'86 GTI Resto - A Step into the Unknown.

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Jason_E, May 1, 2017.

1. Jason_E New Member

As with any Volkswagen enthusiast, the Golf GTI has always been a car I want to own. A few years back I was lucky enough to complete that need, by buying a MK5 GTi. It was everything I wanted and more, it really was a car that could do no wrong and selling it was one of the biggest regrets I have!

Fast forward to now, I'm currently driving a '98 Volvo V70 TDi to and from work, and at the weekends I have a 2007 BMW M3 to drive. It's quite a nice mix of polar opposite cars, and I love them both for their own charms. But something in me still wanted another GTI! But this time, I wanted something a bit more special. The car that really got me into Golf GTI's was the MK2. When I was growing up (in the 90's and early 00's) these seemed to be a much more common sight than they are to day. Eventually when I started driving I got into the VW scene a bit more, and even owned a MK1 Driver at one point. However, the MK2 seemed to slip past me for one reason or another. That was until last week my trigger happy ebay finger landed me with this.

[​IMG]MK2 GTI by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

It's a 1986 Golf GTI with 175k on the clock, and affectionately dubbed the "ugly duckling". I wanted a small bumper car, but didn't want to pay the prices that some are commanding these days! So I was up for a bit of project, and this ticks quite a few boxes. Firstly, it seems to have escaped 3 decades without being ruined. No crash history, no masses of rot, and no dodgy mods... Okay, the 90's maybe left their mark on this car with those smoked Hella rears, but otherwise it's just an honest car.

I was quite surprised when the seller told me it'd do the drive back home fine, and that I wouldn't need transport. After all, it may have a years MOT, but according to its history its barely moved in the last 10 years. So I was a little dubious, but I shouldn't have been. It was a lovely drive home, and although I promised myself (and my Mrs who was following me back) to take it easy, I couldn't help giving it a blast down some local backroads.

Currently the car is at a great storage place locally, so I dont have to worry about it sitting to rot again. Today I popped over to do a quick check over, and massive clean of the interior as it was a bit minging. So far I've found areas of rust in the rear wheel arches, and some surface rust in spots all over. Obviously theres mismatched paint, dents and other such things. The idea is to get the thing mechanically sound, and then send it for a full weld up and respray.

[​IMG]Untitled by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

Anyway, enough blabber. Thats my sad sad tale of inevitable financial ruin, I'll try keep this all updated as I go along.

2. anthony3p Paid Member Paid Member

I had the exact car, same colour, year etc back in the 90's. It drove great, I think the kjet helped. Your car even has its original rubber gear gaitor rather than a later leatherette version. Good luck with the project!

3. 89Alpine Forum Member

Great stuff! Looks like we're embarking on similar journeys. Will you be doing the work yourself?

4. Jason_E New Member

Cheers! I wondered why I hadn't seen many with this gear gator!

I struggle to find the time these days, but I do what I can. Rust repair and paint is beyond me however! I'll enjoy taking it apart and rebuilding it with new/refurbished bits for sure, but I'll enjoy driving it more.

5. mightytooms New Member

I love the small bumper mk2's, what will you be doing with this one?

6. Jason_E New Member

Full resto to factory spec!

Managed to get a bit of a bargain. Full set, 70. Went and collected them last night! They'll get a refurb to factory spec, and I'll try get the 2 missing centre caps replaced. They're rare and go for too much money, so I'll just draw them up in CAD and send them off to be made by someone probably!

[​IMG]

7. 8bitAl Forum Member

My pet hate right there; knock on weights on alloy wheels.[:x]

good luck with the resto, mate.

Alex. :)

8. Jason_E New Member

I know right, whats wrong with people?!

Managed to get some work done on this over the weekend. Firstly, dropped those Smoked Hellas out for some standard Hellas. Much better

However, the bumper on the back is lol grey. I'm going to buy a new one once its resprayed, so for now I used a tin of halfords "Bumper paint" to bring it up a bit.

Then went to a driving range with the mrs, so token Golf-at-Golf photo.

Ordered a 1986 Golf Brochure off ebay, as well as a blank spare key lol. Not much I can do with it right now but just enjoy driving it, it really is an antidote to the M3. As much as the BMW is addictively fast, all the fun is had at very high speed and can be knackering after a day of hooning. The Golf however is so easy to take to the limit and beyond, its proper pure fun.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

dark grey is actually the correct colour for the small bumpers :)

10. Jason_E New Member

A few things have changed in the last few months, but the Golf laid fairly unchanged for some time.

Since the last update, I've had a few areas of rust sorted out. Mainly those around the rear floor, and rear arches. They didn't warrant as much repair as first thought, and overall the shell is more solid than I was budgeting for which is nice!

I've also taken the effort of fitting a fairly period correct radio, although a little bit too late its better than a gap and plays cassettes yo!

On Monday however, the car took its big step into the bodyshop! As I drove it out of storage, I had to get some snaps with its D plated friend (The Cossie) and my 2 month old GTI!

Currently, it looks like this. Some more rust repair at the bottom of the A pillar and around the windscreen, and a few scabs on the front arch too. Also, look at all that filler in the door! Guess we're going to find out what lurks beneath (Financial ruin, probably).

11. Jason_E New Member

Well, my Christmas has come early.

Absolutely blown away with the work done (JF Bodyworks). I dont really want to post these pictures as the AWFUL (and wrong) state of the wheels really take away from the hard work, but the paint is just so good I cant help but show it off!

So obviously it needs the wheels I picked up the other day, as these are wrong, and hanging. There's also a few trim bits that need attending to (GTI badge with some hammerite red paintjob needs to go back to silver, side trims have flakes of red missing so that'll need some magic).

The interior is my next big mission though. The drivers seat just needs a proper going over, I'm hoping to source a passenger seat and rebuild my drivers one using its foam and cover. The whole thing needs a deep deep clean, probably a wet vac will do it! Oh, and the headlining is sagging at the rear. Basically, my next expense will be an automotive trimmer! Uh-oh....

Still the car is looking stunning, and I'm so happy with how the paint turned out. It seemed so far away just a couple of weeks ago, the car was looking very sorry for itself and I felt like it'll never be done. Now with just a respray the end feels in sight!

Sirguydo and beetie like this.
  12. sports racer Forum Member

Easy to see why you're so proud. It's a beautiful looking car. :thumbup:

13. 89Alpine Forum Member

very nice! Looking forward to seeing it on the new wheels.

14. Jason_E New Member

Sirguydo likes this.
  15. 89Alpine Forum Member

Looks great!

16. damien.wrl Forum Member

Looks superb, but would look better with the silver grill badge imo...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  17. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Very nice , nice work done so far ( as with old cars theres always more to do ) .
    Enjoy the fruits of your hard work and hard earned well spent money .

18. Jason_E New Member

Many thanks people!

This has now been restored using a tin of Halfords bumper paint, and one of the great refurb decals from ebay member grafshed. The red wasn't even done well, and looked crap anyway. Originality ftw!

Unfortunately it broke down at the weekend, suspected ran too empty and needs some help getting back to life. Runs for about 5 seconds and dies at the moment, trying more fuel first to see if that helps. Then ill start changing filters etc.

19. damien.wrl Forum Member

A new badge is about 15 if I recall correctly, hopefully just a blockage somewhere , are both fuel pumps working?

20. Jason_E New Member

Cant get this type of badge anywhere it was a nightmare but looks so good now Ive sorted it. :).

Yeah the fuel pump primes and it starts fine just dies seconds later, seems to be a common K-JET issue with lots of solutions haha