Mk2 CE2 VR6 Conversion

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by ranga, Sep 16, 2017.

1. ranga New Member

Hi all, I'm just about to start converting my 90 spec (CE2) MK2 into a VR6. Brapp! I've been looking for the answers to one or two questions about the conversion but I can't seem to find definitive answers to them and was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice?

The donor car is a Passat B3

I've sourced a Corrado VR6 subframe to mount the engine.

Questions -

Do I have to modify the Mk2 wishbones to fit the Corrado VR6 Subframe? (I'm keeping narrow track as I've got wide four stud dishes on which I absolutely love and they already rub to hell)

Can I use MK2 Anti roll bars on a VR6 subframe? (uprated to Eibach obviously)

I know I can use the Passat front crossmember mount but can I use the Passat radiator mount? Or does it need modifying to fit?

Thank you in advance for the help:)

Kind Regards

Ranga

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. nope straight fit
    2. yarp straight fit
    3. probably, you may find you have to chop off some metal work as they usually have the front tow eye built in and it gets in the way. see how the passat rad fits on the mk2 rad carrier it may go right on, but its possible the carrier differs in some way

3. ranga New Member

Thanks for that John, I'm glad you replied chief, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable on this subject from what I've seen on various forums!

Is it alright if if I bang you some more questions if I get stuck mate?

Cheers man.

Keith

4. rubjonny

sure thing post up any questions you have on the forum and someone will answer them :)

5. ranga New Member

Brakes and stuff

Hi John, I've got a couple of questions for you if you've the time?

I've been reading through the forums and I think I've found the answers, I just wanted to run them past you before I went ahead if that's alright?

Point to consider: I've got a pair of Mk2 16v Hubs to use in the conversion but can change if necessary.

Am I right in the following?

I can use the VR6 carriers and Calipers from this Passat with these 16v hubs? The Passat brakes are 288mm. I've been told these brakes will fit under BBS RM 15's but only just, and with a 15mm spacer? Is this true John?

If I can't find four stud 288mm discs (Passat is five stud), can I use 280mm discs with the Passat carriers and calipers?

As I'm using narrow track, with Mk2 wishbones and Mk2 control arms - I'm right to buy a Mk2 Power Steering Rack? Or will this Passat one do the job?

As I'm using 16v Hubs, and I don't want to lower the car, I'll have to use Bilstein Mk2 16v suspension struts with stock Corrado VR6 springs? Or should I use Bilstein Corrado VR6 struts and Springs?

I've sen dotted about that my current 8v driveshafts will be fine, again dude, is that one true?

Thanks in advance chief, hope you're well. :)

Keith

6. ranga New Member

Hi John, I've got a couple of questions for you if you've the time?

I've been reading through the forums and I think I've found the answers, I just wanted to run them past you before I went ahead if that's alright?

Point to consider: I've got a pair of Mk2 16v Hubs to use in the conversion but can change if necessary.

Am I right in the following?

I can use the VR6 carriers and Calipers from this Passat with these 16v hubs? The Passat brakes are 288mm. I've been told these brakes will fit under BBS RM 15's but only just, and with a 15mm spacer? Is this true John?

If I can't find four stud 288mm discs (Passat is five stud), can I use 280mm discs with the Passat carriers and calipers?

As I'm using narrow track, with Mk2 wishbones and Mk2 control arms - I'm right to buy a Mk2 Power Steering Rack? Or will this Passat one do the job?

As I'm using 16v Hubs, and I don't want to lower the car, I'll have to use Bilstein Mk2 16v suspension struts with stock Corrado VR6 springs? Or should I use Bilstein Corrado VR6 struts and Springs?

I've sen dotted about that my current 8v driveshafts will be fine, again dude, is that one true?

Thanks in advance chief, hope you're well..

Keith

7. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

I had 280mm discs on mine and my ats cups which were 15" would NOT work.
    My current setup is 280mm and require 16" rims.

Mk2 rack will work so long as the tie rods and rod ends are mk2 length. Unsure about Passat fitment with ps rack.

8v gti driveshafts are what I used and they worked just fine.

