Removing door lock mechanism

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by gbk, Aug 11, 2017.

1. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

Anyone know the secret to getting the lock mechanism of a mk2 golf door? Haynes says to insert a screwdriver through the hole in the bottom to keep some lever extended, but no amount of prodding and poking has kept any lever anywhere! Spent an hour yesterday just trying to get the lock off. It's so gunged with dirt I'd really like to take it off and clean it properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

all this does is lock the interior door pull lever out so it makes it easier to re-attach the rod later, unbolt the block from the door and it will pull away slightly, then you'll see the lever I mean and if you look closely you'll spot where the screwdriver needs to go to lock the door pull lever in the 'open' position.

you dont even have to do it when removing, you can manually pull the lever out once you're done cleaning it to lock the lever out for when you bolt it to the door. also make sure the plastic lock rod thingy is fitted between the door skin and the block before you bolt it to the door. it has a skirt around the base which is held in place by the door skin so it wont fall off

3. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

Great, all sorted now. I was still having a problem so just decided to clean it up best I could and discovered there was another little hole I hadn't seen because it was covered in dirt! I was poking the screwdriver through a square hole in the middle, not the little round hole towards the side. It then all became apparent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk