mk1 golf brakes sticking

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by dubztubz, Jul 12, 2017.

1. dubztubz Forum Member

I upgraded the golf with mk2 servo&master cylinder,i cut the thread on the mk2 servo down and put the clevis pin on to the last and did away with lock nut.also had a go at making the linkage bar across the bulk head shorter,but the brakes are still sticking on :( has any one got any ideas to try and sort it

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Sticking calipers? Are you 110% sure the master cylinder is returning fully?

3. dubztubz Forum Member

how do you check it.car will drive perfectly for about 10 miles or so then brake pedal gets solid and brakes start to hold

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah sounds like the clevis needs adjusting

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

next time it happens crack off the 2 nuts holding the master cylinder on. if the brakes release then some adjustment needed in the linkage, add some slack. also check the return spring is fitted right on the mk1 clevis pin (you did fit the mk1 clevis pin right?)

if it still stays locked up did you replace the brake flexis they can break down. also if you fitted rear discs you need to remove the residual pressure valves near the bottom of the bulkhead on the rear pipes

6. dubztubz Forum Member

hi jonny

fitted mk1 clevis pin and cut down thread on mk2 servo by 10mm iirc going by mk1 owners guide.also chucked the lock nut from the servo

sure the return spring on fits one way.any one got clear picture of return spring fitted on clevis pin and ill double check it

fitted rears discs mk3 set up,did not use them pressure valves

when brakes start coming on its all 4 corners.jacked each corner up yesterday when it happened

I made linkage bar across bulk head short as I could. screwed the bar towards drivers side and pedal came up a bit.need to try and sort it as mate wants me to use car for his wedding in august

7. rubjonny

sounds like you did everything properly then, is this any help:
    [​IMG]

8. dubztubz Forum Member

yea same as whats in the car.i cant get any adjustment on the clevis pin as its wound in as far as I could get it.can you get any adjustments on the brake pedal its self I wonder.some one also said about spacers behind servo

9. rubjonny

yeah thats same as what I did, the clevis pin was wound on as far as it can go job done. theres a bit of adjustment at the pedal end IIRC, just make sure there is some slack in the system even when everythign is nice and hot

10. dubztubz Forum Member

moved brake pedal about 5mm towards bulkhead left linkage at bulkhead alone and went for spin,brakes still locked up this time worse I had 13mm socket so opened the mc nuts few mm off it did nothing brakes still locked on
    seems that its the bulkhead linkage needs very fine adjusting to get it right.is any one able to measure the linkage in a mk1 that they had to adjust

11. rubjonny

so you released the master cylinder from the servo and it was still locked? if so its nothing to do with the servo or linkage, the problem is in the hydraulic side

12. dubztubz Forum Member

could air in the system cause it ? I did bleed the brakes plus held the brake valve under car open towards axle

13. rubjonny

wouldn't have thought so, could give it another try. sounds liek MC to me if all 4 corners are stickign though

14. dubztubz Forum Member

I'll try bleeding them again,jacked up each corner and all are effected

15. Tristan

Brake servo valve on the right way?

16. dubztubz Forum Member

Yep arrow pointing to inlet manifold.took it off and checked it to see it's working ok

17. dubztubz Forum Member

how should the rear brake valve spring be set ? I left my loose don't know if that's the right way or not

18. rubjonny

the oem process you need a set of pressure gauges, when I do them I just take the slack out of the spring that does the job.

when you bleed them you have to clamp it all the way open, so the direction it moves when the beam moves upwards with more weight in the back

19. Tristan

Won't cause the brakes to stick on though, just a spongey pedal

20. dubztubz Forum Member

Going to take out servo/Mc to double check the measurements
    Not getting any luck on bar across bulk head.i left the spring loose was just wondering how it should be