Installing engine and gearbox - the easy way!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by redwolf01, Oct 12, 2017.

1. redwolf01 New Member

Hi Guys, looking for some guidance.

I have been drafted in to help a friend of mine who has just had his MK1 Golf GTI fully stripped, panels replaced/repaired and full respray. When I say just, he started the project 7 years go but only just got the car ready to put everything back together, which has been a challenge as I am not that familiar with the Mk1 and its like putting a jigsaw together without the picture.

I have fitted the new fuel tank, had some issues 'discovering' where the fuel pump should be bolted too, and a similar challenge with the accumulator, but think I am sorted. We have run in some new (Crazy Quiff) fuel lines, installed the brake transfer mechanism, servo and master cylinder and looking at running in the bake pipes.

Its at this point I am looking down at an immaculate engine bay and wondering what is the best option for installing the engine and gearbox?

In from the top, or lift the car and bring it from underneath ?

I have done this many times on the MK2 but removed the front end so not having to lift over the slam panel. Concerned also about marking the engine bay (too much) dropping in from the top.

I will have access to large jacks and portable hoist so I think both options are viable.

Looking for some sound recommendations of ease and best options.

From the top, or up from the bottom ?
    As one lump (engine and box) or can you do engine then lift box on after, any advantage in doing that?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice, I am sure I will get mixed preferences.

Cheers Kevin

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

If you can lift the car and get the engine in that way it's easiest.

3. Notso Swift Forum Member

Best from the bottom, just like the factory - but I will put the caveat in that is with access to a hoist, I have taken a motor+box out going down with jacks but not in.
    Going from the top isn't hard, but I think there is more risk of damage

4. redwolf01 New Member

Thanks guys. From the bottom up it is then!

5. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

Fitting a mk1 engine and gearbox is much like making love to a beautiful woman...

6. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Fast show?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk