Mk3 1.8t conversion

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Golf RYI, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Golf RYI New Member

I have a 2004 1.8t Passat longitude engine type and wanting to do a mk3 swap and can't seem to finding any threads , this engine any good for the swap , thinking 8v (cheaper)

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hello and welcome :)

the passat 20v lumps will go, but you'll need to find a load of bits from a transverse 20v lump to convert it. after all the effort/expense usually ends up just as much as sourcing the correct mk4 type lump which is why you dont often see it done. once you've converted it to transverse then its same as any 20v -> mk3 swap :)

a mk3 16v or tdi would be a slightly easier start point as you'll have all the brackets to get the 20v bolted in, plus it'll have a cable shift + hydro clutch setup on it already. vr6 woudl work though you would need to source a 4 cylinder front and rear bracket for the 20v.

with a gti 8v you'll need all 3 brackets, bolt on the hydro master & pipework plus the cable shifter to convert it, apart from that same deal as if you were starting from a 16v above really. if you get one cheap enough it would be worth it for sure :)

3. Golf RYI New Member

Sound pal I've been searching for abit and seems like it's turbo n fittings n intake needed off the transverse , like u said seems abit stressful doing it, got a mk1 and the longitude engine fits straight in but changed my mind, so I've been thinking what other golf I can put it in , any ideas?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

aye that stuff, probably the sump as well etc. all the golfs are transverse so you'll need all the same bits regardless, the passat blocks are handy if you have a 20v car already thats blown its engine. or for you if you find a car breaking due to a blown lump you can prob get everything you need in one place for a decent figure.

5. odub Forum Member

I've put an AEB Passat motor in my 16v Corrado using John's guide to do it. Drop me a line if you want any more info that I could help with