And as far as I'm aware the 16v hubs are same as mk3 and vr6 etc so all good.

See what the pros think... Rich.

8. rubjonny

1. pre-96 mk3 gti, 16v and vr6 use the same 280mm calipers and carriers as the mk2 G60 so swap right over. BBS RAs can be a struggle to fit, but you can make it work. There are 2 offsets available plus sometimes you need a spacer. You can try mk2 16v pads instead of G60 ones, they're a little thinner and give some more room to play

2. mk2, mk3, passat, various seat, corrado etc racks all fit, you just change the ends for mk2 pas ones. you may need a mk2 or mk3 pas uj, depending on the age of the donor. Ideally get a 16v or corrado rack they're the nicest feel. GTI spec ones on the mk2 are the same as non-GTI, on the mk3 the gti, 16v and vr6 are the same

3. mk2 16v springs may do you but you may find with all the extra weight the corrado vr6 stuff is better suited. the OEM corrado vr6 shocks are specific, but the aftermarket stuff might be OK? I'd probably go for corrado VR6 all round, since thats basically what you have :)

4. yep mk2 8v GTI shafts will fit fine

9. Dox! Forum Member

Its been discussed before and Fiat Coupe non turbo 284mm disks 4 x 100 PCD are supposed to fit with VAG 288mm callipers with the centre bore of the disk machined to fit the VW hub or re-drill 288mm MK3 (not MK4 as the disk has different off-set) to 4 X 100 (one hole already lines up so you can bolt on your chosen wheel with a single wheel bolt to check clearance - if using worn disks and pads you need to allow for the wear - new disks and pads move the calliper closer towards the wheel)

10. ranga New Member

Sorry for the late reply chaps, I've somehow contrived to have a baby since I was last in here ???? Kinda holds things up a little ????

Thanks for all this info like guys, it's really appreciated.

If I go for those 284mm discs, is pad overhang not an issue?

Cheers lads, again, sorry for the late reply!

Keith

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

^^Pad will over hang yes.

12. ranga New Member

Aye man, I get that it overhangs, but is it an issue?

13. ranga New Member

Hey John, hows it going man? Where did you put your ECU? On my harness, the wiper motor is in the bloody way. Is it possible to extend the harness? Or can the wiper mechs be changed?

Cheers dude

Keith

14. DN5

Mines in the glove box lol
    On the last vr6 I did I don't remember having and difficulties.

15. rubjonny

when I make the mk3 looms I tweak the routing so the ECU sits in the factory mk2 spot on the driver side, but if your donor is a B3 there might not be so much slack. There is a bit of room under the wiper mech though, I setup mk4 looms so the ecu sits in the middle of the scuttle under the wiper motor same as a mk4 golf, with the advise the customer gets a mk4 ecu bracket and modifies it to secure under the wiper mech retaining bolts. or you can use double sided tape, velcro etc lol

16. ranga New Member

You guys are utter legends.

Cheers like.

KeihK

17. DN5

Congrats on the child lol

18. ranga New Member

Hahaha cheers like chief. Little bugger is teething so keeping me up

Do any of you guy know definitively what the difference is in brake servos non ABS/ABS? I have the original MK2 9 inch servo which is non ABS and this Passat 9 inch one which is ABS. I won't be putting the ABS back into the car so am I right in thinking that I cannot use the Passat Servo? I can't see any difference in the servos besides a sensor on the Passat. Be a shame if I can't use it as it's in much better nick.

Cheers lads.

19. rubjonny

it depends on age/donor if its different or not, on some they have an extra distance sensor fitted these will swap over and work fine just leave the sensor in and unplugged. some have the moun tign bolts for the master cylinder diagonally opposite each other rather than horizontal, these still work on a mk2 as well but you need the matching master cylinder

20. ranga New Member

Passat is L Reg, 1994 B3. MK2 is 1990. I've tried the master cylinders and they swap over no bother. And the fitment for the pedal is the correct one (it's not a MK3 ball thingy).

In short John, this thing looks like a duck, quacks like a duck. Besides the sensor, which as you as you say - don't connect up, should I just try this thing in John? Don't see any reason why it won't work like.

Hope ya well chief.