Honda aluminium radiator in a golf mk1 with dcoe 45 webers...done

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by jamez, Oct 8, 2017.

1. jamez Forum Member

A project i just completed on my golf mk1 with dcoe weber 45 carbs.I looked at getting a custom made aluminum rad made but the price was rather extreme so i got this aluminum civic rad from ebay and made a few bits to make it fit. It is a fair bit of work but now its finished it works extremely well. The oil temperature before after a trash was 105 degrees and normally around 92, now it sits at 72 and even with a good trash rarely goes above 85 as the oil cooler sits fully in the cold air stream. The coolant temperature before would get to 3/4 on the gauge and with the fan running it would take 10 minutes for the temperatures to get back to normal, about 1/2 on the gauge. Now the gauge reads 1/3 and when the fan needs to run its short..30 seconds and its off again. The biggest difference i see is the carbs temperature its self. I could see with a spot meter the carburetor bodies would hit 50 degrees in traffic as they sat over the rad and now there cold to the touch. The engine runs overall much better and the lambda reading is much more stable due to the vastly improved cold air feed into the carbs.

I thought it would run better if i kept the expansion bottle so i cut out the pressure relief valve in the radiator cap and used the overflow connection as the return feed to the expansion bottle. The lower 32mm connection had to be relocated to the other side also as it fowled the starter motor.The battery is turned 90 degrees with a new battery tray and the relays for the lights and the fan are also moved.The front engine mount is not moved but the back plate is cut slightly to allow the radiator mounting bracket to fit.

Attached Files:

1.8T_mk2, ces, mr.brown and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Can't see the pic. But I'd love to! Sounds brilliant.
    If anything now I'd say your temps, especially oil are too low? Oil should be kept 90-100 AFAIK.