Mk3 genuine vw alarm?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Matt01, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Matt01 New Member

Hi guys I thought the car I just bought had a aftermarket alarm on it and wanted to remove it. I took the dash out the car due to how it was installed, tracing all wires etc and it all goes to Vw and also Siemens relays and fuses. Also the code ring but that goes around the ignition barrel doesn't sit right but when removing the dash I found the original VW one tucked away.
    However the one that doesn't sit right also has VW stamped on it, I traced it back and found it going to a box with vw on and then a plug from that going into normal wiring harness.

Did they come with vw alarms? I'm wondering because something isn't normal (at least I don't think so) as there's also a (seperate to alarm wiring) bunch of wires going around the car which then goes to a small circle fitted into the dash, it has a ref light and 3 metal tabs.

So basically to start the car I have to insert this little fob/key/3 prong thing into the circle bit to turn that off or whatever then I have to turn ignition on (but the ignition won't even light up at all) press the alarm fob button which then activates the ignition lights etc then I can start it.

So what I'm asking is really which part if not all is aftermarket? It's a pain in the **** procedure just to start a car!

Any help much appreciated
    Matt

2. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hello, Matt,

Later mk.3's had a factory-fitted immobiliser, the circular reader coil that fits around the ignition key/steering lock and connects to a fag-packet sized immobiliser box attached to a bracket between the bulkhead and the 'knee bar' behind the fascia (above the clutch pedal). It reads a fixed code from a small chip inside the key(s), which has to match with both the immo' box and the engine ecu. An incorrect or missing chip won't stop the engine being started, but it will only run for a moment before stopping.

The other stuff could well be something fitted by the original supplying dealership - there were fac.fitment alarms, but I've only seen them on the late '3.5' convertibles. The warning indicator is mounted in the plastic surround for the drivers' door lock/unlock button, with the control unit right over to the r/h end* of the knee bar, visible with the warning light cluster/light switch removed. The 'proper' bonnet switch was by then incorporated into the bonnet latch, but (going by parts pictures) earlier it was mounted in a small bracket attached to the shelf for the coolant tank, using a spare hole provided for it (the insulation panel sometimes fitted on the underside of the bonnet also has a hole in it at the same point)

* for r/h steering

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  3. Matt01 New Member

Ok thanks for the information think I'll just leave the alarm in and take out the pronged bit (if possible)

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

take pics/get vw part numbers of everything you've got :)

there are 3 versions of the vw immobiliser box and key. you got the mk3 immo 1 version, then around 98 the box changed to immo2 and the reader coil changed shape to suit the later mk4 style keys as fitted to the mk3 cabrio and polo/lupo. then around 2001 ish they changed again to immo 3 for later polo and lupo.

so it may be you have 2 different versions of the immo box, due to ecu and/or engine swap