Mk2 GTI Body Restoration

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by 89Alpine, Mar 13, 2017.

1. 89Alpine Forum Member

Sunroof, front doors and tailgate were sprayed today

IMG_7110.jpg
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    IMG_7107.jpg
    IMG_7108.jpg
    IMG_7109.jpg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  2. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

3. 89Alpine Forum Member

Hi All - advice needed! I've noticed that the wide plastic trims that run along the doors on mine do not have the red stripe along the top. I've got a sales brochure from 1989 which says that this should be standard on mine, but having done some google image searches not all white ones appear to have them (although this could of course be because people have swapped them out at some point). So I suppose the question is, would my car have definitely left the factory with the red stripe along the side? Thanks!

4. thecreator New Member

I have an oak green small bumper gti and these had red stripped bumpers, when I repainted it I put the vinyl red strip back on the panels. Vw heritage sell them

89Alpine likes this.
  5. 89Alpine Forum Member

Thanks! I've had a look on the Heritage site. It can't find them - will drop them an email.

6. damien.wrl Forum Member

The red stripe is a semi spherical stick on strip, was fitted to above wide side plastics, earlier cars had the red stripe as part of the moulding, on an 89 you could probably get away with the last option which was a decal which the plastic trim sat on... cope on here was remanufacturing them at some point, the red stripe you are after is like hens teeth... hope this makes sense

Mine, stick on strip

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    89Alpine likes this.
  7. lostkat

lostkat Paid Member Paid Member

Oh man, this looks incredible. I also have a small bumper Alpine White GTi (1987 8v kjet) and wasn't keen on the colour when I bought it. It's grown on me too though :) Just for reference, mine has the red strips as per the above post. Think it's a bit older than yours though as it has the quarter lights.

Can't wait to see yours finished. It's going to look awesome :thumbup:

89Alpine likes this.
  8. 89Alpine Forum Member

Damien - thanks for that, really useful. Recon I can live with a decal! Now to find some. Your car looks pretty special by the way. Hope to see it at a show in the future!

Thanks lostkat - yours if definitely older, mine's an '89.

I'm collecting it from the bodyshop on the 21st August, although I'm a little concerned that it looks to be sitting quite high on the BBS RMs (they wear stretched 45 section tyres, so a far lower profile than the wheels coming off which I think is the problem) so may need to look at some new lowering springs to replace the unknown ones currently on it.....

9. damien.wrl Forum Member

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    89Alpine likes this.
  10. vwjaytech

vwjaytech Forum Member

11. 89Alpine Forum Member

thanks for the link, Damien.

And nice GTI (and red stripe!) Jay!

12. vwjaytech

vwjaytech Forum Member

IMG_5385.jpg dont think you can get them anymore i was lucky that mine had them it dose make a differents in looks but you can get the decals for it. the golf looking good m8

13. 89Alpine Forum Member

Thanks - have PM'd Cope.

14. 89Alpine Forum Member

No response from Cope, so have asked the bodyshop to look into knocking some red stripes up. They're already going to be sorting the black sill sticker for me as well as applying the black swage line ones I bought from Heritage.

Have also bought a new Bosch battery (don't want to take any chances with the one in it at the moment, as it's been sitting around flat for the majority of the past 8 months.) as well as a cut off switch. I'm not putting the bonnet lifters that were on the car back on as they weren't in great condition and prefer the idea of going back to standard, so have bought a new stay and grommet.

I'm struggling to get hold of a wiper blank plug so am going to try to re-assemble the one that came off the car - it's not in the best shape though!

All going well I'm collecting the car this coming Friday/Saturday :-)

15. vwjaytech

vwjaytech Forum Member

cant wait to some photo`s 89alpine :thumbup:

16. 89Alpine Forum Member

Thanks Jay - I'm looking forward to seeing it too.

My biggest concern is still the suspension as I recon it's going to sit far too high. I recon I'm going to end up putting coilovers on it to get the right height, so if anyone has any recommendations (or brands to avoid) it would be good to hear them. I'll be looking to keep cost down here as I've already blown my budget out of the water. Has anyone had any experience of these AP ones?

Thinking of taking it to TSR just to get some bought, fitted and adjusted in one hit. They're not far from where the car is in near Bath/Bristol.

17. damien.wrl Forum Member

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  18. 89Alpine Forum Member

Thanks Damien. Have messaged Brownstickers.

I hear what you're saying about ride height, but on the new wheels/low profile tyres I think it might be a bit too much.... we'll see.

19. 89Alpine Forum Member

So the car is now back together (including red stripes which have been made and applied) however the swage line decals I bought from heritage aren't right and it's missing the black sill decals (that one is my fault, bit of a communications breakdown!) but I have these on order from heritage. So I'm collecting this weekend in its current state. The bodyshop had also planned on repairing the sagging headlining but I'm told it's too far gone so would be good to get some advice on that - I know this is really rare so suspect salvaging the current board is the only way to go. Will post pictures once I've got the car and have sorted the storage issues on my OneDrive account!

20. 89Alpine Forum Member

golf01.jpg

Collecting from the bodyshop - looks low at back as boot is full of wheels.

golf 1.jpg

A mate who's into car detailing came round - spent a couple of hours putting expensive products on the car!

golf 2.jpg

golf3.jpg

golf5.jpg

Really happy with how its turned out, but still a few things to sort including the headlining, swage line and sill stickers, stick on the refurb'd rear badge and to get someone to look at the steering as it feels very light when cornering right..... thought wheel alignment may have fixed this but apparently not.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Sirguydo likes this.