Mk2 golf abf oil breather valve

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Rmarshall1, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Rmarshall1 Forum Member

Hi guys was driving my car today and all of a sudden it cut out when I stoped then started running like sh*t when I inspected it all the inside of my airflow pipe was soaked in oil and noticed that the pipe leading from the oil (breather valve 037 129 101 N) was leaking a lot of oil, basicly the oil breather valve is knackered and I can't find anywhere that sells a new one. Is there any alternitave things I can do?

Kind regards Ryan

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

can plumb it to a catch tank for now, vw heritage sell the breather pipe new if thats gone soft.

split the valve ansd see if theres anything you can do with it, if not leave the tank on till you can source a good used valve. or just dont bother with the valve and leave the tank on permanently :lol:

3. Rmarshall1 Forum Member

Will split that valve and see what I can do with it, and have ordered a catch can, thanks ????????

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

If you have to order a catch can for an ABF to cure high oil pullover rates, I would suggest you have broken a ring.
    Those engines do not generally need catch cans for normal road use.

5. jamesa Forum Junkie

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...103/subcategory/103080/part_id/3687726/lang/e

17 037129101G
    pressure-relief valve
    Model data: 2E
    (17) 028129101D
    pressure-relief valve
    Model data: 1Z
    (17) 037129101L
    Cancelled since 01.08.2009 pressure-relief valve
    M >> ABF 012 880
    Model data: ABF
    (17) 037129101N
    Cancelled since 01.03.2014 pressure-relief valve
    M ABF 012 881>>
    Model data: ABF

Would the unit from a 2E / 1Z work, possibly still available ?

6. rubjonny

the abf has a vacuum input to it, not sure exactly what it does. apart from that the petrol mk2/3 ones are similar shouldnt be too hard to adapt just block off the extra hole if you end up with a 2e version

7. Rmarshall1 Forum Member

I hope I don't have a broken ring, I have had the engine rebored and other modifications done to it, but the engine was a full rebuild and has only done about 9k miles, just a big pain because upon more reading I need that part for my engine to run properly

8. rubjonny

I split my spare one yesterday, this is what you get:
    [​IMG]

note the wee black disc, this is supposed to be clipped into the dimple on top of the lower breather hose hole. While I had the airbox off for a timing belt swap I noticed this wee disc sat in the outlet hole of my breather. The spare one also had this disc popped off and stuck to the inside of the breather doing nothing. I'm not exactly sure what its for, but its possible it may be there to help reduce the amount of oil blowing out? I certainly noted a bit of extra oil in my breather of late but it might be all the shorter journeys I'm doing now

9. Rmarshall1 Forum Member

Sorry about the late reply but that's perfect information thanks! I'm looking at just fitting a catch can in order to get round the valve