Warm start problem 1990 8V GTI Digifant

Discussion in '8-valve' started by fay970l, Jul 24, 2017.

1. fay970l New Member

Hi All
    I have just purchased an 8v GTI Digifant & have a problem where it's difficult to start when warm. It idles & drives well once running. No problems starting from cold & it will start warm if I disconnect the blue sensor. So far I have replaced the blue sensor with a new OEM item, replaced dizzy cap & rotor arm & checked all of the earths. I'm guessing from the fact it starts with the blue sensor disconnected it is more likely to be a fueling problem.
    Any ideas where I should start please?

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Possible areas without seeing the car myself are, faulty AFM, damaged fuel pressure regulator, low fuel pressure or poor engine set up.

Vague as I said because the car is not in front of me.

3. fay970l New Member

Thanks. It runs really well when going. Was going to try fuel pressure regulator next anyway, so will start with that.

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Unlikely to be fuel pressure if unplugging the blue ecu sensor changes things. I'd like suspicious of the ecu or the track on the AFM.

5. fay970l New Member

We've now tried a known good AFM, a new lift pump, spark plugs & fuel pressure regulator & still very difficult to start when warm. I'm now not sure the blue sensor makes much difference when disconnected. Sometimes when its disconnected it will instantly start & other times it makes no difference. I've checked there's fuel flowing to the injectors when the key is turned & the engine cranked, although I have not measured the amount of fuel. Should I keep looking at the fuel system or now widen the search to ignition/timing/ecu etc?
    I must say it does run well & idle nicely when running. It actually feels responsive when it runs.

6. Tristan

The blue sensor is for the ECU. Do you have to crank it for long when it's hot?

7. fay970l New Member

Yes lots of cranking required before it will catch

8. Tristan

Try a quick squirt of easi-start or similar when it's next hot. If it starts, you'll know it's a fuel issue. If it doesn't, it's spark or other mechanical.

It shouldn't be valve clearances on a Digi... Them having hydraulic tappets.

9. fay970l New Member

Problem now seems to be resolved. Firstly we noticed the earth from the top of the gearbox was missing, so reinstated this. This did not resolve the problem but obviously needed doing. We then tried a spare ECU & the car now starts up instantly both from cold & when warm.

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

We really do appreciate when folk like you come back to report on their findings.
    Happy motoring.

11. Tristan

Very true, it's rare people close out a thread after a fix has been found.

12. fay970l New Member

Thanks. I know what you mean, when you read through a thread & don't see the outcome!!