Audi's new RS5 2.9 V6 twin turbo details.

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by Toyotec, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

At this year's Geneva Motor Show, Audi debuted it's new RS5 Coupe with a newly developed V6 BiTurbo TFSI engine.

Audi-RS3-.jpg Audi-RS7-.jpg

Audi-RS10-.jpg
    The engine was jointly developed with Porsche and there are plans to share it with with the Panamera 4S and other Audi RS models.

This new V6 displaces 2.9 litres and develops 450bhp and 443lbft of torque in the RS5. This allows the 1635 kg Coupe to accelerate to 60mph in 3.9 secs and on to 174mph.
    The old NASP RS5 V8, which developed 444bhp and 314lbft of torque was canned as it was unable to meet future emission and CO2 legislation in the EU and China.

258677_2017_Porsche_Panamera.jpg
    Like the new V8 turbo engines, the twin turbos of this V6 sit centrally between the cylinder banks of the engine on an integrated exhaust manifold. The use of the Miller cycle in this engine also reduces fuel consumption to just 8.7l/100km, some 17% less than the NASP V8 it replaces.

More specs of the engine are below.

audi-rs5-all-new-geneva-5.jpg audi-rs5-all-new-geneva-6.jpg

Other highlights of the RS5 Coupe also shared. Yours for just 80000 Euros.

Audi-RS5-.jpg audi-rs5-all-new-geneva-1.jpg audi-rs5-all-new-geneva-38.jpg audi-rs5-all-new-geneva-40.jpg Audi-RS10-.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. Desertstorm

Desertstorm Paid Member Paid Member

This article describes some of the technical sides of the 4.4 V8 in the Panamera. The 2.9 is essentially a V8 with 2 cylinders chopped off.
    http://articles.sae.org/14923/
    Interesting to see that they have gone for an air to water intercooler rather than air to air. Don't know whether that was because of packaging issues or weight saving, maybe a bit of both.
    With such a flat torque profile I am sure that the car is very tuneable but ultimately I suspect that the fact the turbo's spool so early they must be fairly small so the top end power may not be there.

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I will have a read of that article. Very informative.
    That engine in the Porsche I read is lightly boosted at 0.4 bar!