First start-up advice

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by odub, Jul 18, 2017.

1. odub Forum Member

I've got another ignition amplifier I can borrow to check with. I shall look for voltage whislt cranking tonight.
    If the crank position sensor was duff, would this stop the coil pack from firing?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

it would, but as eddie says the ecu will flag it as a fault if crank sensor isnt working we can rule it out

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

We have to assume the owner is no fool and has reported accurately what he has witnessed or ruled out.

The injectors were reported to be firing then the ECU is working and the fuel pump relay is likely to be triggered for fuel supply.
    In addition, you will not be communicate with an ECU for fault diagnostics if it is offline.

Therefore the first 'going in' point is why there is no spark and work from there.

4. odub Forum Member

A bit of an update,
    There is 100% power to the ecu. There is power at the coil plug pin 15, there is a good earth to coil plug pin 4a. I have maintained power at pin 15 whilst cranking. I had the multimeter reading across pin 15 and pin 1 expecting there to be a reading when the ecu fires that coil plug but nothing.

Any further advice is highly appreciated and I don't mind handing out beer tokens either if it gets running
    (I'm still to swap out the ignition amp and crank sensor but that will have to wait until tomorrow)

5. odub Forum Member

The engine is running. It was the crank sensor and once changed, it fired immediately

Toyotec likes this.