Road Legal track day tyres 215/40 R17 (Polos 6c)

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by M.A.T.S-74, Nov 7, 2017.

1. M.A.T.S-74 Forum Member

After 2 Jetta's (MK5 Sport 140ps TDI/MK6 GT 150ps TDI) due to family needs I have returned to the fold of semi hot hatch & Petrol by buying a late 2014 (2015 year model) Polo BlueGT 150ps 1.4TSI ACT.
    Have done track days at the VW & Audi Automatrix days since 2005 in whatever VW I owned at time, everything from MK2 Scirocco GTX/Scala Injection's/W-reg Polo GTI & the Jetta's.
    Have sourced some more 18" rims off a scrapped MK4 Golf GTI for my Polo (17" correct Polo fitment Monza's) will be a bit before I can afford to all this but certainly want have the wheels ready for next year's castle Combe days or other possible club GTI track events rather than hammer my standard fit BlueGT alloys.
    This subject probably done to death? With the MK2 Scirocco's use to have one set of road wheels & one set with just road legal track day tyres Yokohama (forgot the name AR08r's I think) thinking on A048R's namely something better than road tyre standard in dry but not something that will not try to kill me or the Polo at first sign of rain or greasy track.
    Also finding my 215/40 R17 size my Polo meant to have hard to find in performance track tyre terms. Do like the look of Dunlop Sport Maxx RT's but that is more a road tyre.....but then I used Continental Sportcontact 3 & 5 on the Jetta's for years road or track with no problems - however the Polo blueGT 150ps 1.4TSI is a lively thing (the old 2.0TDI's in my Jetta's, were but in a different way.) & light vehicle car more in akin to my old MK2 Scirocco's.
    If can not source 215/40 R17 s manufacturers spec size tyre would 215/45 R17 work ok? Have to leave Polo BlueGT standard ride height or would not be able to get parked on my drive. Currently 215/40 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tyres fitted on the Polo and suspect still the factory tyres as car only 17.000 miles, the Dunlop's feel good.
    215/30 R18 for the 18's as that is what the Polo GTI us but what speed/load rating?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  2. jamesa Forum Junkie

3. M.A.T.S-74 Forum Member

The extra wheels arrived from breakers to today error on my part they are correct 5x100 Polo fitment for my 6c but are 18" not 17", will still be what I need for messing on track/show wheels hope not limited my tyres options now! 215/35 R18 would be the size while 215/40 still being my regular Polo's tyres size.
    Well to be honest not sure what the 18" wheels need to have tyre wise so not to throw out speedo/etc - my car has tyre pressure sensors too so suspect need pick carefully not cause that going wobbly all the time & light coming up.

4. jamesa Forum Junkie

5. M.A.T.S-74 Forum Member

Little rusty on the old offset knowledge.. believe my BlueGT offset is 41 noted 18" Polo GTI has 46 listed (rusty on what difference that will all make?). Polo GTI tyre fitment is 215/35 for 18's. Will 225 really go in my little Polo's before causing issue? The 18" came off a MK4 Golf GTI have no idea that offset was.

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

It would help if you listed the full sizing of what you have ...

The greater the offset number the further into the wheelarch the wheel fits.

7. M.A.T.S-74 Forum Member

Ok I have
    One set of factory fit Polo BlueGT wheels
    * 17x7" with the correct 215/40 87W fitment with believe is 41 offset (Polo GTI is 46 offset with a 18").

* One set of Monza 18x8" currently no tyres that bears any context to what i'm planning just some trashed Golf size 225/40 budget rubber. Has ET 35 45 stamped on it by the 18x8j stamp.

This may help

8. jamesa Forum Junkie

Has ET 35 45 ... ?

Suggest that you trial fit the Monza wheel.

9. M.A.T.S-74 Forum Member

Yes were the mould stamp has 18x8J below that has stamped ET 35 45 as I described on the alloy inside one spoke.
    As so -
    18x8J
    ET 35 45

Yes trail fit next stage but the old 225/40 rubber on rims won't give me the right comparison.
    Will trial fit for bolt/fitting/etc....
    They cost 150 + 20 delivery for 4 wheels (but know tyres toast) need a repaint but obviously don't want go through all that before making will sure fit will be ok before getting tyres/etc for the 18's, if too much cost involved with making them fit OK/etc will just sell on again.
    My ideal second set of Polo wheels would genuine Polo GTI 17's or another BlueGT set of wheels, any Polo 17 rims would find for there intended use as track wheels - 18's just maybe too much hassle for nothing gained.

10. M.A.T.S-74 Forum Member

If Monza's do fit.
    Lots of Toyo T1-R going in 215/35 18 & Nankang ultra sport NS-2' too.......are these best avoided death trap tyres that melt at hard track work?

Yokohama still the track brand I like but oh my word the price.

11. jamesa Forum Junkie

Not a fan of those Toyo`s, no experience of the other.

Maybe try some part worn tyres from http://www.steveharknesscomptyres.co.uk but given that it`s `only` the occasional track outing premium road tyres might be OK ?

Can you swop wheels at the track, would help with choice ?

Consider the AD08R and fit on your existing wheels ?

12. M.A.T.S-74 Forum Member

Trial fitment done (obviously current incorrect Golf size 225/45 fitted) tyres on that will be binned so a little closer looking than will be. Going to fit 215/35 of some kind fast road/track type rubber. These are 8" width can't see it will catch on anything & like the "Poke" or would people advise a spacer? Just want ease of bolting the different wheels without spacers hassle as would possibly can just bolt on 18's the day before for track events or show days as they will be refurbished some time.
    Fitment seems perfect, obviously 45 profile lifts the car once 35 profile tyres on car will sit correct.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. jamesa Forum Junkie

14. M.A.T.S-74 Forum Member