S3 trackcar

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by notenoughtime, Jun 16, 2017.

1. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

So you guys ask for pics and not even a reply, it gets worse on here! ;)

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Next Thursday...Might pop by :thumbup:

3. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

You need to change your user id to notenoughS3s lol

Defo got potential this one :thumbup:

notenoughtime likes this.
  4. Classic VW Cup New Member

5. notenoughtime

Ill have a look into it :thumbup:

We couldnt adjust the mirrors so swapped the ones from the white car today, some new competition nankang NS2Rs as I think it may be a little damp next week and the slicks wont cut it lol

Yellow Audi is having a full cage fitted and should be ready tomorrow but is definitely going to need to go on a diet lol once that is back Ill send the white car off for a full cage so its ready if we need it

Tomorrows plans are to get the passenger seat fitted and sort the manifold blow and we are ready!

6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Black S3 my kind of car, no bling, just the parts needed to make it go...
    Jon

7. notenoughtime

Thanks Jon definitely no bling lol needs some tidying in places

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Danger is if you spend too long making a show car, you can get frightened to use it, in case it gets scratched!
    Keep us updated
    Jon

9. notenoughtime

Another interior shot, padding has been changed today as was horrible faded red colour.

The manifold to turbo gasket has also been changed which was a bit of a pain to do as whoever fitted it previously used 16mm nuts and there was no way of getting a spanner on them as its an aftermarket tubular manifold so driveshaft, downpipe, wishbone had to be removed just for this one gasket! Ive changed them to cap head bolts for easy maintenance in the future, but I will change them again for multispline nuts with studs once Ive ordered them.

Didnt manage to sort the seat today as had to collect a track prepared Clio 172 this morning which we will take Thursday also

D44F2A5D-4825-4030-9275-057AA17C41F0.jpg

Toyotec and 1.8T_mk2 like this.
  10. notenoughtime

Only just got home after an early start today As usual few bits left till the last minute! [:s] but passenger seat mounts welded in and matching seat fitted and harness fitted

Yellow car was collected this morning at 7am from cage fabricators then had to have seats refitted and signwriting applied

Ive dropped the Clio off tonight at brands as we are a trailer short lol but thats ready to go in the morning

James W and Savagesam like this.
  11. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Have a good day!

12. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Keep us posted on your progress.

13. notenoughtime

Well after a hell of a night as our dog was scared of the wind blowing a gale from 2am and not getting much more than 4 hours sleep we headed off at 6.30am to sit in a 2 hour traffic jam at the dartford crossing, just what you need after a night like that![:s]

It was bit of a mix up as briefing was at 8.30 and it was 8.25 by the time we pulled into the paddock, so a rush into the briefing room, signing on then unload the cars for sighting laps (we didnt make these) and then the noise test definitely not the usual way around!

During the briefing there was a mention of things being loose on the cars and Id forgot to bolt the hinges on! I had remembered at 6.30 but hadnt actually remembered to pick the bolts up from the workshop!!! We had no spares with us but the Clio was there and donated several 8mm bolts from its slam panel.

We were just about to go out for delayed sighting laps and another vehicle had decided to drop the contents of its gearbox oil around the track on its first lap, definitely not the best start to the day lol

Fueling the Clio up at garage the previous night

9E180E7A-FCE5-4E0F-8F8F-E8E20CFAA266.jpg

0DB600C3-5046-4CB7-8FCD-E549E62804F7.jpg

0089DA45-17B4-4CFF-852C-635D11935FCC.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Sirguydo likes this.
  14. zx10rdazza Forum Member

What seats are those in the Clio, I quite like them.

15. zx10rdazza Forum Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2018
  16. notenoughtime

17. notenoughtime

Following on from where I left off (much respect to Nige for his updates as this takes time to get it right :thumbup:)

The old yellow Audi now signwritten by new owner and black Audi behind ready for the first laps

A95A6A30-ED95-4298-8120-13960C554034.jpeg

So new black car is lhd and takes a little getting used to but the difference with the gripper diff is amazing, you think your sliding on the exit of the bend and apply the power and it just pulls the car in and your off screaming into the next corner accelerating passed anything infront of you apart from the race prepped E46 m3 and the skyline which had awesome straight line speed but left a little to be desired in the corners

I went out first in the Audi doing 2-3 laps at a steady speed getting the feel of the car, brakes definitely need to warm up and have less feel than the yellow car which is running Set cupra brembo 4 pot calipers, I do have a spare set so may add these in the coming months as I feel the initial grab isnt there! But still do what there meant to, next couple of laps were quick but I was still getting a feel for it. I brought the car in as coming out of paddock there was some rubbing as Id got the speed up and we found a screw holding the rear bumper on was sticking out slightly so we decided to remove that and see how it went next, a quick check on tyre pressures and they were at about 40psi so this was dropped down to 30psi as they were still warm

Nigel was out next and was a bit nervous due to the lhd and the fact he hadnt driven it yet! I was in the passenger seat giving some guidance (hopefully lol) and we got the lines much smoother, the rear wheel seemed to have stopped the rubbing and after a few laps we came in for a check over. All was good and I left Nigel to go out on his own

I thought Id give the Clio a go and found there wasnt a towing eye on the front and had to search through the marshals bucket of spare towing eyes in case of me going off! :o

Whilst I was sorting this there were a couple of offs by other guys, which seemed cold tyres were the reason! These being a fiesta Zetec s and an RX8 (who was with us) he obviously got a serious ribbing once he was back in the pits!

This was posted by some fellow drivers (I dont recommend holding a phone whilst in the passenger seat) or driving lol

[video=youtube_share;aOSXjikYXr8]https://youtu.be/aOSXjikYXr8[/video]

Once Id found the correct towing eye I was allowed on track and as I did in the Audi I had 2-3 calm laps to get a feel for the car, although a little down on power these Clios really do like to rev and are quite punchy with a nice lift off over steer which is very controllable, I then came back into the pits and a quick check over and Was all good so straight back out for some more very enjoyable laps my only down side is the tyres as they are Toyo proxes and I feel they roll onto there sides to much!

More to follow

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  18. James W

James W Motorsport Moderator

19. notenoughtime

Cheers James I was just going to post that link up :thumbup:

Ill update the days events shortly

20. notenoughtime

He Wasnt out much tbh