My Atlas Grey 1989 MK2 GTI 16V

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by vealige, May 23, 2017.

1. vealige Forum Member

Well after not posting on here for nearly 10 years decided that I wanted another MK2 after have a few 16Vs, G60, VR6 and an R32 in the past. I was after a tidy 16V and wanted something as close to standard as possible. I actually stumbled across the car randomly on Gumtree and kind of recognised it from back in the day when I was on here more regularly. I wasn't really looking at the time and after a few questions and some pictures I couldn't believe my luck. This was one of the pictures sent and I knew that the car was going to be super tidy :)

[​IMG]

As it was literally the other end of the country to me decided to trailer it home. When I actually viewed the car it was in even better condition then the pictures showed and doesn't look like its covered 136K. It has also never had an advisory on an MOT as far back as the electronic records well it did child seat fitted but that doesn't really count. lol

So quickly exchanged money got it on the trailer and hit the road for the long journey back to Cornwall. Got a puncture on the trailer on the way home but luckily I took a few tools with me.

[​IMG]

On the way to picking up the car managed to source a rare set of 7 X 15 BBS RA as I have never personally been a fan of Sebrings. So got them on the car as soon as possible which in my opinion transformed the way it looked.
    [​IMG]

First night tucked up in the garage with C63. Always a difficult choice on which one to drive :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

So the car has had a few subtle modifications but if anything they add to it so uprated ARBs, Koni adjustable shocks/40mm lowered, Supersprint exhaust, MK3 Colour Concepts Leather interior, Momo Course steering wheel etc... The history file that came with the car was borderline obsessive kept me busy for a few hours filing it all in date order. The car is such a credit to its pervious owner who has clearly loved it and I fully intend to keep it in the same condition and try to return as much back to near standard as possible.

So decided to do a slight bit of tidying to the engine bay nothing major just kept it subtle replaced the header tank and got a VR6 cloth battery cover as I always hated the way you see a MK2 battery.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

The next thing on the cards is to source an original stereo and also an original leather steering wheel to take the inside back to standard, but a few pics of the current interior. I want to keep the colour concept seats as they are lovely and comfy but I think they suit the car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's it for now except for currently it is suffering from an annoying cold start problem. Be lovely if the previous owner to who I bought the car off is still on here just to let you know she is in safe hands in Cornwall [:D]

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That is one clean Valver! Good to see it's in safe hands.

Will we still it at many shows this year?

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

thats my old car had it about 21 years if you need to know anything

4. faithless

faithless CGTI Regional Host

that's super clean, love the colour as well

5. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Gorgeous example. Well done [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

btw stil got the orig stereo here if you want to purchase it....

7. waj27 Forum Member

Wow that really clean, must of parted away with some hard cash! but good buy.

8. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

I thought I recognised that grey paint underneath from the classifieds on here early last year? I would probably of had it if I had the cash spare then, but I couldn't really look after it as well.

9. vealige Forum Member

It's an absolute credit how good a condition its in and how you kept everything. If the original stereo still works I'd take it off your hands. Must have been hard to part with after 21 years.

10. pigbladder Forum Addict

no way of testing the radio..its been indoors sinse i took it out

bit more of whats been done from memory

2 speed rad fan
    missing linkz gear linkage
    headlight loom /relays
    90a alternator + splash sheild
    bigger rad with genuine hoses
    mk4 rear calipers
    g60 front brakes
    g60 arb
    vibratechnics front mount , g60 rear
    wur mod
    stainless tank straps
    most fixing replaced with stainless
    ed1 spec /chromolux rear screen...was brand new
    scirroco tilt sunroof keeping orig lid /paintwork

prob some other bits i will remember

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  11. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Looks lovely credit to its previous owners, the RA's look perfect on it :thumbup:

12. vealige Forum Member

Don't forget the 3rd brake light, LEDs replacements in things like the electric window switches Colour concept seats and a lot of TLC over the years.

It genuinely is lovely, yeah really pleased with them although probably need a slight refurb as the diamond cut lip won't last!

I would have paid more put it like that, and there are plenty for sale now more then what I paid in no where near the same condition [:s]

So the starting problem is now cured in the end looks like it was the Ignition coil but it gave me time to look over everything following the 16V guide and making sure the basics were all set up properly. I did replace the Dizzy for a new bosch unit and had to re-tap where the Dizzy bolted in as at some pointed it had been slightly cross threaded but and the bolt wouldn't grip but it was an easy fix :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Annoyingly whilst fiddling about I felt a slight play in the alternator bearings and water pump and you could notice a bit of noise when the engine was running. So decided to replace them both ensuring I kept the 90A setup already on the car and managed to get a OEM spec water pump also.

[​IMG]

Next I managed to source a genuine leather MK2 steering wheel in great condition so got it fitted to try and get the interior back as close to standard
    [​IMG]

After my starting woes and a the new coil and dizzy on it was time to re-time everything and setup the CO to 2% and adjust the idle. Borrowed a mates Gas analyser was a bit off at 4.7%
    [​IMG]

But after some adjusting was sitting pretty at 2.0%
    [​IMG]

Quick run up the lane confirmed it was running lovely, smooth idle and literally starts on the key now hot or cold happy days and time to get her booked in for an MOT :)

Finished up today with a quick wash had to get the obligatory snow foam shot before putting her back to bed with the AMG :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    notenoughtime and Sirguydo like this.