LCR/Focus master which ports

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Nightroamer, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Nightroamer Forum Member

Hi All,

Just a quick question i hope!

I have an LCR/Focus stubby master installed, i am running a new line to the rear brakes via a bias valve.

As the Master is a four port should i use one front port and one rear port and block off the other two?

If so does it matter which port (front or rear) the rear brakes (and bias) are plumbed into?

I am not familure with the internal layout of the master cylinder.

thanks

Tom

2. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Pretty sure it doesn't matter. If I can remember on mine, they might have been different thread sizes on either side. So use the ones you need and block the rest.

3. Nightroamer Forum Member

I did see today someone has blocked nearest the chassis leg side with m12 plugs so maybe as I thought the vw size was m10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the OEM way to do it is have opposite corners on each brake circuit, that way if one circuit fails you still have working brakes on opposite corners of the car. the front 2 hole are one circuit, and the rear 2 are the other circuit. you can use either side though.

If you're only having 1 line to the rear it defeats this failsafe slightly, in this case you would either have 1 front working by itself or 3 together. Plenty guys run just the 1 line to the rear though, its not exactly a common failure point plus as long as you are aware of the potential of only having 1 working front brake after you see the fluid level warning flash up on the dash you'll be prepared for this ;)

5. Nightroamer Forum Member

Hi RJ thanks for that!

I have a set of front lines from another Gti which are from a 2 port setup so only one feed for the front of the car which splits off, trying to decide wether to use this or just run 2 new lines for the front, one from each front port on the master and then as you say one to the rear via the bias (not decided yet if i want this internally by the driver or in the bay).

I had heard a rumor that some master cylinders you should fit the rear line either specifically on a front port or specifacaly on a rear port (depending on internal design) if using a bias as it causes some kind of hydraulic lock, ever heard this yourself?

Thanks

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I've seen it said yes, I'm not sure how true it is though. Probably best to ask this on a ford forum perhaps, there might be a clued up bloke on there who knowes more about the variants of the focus master cylinder. It might be to do with if its from a car with ABS or no how the internals are plumbed.

Some versions of the G60 with ABS system only has 1 line for both rear brakes for example

7. Nightroamer Forum Member

Cool thanks buddy, hope to get on this at the weekend :thumbup: