LHD MK2 16V with Factory Digifiz has lost its Odometer Memory.

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by ranton-inc, Oct 10, 2017.

1. ranton-inc New Member

Hey guys,

Have not posted for many years, (quite a few years of trouble free motoring...)

I have been Daily driving my 16V MK2 (Re Fitted with MK3 ABF Engine and Injection. for the last few weeks.

Any who since rebuilding the car 5 years ago things have been smooth Sailing, I have only traveled around 12500km in this time.

This morning When I had left home my Odometer was around 12,600km.

During the day I was running some errands when I looked down and Noticed my Odometer had reset to 0, I have had this occur before hand however after cycling the key the Mileage came back.

When I had rebuilt the car some time ago, I bought a NOS Digifiz Gauge from Ebay.nl because the Digifiz in the Car had some pretty awful scratches and issues occurring. (This is why the Mileage started from 0 again 5 years ago....)

Any way has any one had this occur before, have I ended up with a dead eeprom or something on that Circuit board? every time I try to Phrase and Google this situation, I just find posts about Digifiz clusters hitting their max mileage threshold blah blah.

Thank you in advance!

2. ranton-inc New Member

Never mind looks like I found my Answer hidding in the How to reprogram the Digifiz Mileage Thread.

I love this forum, it truly is a fountain of information..

Probable dead NMC9307EN now to try find one...

3. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Glad the thread was helpful :)

Those EEPROMs do indeed fail; I had to replace one the other week.

I can't currently advise on a source of new ones, but I've heard of people getting hold of them.

4. ranton-inc New Member

5. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Ah, that's the one :)

6. ranton-inc New Member

Brilliant.

I will PM you trev16v

I cant seem to find a suitable EEPROM flasher that will do the job to correct the mileage.

In a funny turn of events the cluster has started recording the KMs again but has started from 0 again...

Frustrating :-(

7. ranton-inc New Member

Well the plot thicken'd slightly.

What I was sold as a NOS unit turns out it had been ****ed with before hand..

Good news, the dip-8 Socket is already there
    [​IMG]

Bad news unsure if certain contacts underneath the socket are supposed to be linked or if the solder has just flowed over and connected.... :(

[​IMG]

Also the resistor repair has been done but not in a manner i expected but oh well..

and also there have been two pins relating to the plug sockets that have been bridged and i am not all that sure as to why?

[​IMG]

Now to find a serial programmer.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you can find out what pin number/wire colour on the digifiz clocks those work out to we can help you figure out what the join may be there for :)

9. ranton-inc New Member

Yeah. Was getting to that today but after repairing about 20 dry lookong joints around the board i found myself late for a meeting haha

10. ranton-inc New Member

Well by the Looks of it

the random blue wire bridges the pins

WL4 to SK5 on the other Connector (two brown wires) earths. unsure why but it was working before so will leave it as is.

Hoping that the Dry Solder Repairs will bring a end to my Flickering issues and erratic fuel gauge on hot days.

yv88cnA.jpg

So the next question is there supposed to be continuity between these three points..

In other news the Bartronix Programmer I borrowed to try and plug in new Milage, did not work at all.

Only shows compatibility for a NMC93C06 EN Chip but will refuse to read the NMC9307 EN Chip sighting pin six isnt connected and then processds to **** out a Read that is populated with Zeros on all bytes.

11. rubjonny

WL4 is the main earth and WK5 is the 'reference' sensor earth, which would have gone to the side of the head originally.

on a ce1 the reference pin would go to a spade behind the fusebox, then wire from engine loom to it. ce2 it goes to the fusebox then theres an earth on G1/5 to the head. your jumper will work just fine though, my guess is the cluster at one point was fitted to a non-gti which doesnt have the extra earth from g1/5 to the head. rather than earthign g1/5 they decided to solder a wire inside the clocks...

as to your other question Trev is the man to answer it, I've never had one of these sent to me as of yet, just wiring looms to debodgerise :lol:

12. ranton-inc New Member

Yeah gotta love un-****ing other peoples handy work lol

13. rubjonny

Yep, always fun :lol: