Vw Mk2 Jetta Coupe 4WD Build.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by waj27, Feb 13, 2017.

1. waj27 Forum Member

Been meaning to post for a while, currently building/ resorting a 1985 Type 19 Jetta Coupe in Champaign Gold. Bought the shell last year and since then been slowly trying to restore it.

The plan is to convert it to right hand drive with a 1.8 20vt BAM engine including the 4wd out of a 225 Audi TT which am currently using as a donor so have all the running gear and sound engine.

How i picked it up, fortunately had all the panels doors,bonnet,boot and glass panels except the windscreen and some of the brown interior bits.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The guy i bought it off had started to strip it down as a build project but decided to sell up

First thing i did when i got it back was have some posts made up to i could wheel it in and out the garage and removed also the bolt on panels just needed the naked shell, first little bits included the custom westy grill am working on and the duck bill splitter which ive both almost finished but will review these later. Got a decent sized garage with access right out my front entrance door can work on the shell without the need to open the main garage door and have room for a small fridge, work bench an tool box which was one thing that sold me when i bought the place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately my shell has the typical rust areas which will need rectifying.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up was to strip back the sound deadening from inside the car and the under seal ***** of a job but got it done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Toyotec and Sirguydo like this.
  2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Nice unit , cars good as well :thumbup:

3. waj27 Forum Member

Done
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The underside fortunately for me i got in touch with vr6syncro off here who sent me some dims so i could get a roll over jig made up which has been a massive help and cant thank him enough

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got the boot floor/wheel well cut out ready for 4wd
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As of this weekend this is the stage ive got to, can only work on it few hours each weekend due to work commitments so this will be a long project but things are in place so just when i get time ill move things along.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the donor car which i picked up for a steal, the lady just wanted to get rid of it as a bin man drove in to the side of it damaging the wheel which was the only thing i needed to replace. total 500
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will get the car TT off the road soon and strip it down once i have a daily car i can use.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  4. vrchrisw New Member

Good work so far and a great plan, will be watching with a keen interest! Does the rear diff / suspension end up being a rallye & TT haldex mix or fully TT parts?

5. waj27 Forum Member

Think it will be fully TT parts as ive tried sourcing a complete syncro rear beam with no luck, so will make the TT rear axle work.

6. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Looks good will be watching :thumbup:

7. saxon New Member

Hi mate have you got any further with this build. Are you still using the tt rear axle

8. waj27 Forum Member

Will update soon, new floors have been welded in place as far as the rear axle not yet but yes will be using the TT axle

9. vr6syncro Paid Member Paid Member

Some excellent work going on here! I'm glad the rollover jig worked out, it really makes life so much easier with the repairs you're doing. Looking forward to more updates.

10. saxon New Member

Looking forward to seeing some more pictures I'm doing basically the same to my mk2 golf I'm not the most technical minded but if I can follow something in pictures I can do most things so please post more lol

11. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

excellent work, keep the updates coming
    Jon

12. waj27 Forum Member

Been really slow on this, only having the odd saturday and sunday means its not everyday i can work on it which is a bit of a paint but ill get there one day.

Wheeled it out the garage as its getting warmer and started on the floors and cutting the rust bits off so far both the floors are in but havent got photos of yet will update soon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My only luck so far is that the inside the sills are still solid
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Inside removed the seat runner points also rusty
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the number one spot on Golfs/Jetta
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Floors out
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New Floor Pan
    [​IMG]

Will get more updates this weekend my welding isnt the best so bit shy to show my welds as ive never welded in my life so new experience, but i did set out to do 95% of the work on this paintwork will be the only area i will leave for someone else and maybe interior bits. Ive just about got all the bits i need for it so its just time that isnt on my side.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  13. waj27 Forum Member

Also today is the final day i get to use the donor car done a good 4k on the clock never failed me once, so at least i know the engine is sound that will be garaged so the race to get it striped is also on, once the floors and sills are in will move onto the rear arches and then the rear axle.

14. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

This is going to be something truly amazing when finished. Brilliantly nuts task I love it

15. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Any updates?

What colour is it going? Staying gold or something else?

16. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I'm so impressed that you're going balls deep and you've never welded before. Nuts!

Looking forward to seeing it finished though

17. danvw799 Paid Member Paid Member

this is going to be good :thumbup:

18. waj27 Forum Member

Thanks for the feed back, Floors are all in and welded. ive also raised the rear half of the tunnel to make room for the prop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rear section of the tunnel
    [​IMG]

Starting works on the rear rust now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plan is to clean all the inner sills up and then epoxy mastic the sills and cavity wax after so far ive cleaned up the one side almost ready for epoxy just got to cut out the rear arches and replace before i paint the underneath.

Also picked up a brandnew rear Jetta bumper with chrome strip as my original had a tow bar so the crush bar was no good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also Picked up a set of 5 G60 lookalike wheel as originally fitted to passats, ET35 offset, 5x100 stud pattern to fit onto the TT setup these will be banded and used as winter wheels as i have some Epsilon mesh 15x10 rear and 15x8s fronts for shows

[​IMG]

Slowly making progress but thankfully my garage is dry and big enough to work

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  19. faithless

faithless CGTI Regional Host

WOW - top work, keep the updates coming :thumbup:

20. waj27 Forum Member

Car Once looked like this will be doing away with the quarter glass for a full glass together with the side strips as mine is a Type 19E so no holes for side strips. Am also having a go at my own westy style grill and the colour am not sure of yet, either keeping it the same or Steel grey which comes on the Mk5 which i had and really like that colour
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]