S3 trackcar

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by notenoughtime, Jun 16, 2017.

1. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

A few weeks ago I had a call saying there was a S3 for sale that had been stripped and fitted with bucket seats a few calls were made and a yellow S3 arrived at my workshop
    Spec as follows

Stripped interior and fitted with Cobra bucket seats, sparco harnesses and OMP wheel with removal boss
    17in rota alloys fitted with nakang ns2r's
    Coilovers (unknown at moment)
    Apparently remapped to 260 bhp @ wheels

The spec also included no compression hence 12 bent valves, a fried water pump and a cam belt that looked like it had caught fire, I spoke to the previous owner and he said he didn't know much about what happened but rocker cover was loose so I suspect he forgot to tell me those bits! [:x]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A second hand BAM head was sourced which I bolted on fitted with new gaskets, head bolts a new cam belt kit and water pump spun it over and we had compression so far so good! Well it's never that simple is it!
    No spark so checked the fuses and found nothing, time was running out that day so it was pushed out of the workshop and resided there till last night!

Eddie popped in to look at the 4 motion that is for sale and I asked if he had vagcom with him which of course he did :thumbup: he plugged it in and we didn't have power to the ecu, he checked the fuses and found nothing so the hunt continued, stripped out the scuttle traced the wires back to ecu and no power from fuse 15 checked fuse 15 and it was blown!!! [:s] so two of us had checked the fuses and both missed fuse 15 how's that possible? New fuse fitted and ecu powered up and turned it over and it fired. But could start it as the pin was still in the tensioner which I had left in just in case it had to come apart again. It was now 8pm so packed up and came home

So a massive thank you toyotec :thumbup:

Today I removed the pin checked the timing and it started first go, so I can now get the ancillaries fitted up and fill cooling system and get it down to the mot station in the next week or so

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Sirguydo, bigeyd, HPR and 1 other person like this.
  2. Rooster

Rooster Paid Member Paid Member

Good work:thumbup:

3. notenoughtime

The car also arrived without a drivers seat which was a shame not to have a matching pair but not a massive issue, I bolted in one of the atech seats today from the beige car for now just so I could have a drive all seems good
    Just need to bleed brakes and hopefully get to brands on a weds eve within the next couple of weeks

4. notenoughtime

Some of you may have seen I was offered some seat Leon cupra R brembo calipers which I could not refuse ( can you see the pattern?) I was then asked am I interested in the rest of the car? Stripped out but was running apart from no wheels or battery

5. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Oh dear! Another one on the way?

Plan on keeping this one? The yellow is a bit... Loud for myself.

6. notenoughtime

It's only a track car so yellow will fine! The cupra is here already and some decent bucket seats came with it so now have two usable track cars I did think I could rent one out to people if they don't have something to use I'll get some pics up later

7. notenoughtime

Pic of the Leon

[​IMG]

I need to loose the stupid bonnet scoop and sort the windows and get the seats mounted

8. notenoughtime

Bought a rear cage today just for added safety

Need to bleed the brakes and take it for a test drive it's got to go for mot anyway so a blast to the mot should be fun

9. notenoughtime

Went to brands after work today, probably not the best day as it started to rain as I got to the darford crossing!

Nice mk3 vr6 there which was still N/A with cams etc full cage was going well considering the weather, also a seat lean cupra R which the driver said he hadn't used for about 4 years but said it wasn't far of the pace of his vw cup car

Planning to book an event in the coming weeks as soon as I've got the brakes sorted

Going to use the Brembo 4 pots that I've got for the beige car until something else comes along, I've also looked at the suspension and the rear adjusters have been removed? So the car is very low I'll will put these back in as reading nige's thread my setup will cause issues with understeer as it is.

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

8L s3s are pretty neutral in handling and even a bit 'numb'.
    There is a BC Racing suspension kit for them and you will need adjustable rear bars to correct the rear camber.

11. notenoughtime

It's got adjustable rear bars already and adjustable arb joints to

12. Toyotec

Good already been done.

Rather than transfer the brake calipers from the lighter LCR, I would invest in a good set of pads and Super Dot 4 fluid, as your 8L S3 ATE front brake setup does have a lot of surface area to create braking friction.
    DS uno 1.1 pads comes to mind and ATE TYP200 brake fluid.

Ensure the ABS system is operational as that also electronically determines the braking bias.

Of course raise the car to achieve parallel front wishbones would be a good starting point and then have the lot professionally tracked with 0 toe. The rears camber on an S3 do tend to have just a tad of camber as std. Use the arms to set it at 0-0.5 deg negative.

Take it out on track and get used to it and build up confidence and pace from there.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    funbagjuggler and notenoughtime like this.
  13. notenoughtime

Picked the cage up and some new tyres today

[​IMG]

14. Toyotec

Coming together nicely Carey!
    Will be well different the next I see it.

15. notenoughtime

Saturday I will be positioning the seat for my liking, bleeding the brakes and possibly fit the cage in, think an early start will be in order with a fry up first thing!

16. notenoughtime

Today started with finishing the pipework off in the engine bay, which will need more tidying but now fully up and running, removed the wheels and bled the brakes but had a dodgy bleed nipple on the rear calipers so replaced those but still have a soft pedal! Will try again in the week
    The drivers seat had an after market base which was making the seat to high so that was removed and I made brackets welded across the tunnel to inner sill getting the seat much lower prob 4-5 inches
    The cage I bought is to short and needs to much work to get to fit so I'll copy the hoop and bend some 45mm CDS tube and fabricate a new one with some 38mm for the rest of the cage as per MSA blue book, luckily the cage looks like it will go in the Leon with less work so it's not a total waste of time and money!

Eddie the car originally had 4 pots fitted but were removed before I got it, I've bolted the 4 pots on with new brembo passed will see how it performs
    The wheels don't fit now due to the calipers as offset on the wheels is low, but ordered 4x25mm spacers bolt on type, which should get things back on track! :)

I've also raised the front coilovers by an inch, which has put the bottom arms at just parallel but I think it needs a few more mm I'll see how it performs at brands hopefully on the 11th

17. notenoughtime

25mm bolt on spacers arrived today as well as the pad retaining kit which was the right set after 3 different orders so got those on which has made the wheels fit the S3 arches perfectly with the 235/45/17 tyres
    Also welded the passenger seat mounts across the tunnel so just brackets to fabricate and weld in place which should be an hours work tomorrow eve

The list is getting shorter

Rear coilovers to sort
    Passenger seat to mount
    Bleed the brakes
    TOW stickers for front and rear bumpers
    Drivers door has some of the usual rust, but will get that sorted this week at least in primer

I'll sort some pics out later this evening

18. notenoughtime

19. notenoughtime

Passenger seat is now fitted, brakes are bled and feel great, tow stickers fitted

Still need to sort rear springs and breather pipe on cam cover

Mot tomorrow

Sirguydo likes this.
  20. notenoughtime

So passed the mot and the mot guy impressed on the way home hit a pot hole and the rear lower control arm snaps!!!

Luckily it's not next week at brands, I've ordered two new adjustable lower control arms which helps anyway

When I removed the arms that have ovaled the mounting points so all good to get new ones