Vagcom reader for ABS

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Cosmic slop, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Cosmic slop Forum Member

Hi again guys,

I've nearly come to the end of my tether with mk3 ownership. I took the car off the road a couple of months ago. Changed the cambelt, gave it a good service, cut out and replaced all the rust around the front jacking points and sill and put new front wings on and sprayed them. I looks awesome. Just finished it all today and really looked forward to taking it out, but got a mile down the road and the ABS light came on and now won't go out :cry:
    I'm going to have to get a Vagcom cable or reader to see where the fault lies as there is nothing blatantly obvious visually.
    Anything involving a computer scares me slightly. What should I go for? (Cheap and cheerful). Most of the cables on fleabay say for Windows XP and earlier. I don't have a laptop that old!
    Any info on this subject that I know f all about would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. Cosmic slop Forum Member

Perhaps should have mentioned it's a mk3 2.0 8v ADY 1995 with 16 pin connector next to the ashtray

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the cheap usb cables will work fine on windows vista, 7, 8 and 10 still, my cheep n cheerful one still going strong on my windows 10 peecee, though it is 32 bit rather than 64 bit. I'll have a double check on my wifes 64bit laptop, but iirc all it means is you have to use the vcds lite software rather than the older vagcom software.

may be worth asking to see if there is anyone local who can pop over and scan it for you?

one quick n easy check is measure the resistance on all 4 abs sensors with a multimeter, if one is way off the others then its probably bust! plus a good visual check of the wiring, abs rings etc make sure theres nothing obvious wrong

Cosmic slop likes this.
  4. Cosmic slop Forum Member

Thanks John for the advice.
    Just scanned it today (after a shed load of hassle with downloading the drivers!) but proud Ive done it and looks like itll be pretty useful. Only code coming up is 00285 ABS front right sensor (G45) 35-00
    Ive checked over wiring etc and nothing noticeable so I guess Ill change the sensor and see what happens. Oddly though, the light went out once Id scanned it. Ill keep an eye on it.

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

When you interrogate the ABS, the light will go out.

6. Cosmic slop Forum Member

Hi again,
    Thanks for your replies. Right, one more question for you. The bolt that holds the sensor in is well and truely corroded and isnt going anywhere so it looks like Im going to have to destroy the old sensor in order to get it out. Does anyone know the bolt size or part number so I can make sure Ive got one before I go any further. Ive tried looking on OEMEPC.com but keep getting a penis enlarging advert coming up so dont like to stay on there too long [:s]

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

front right sensor is 1J0927804, MK4 golf part now so dead easy to find. bolt is N 0147346, which is an M6x22

Cosmic slop likes this.
  8. mrglee Forum Member

If you have one use a trim removal tool the type that looks like a screwdriver with a bent split end made for the job also may need to reduce the dia of new sensor a little or will get trashed fitting.oh good luck with the penis enlargement.

Cosmic slop likes this.
  9. Cosmic slop Forum Member

Thanks guys for your help. Ill have another go this week and let you know the result (regarding the sensor change, not the penis enlargement).