Mk2 1.8 20V turbo choice

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Rmilne1990, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Rmilne1990 Forum Member

Hi all ???? I've managed to get my hands on a engine it's a AGU it doesn't have a turbo on it so next decision is what to go for I'm aiming for the 280BHP and after a good bit of torque. I'm a bit of a turbo newbie so any info on what's good for that power would be great also what are the benefits of hybrid turbos. Do most of you guys on here buy new turbos or manage to find a bargain off here? Thanks

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You should be aiming for best drive feel which equates to a certain magnitude of torque, within a range of rpm.
    This understanding leads to components that are applicable.

3. Rmilne1990 Forum Member

Thanks toyotec from what I understand the choices are K04 K03 and K03s

4. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

What's your budget?

Ko3s and possibly hybrid ko3s is possibly the cheapest route or you could find a tfsi turbo from later golf which is becoming popular and will produce the power

5. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

K04-064 which comes complete with integrated exhaust manifold

6. Rmilne1990 Forum Member

Notenoughtime got a budget of around 800 for a turbo what are are the benefits of either of the above turbos??

7. Notso Swift Forum Member

If you have nothing at the moment there is no reason to stay KKK
    I would go for a decent manifold and dump as the priority, as long as the exhaust flows better than the inlet you will have good spool and power

For your power even a T25 is OK for 280, but ballbearing T28 are the sort of turbos that drifters scoff at because they are "too small" yet are are boosting 1 bar at 2700 and capable off 360hp for $250 second hand in good condition..
    Turbo with a smaller AR is fine, 0.64 are cheap as chips and you can get reasonable ebay manifolds for $200 from China which leaves a lot to do some piping and maybe even an intercooler

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Notso Swift. In your territory, it is easier to find and purchase a used BB GT28 turbo from say a JDM S15 Sliva and then have someone fabricate a 20vT manifold for what might be less than 800 pounds sterling.
    We do not have that luxury here.

Unless it is the cast 'Chinafold' you refer too, the rest just crack.
    The cast Chinafold which I once had on my own 20VT, is very reliable but does need sorting and reworking of the internal collector to flow correctly. That would also add to the bill if outsourcing.
    You can use the TFSI turbo from an 8P S3 or 1K ED30, but you will need to fabricate an adaptor, a new downpipe on the opposite end and your charge piping will need to be changed.
    I am not sure if this "280bhp" goal equates to just achieving that number and actual fast accelerating car from what the car feels like now.
    Usually with AGU engines, the least hassle is to fit a hybrid turbo based on a 'K03s' and take it from there with supporting mods. The 800 quid limit will have to increase though.
    Driver perception of what is fast car to him still needs to be known to help guide our suggestions though.

9. davkav

davkav Paid Member Paid Member

If it were me, Id try and source a second hand K03 for the AGU. Get the car up and running (FMIC fitted, wiring, vac etc) and see how you like it.

Then maybe get it mapped to ~200bhp. You might be pleasantly surprised at how quick the car will be at that power and not have to look at a bigger turbo at all.

10. Pcunliffe1511 Forum Member

Which ever way you go, don't forget it's going to cost at least 500 to 600 for a remap. To that end if your budget is 800 your remaining 200/300 might just net you a Reconditioned KO3S. Or at the minute on fleabay there's a guy selling all the necessary parts for a ko4 conversion for 400.

11. Rmilne1990 Forum Member

Sorry guys just to clear things up the budget off 800 was just for the turbo alone I wasn't saying 800 to do the conversion :clap:
    Lot of good points there and thanks for the advice, I am not really wanting to go down the route of having manifolds chopped and changed I just want to go down the tried and tested road. There's a lot of threads on what turbo to choose and I do like the sound of the K03s route especially if it is the easiest route to go down, the 280BHP was just a figure I haven't actually been in a mk2 with a 1.820v in it so don't really have nothing to compare it too.

12. Notso Swift Forum Member

Fair call but as you also say the cheap cast manifolds are also a legitimate option and even a T3 flange with an adapter

To the OP, if you don't want the hassle then by all means an OEM K03s and manifold or K04 , which ever comes up first. I just wouldn't waste your time on a K03, they will hit a functional limit and you may end up doing it all again