give me ideas to make my Golf mk4 1.9 sdi (68bhb)faster (current idea: engine swap)

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by ByteMe, Oct 26, 2017.

?

what to do

Poll closed Nov 5, 2017.
  1. keep sdi engine put turbo,inter cooler,transmission,etc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. complete tdi engine swap

50.0%
  3. keep sdi the same but mod to get it to 90 bhb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. give UP and stay slow for life :((((((((

50.0%
  1. ByteMe New Member

Guys i really need help on this as this is my 1st car 1 year of owning it and i love it i just really want my mk4 to be a bit faster. I ve done my research and most people just say to trade it in for a tdi but i really dont want to do it, all i want is to make it a bit faster, mybe 68 bhb to 90 bhb i would be content was looking at remaps but as i have no turbo there will be no significant gains, exhaust upgrade as well wouldnt be a huge gain so i turned to look at engine swap or maybe keep the engine block and fit a turbo change inter cooler and transmission tbh imo this would be the best option but I really dont want to break the engine (as the current engine only has 60k km on it is basically new never broke down on me reliable af would love to keep it that way) please give me some ideas to make my golf mk4 sdi a bit faster

2. ByteMe New Member

3. Break Forum Member

buy a different car!

(unless you are very mechanically minded and want to pay extra for insurance on a modified car!)

4. ByteMe New Member

i dont mind paying extra on insurance i just want my sdi to be a little bit faster at accelerating as im sure you know sdi`s are horribly slow at accelerating and i dont want to swap my car it s basically brand knew bought it from an old woman who garaged it and took care of it alot this sdi again only has 60k km on it and it s very rare to find such a good conditioned mk 4 in my country

5. Break Forum Member

K&N Filter and coilovers then

strip out the rear seats (and passenger seat if you are really commited)

6. ByteMe New Member

was thinking of doing the k & n filters but don`t really know if it will have effect on my car + when i researched none were compatible with the sdi they were all compatible with the 90+ bhp tdi sorry for any ignorance i am not that well informed and am still learning on this only reseon i bought the sdi because looked at 10 tdi`s and all were in **** condition (engine / been in crashes, etc) and my mechanic highly recommended i get it didn't know the speed would bother me this much and coil overs on the way [:D]

7. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

There's really bugger all you can do with the non turbo that makes any real difference.

8. ByteMe New Member

yh ik :/ was wondering if i destroyed the engine if i installed a turbo and inter cooler and new transmission to the sdi

9. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

You'd probably change the car a lot cheaper to a pd130 equipped model. Even a pd 115/110.

10. ByteMe New Member

again sorry for the ignorance but pd 130 is another terminology for the tdi 130 bhp model ?

11. ByteMe New Member

and even if thats the case i dont want to change this car as first of all it is almost impossible to find a decent mk4 without spending alot of money(in my country a decent mk4 will go for 4,500 euro a good mk4 will go for 5,100) and 2nd i want to keep this car and really dont want to change it all i want is a little bit more punch if i cant get it to go faster fk it ill stay as i am....

12. ByteMe New Member

im slowly giving up because everywhere i search about modifying sdi s all say replace with a tdi which probably is the better choice but i need a reliable car and buying /trading a car you will never know what you get, and at the moment this sdi has never once given me a problem + ive spent alot of money into keeping it in a good condition and stuff like new rims + tires 6 months routine service, new a/c , etc.. so it surely would t be worth swapping with a tdi because i would b probably have to fix the new cars problems, i really dont need a huge increase in power, anything that wont break my car is fine, a lot of you won`t understand me because you have tdi s :p but it s frustrating when a 1.0 petrol car like a vits can launch faster then you + every penny iv saved went to buying and and maintaining the car (student - works part time) it just wouldn't be worth risking getting a new car imo

13. rainbird New Member

Don't build what you can buy. It'll likely be cheaper and easier to just pick up a tdi. You mention that your current car is a known entity, but once you start hacking on a turbo kit etc that ceases to be the case. The money you save will either go towards fixing any minor issues on a tdi, or just buying a better one in the first place. You can always swap your wheels/tyres across to the new one, and service costs are irrelevant since they're both small and recurring anyway.

14. shane d Forum Member

Is the sdi engine a 1y engine?.
    Isn't it possible to turbo this engine as it has the oil sprayer under the pistons?

Yes but easier and cheaper to buy a donor and swap parts over

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2018
  15. ByteMe New Member

What do you mean by 1y engine?
    Sorry for the late reply as i had previously given up ...but alas i have faith again haha

16. ByteMe New Member

[​IMG]

17. Lunietoon New Member

If you still own this said sdi golf i have the trick for you !! You only want a bit more pull ? Would black dmoke out of the exhast bother you or are you like me and you dont mind leaving your sooty trail behind for gretta to trace you down and murder you in your sleep ? If so you need to change the adjustments on your fuel pump/idle controle or whatever you want to call it its called screwing the pump proper old school but gretta wouldnt like it, ill try leave a link of a video that explains how to do it but as i said you will be leaving a big enough trail of black smoke behind but with diesles unless you run a lean mix when mapped/tweeked your gunna end up with the moody cloud following you

18. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

You can buy an extra Golf 4... either with some accident, damage or pretty high mileage...
    These cars can be found pretty cheap > say 250 - 1000 Euro... and some are well looked after and pretty clean

Aslong engine /gearbox and all the needed stuff is there ( intercooler, wiring, ecu, airfilterbox, etc,,,) and its in good working condition
    ( Always see/hear it running / testdrive )

I have stripped a few TDI 110 engines with 180- 200.000km and they looked really like new inside .... ofcourse they need a bit TLC ... a new timingbelt, spanrol,
    oil and filters, and a proper look into turbo condition..... and it could be fine for another 100.000 or more

But its not what i would advice as a first time spanner project..