Converting a 9A to 20v Turbo

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by zx10rdazza, Nov 12, 2017.

1. zx10rdazza Forum Member

The exhaust flange turned up in the post today so I could get on with making the decat pipe.

corrado109.jpg

All done, I made an extended 02 boss, sorry I didn't get pics of making that.

corrado110.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  2. zx10rdazza Forum Member

I have stripped every thing off the rear beam ready to clean it up and repaint
    The brakes look like they've had it and the back plates are pretty much non existant.

corrado115.jpg

corrado117.jpg

corrado118.jpg

corrado116.jpg

I went on a little shopping trip to Toolstation and bought these

corrado113.jpg

They should rip through the rust in no time, probably the most lethal tool ever inveted by man lol

All of the loose flakey rust removed from the beam and ready to paint

corrado119.jpg

3. zx10rdazza Forum Member

Rear beam has had 2 coats of red oxide primer and now ready for some gloss black enamel.

corrado120.jpg

I decided to strip the calipers and see how bad they actually were, to my suprise they weren't seized so I tackled them with my wire wheel on the grinder to remove the worst of the rust and gave them a lick of silver paint before reassembling them.

corrado121.jpg

corrado122.jpg

corrado123.jpg

That's all for this week due to being on 12hr days all week. I have bought a roll of copper brake pipe, so I will be remaking all of the brake lines next weekend then I'll move on to making up the intercooler pipe work. This is all going to be done in 2.5" stainless with as little silicone hose conections as possible.

4. KENT! Paid Member Paid Member

Awesome work dude. This might be a silly question but is there more room up front on the rado as the front panel is different? That intercooler is a chunky beast.

5. zx10rdazza Forum Member

Yeah must be mate, I did trim the vertical support on the slam panel. ;)

6. zx10rdazza Forum Member

Been doing a bit of machining today and made some stub axle spacers, I wasn't sure whether to go with 20mm wide or 25mm so I made both :)

corrado124.jpg

notenoughtime likes this.
  7. zx10rdazza Forum Member

Time for a bit of an update. I have changed all of the brake pipes for copper, unfortunately I didn't have enough pipe to do the drivers side front so This will get done later when I get more pipe.
    So that's pretty much everything done on the underside of the car.
    I decided to move the battery into the back of the car, I have used a mk4 golf battery junction box mounted in the engine bay to give me a few power options and to make the battery relocation easier

corrado126.jpg

corrado127.jpg

corrado125.jpg

corrado131.jpg

I have used welding cable from work for my main battery cable, that should provide plenty of cranking amps! I have a few plans for the rear of the car, all will be revealed later.

8. zx10rdazza Forum Member

Made a start on the intercooler pipe work. I have made it all from 2.5 stainless, just need to get it all welded up now.

corrado134.jpg

corrado133.jpg

corrado132.jpg

I also moved the expansion bottle to the other side of the engine bay.

corrado129.jpg

And also managed to fit my catch tank, need to order a cap for it now.

corrado128.jpg

9. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Looking good this one! I like it :thumbup:

One for Eddie...

I was under the impression that the MAF sensor element was calibrated to the housing it was fitted to. Possible issue for calibration error or can this be mapped out?

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The voltage output of the MAF would vary based on the housing diameter yes. So smaller housings will quickly hit the 5v maximum vs a larger diameter.
    In the ECU that voltage will correspond to the an airflow in kg/h. Usually that relationship is determined at the OEM with the entire filtration system intact.
    On a conversion, the mapping person can compensate if these are not fitted and he knows what table to tweak.

11. rainbird New Member

The sensor itself is largely the same across the board (with exception to a couple of different physical fitment types), all the calibration as such is in the map. As a result you can change diameter housings whilst retaining the individual sensor if required, but you'll have to get the map adjusted to read correctly.

Sensor effectively measures air speed across it, so moving to a larger housing decreases this and readings will drop as a result - scale the MAF in the map accordingly and you're good to go :)

Edit; too slow. That'll teach me to have a few threads open and not refresh before replying!

12. zx10rdazza Forum Member

So stay away from the bigger mafia housing then unless you map to suit? I wasn't planning on any mapping as I have a Revolution stg 2 mapped ecu.

13. zx10rdazza Forum Member

I had a day on the car last weekend, as I went into the garage I could smeel petrol. A quick glance under the car revealed a nice pool of petrol.
    corrado135.jpg

The leak was coming from the accumulator pipe that was quite rotten, so no option for it I had to take the pump assembly down to investigate further. Seems that wasn't the only problem. The plastic pump housing was also cracked, admitedly made slightly worse as I was wrestling to remove it.
    corrado136.jpg

corrado137.jpg

14. zx10rdazza Forum Member

So a bit of clever plastic welding with the soldering iron ensued, follwed up with a coat of epoxy resin.
    corrado138.jpg
    corrado139.jpg

15. zx10rdazza Forum Member

I had a new pipe made up in stainless braided hose from my local hose suplier, I forgot to get pictures of that!. Anyhow the repair seems to have done the trick, no leaks or smell of fuel. :thumbup:

16. zx10rdazza Forum Member

A bit more of an update, I've managed to get the intercooler pipe welded up and fitted, I'm just pondering sending it off for powder coating now.
    corrado145.jpg

Also fitted my carbon air intake, it's a Simota one off my old BMW 328 Msport. I made a little bracket for it and secured it to the intercooler pipe.
    corrado142.jpg

I'm just waiting on a silicone hose arriving now for the recirc valve.
    corrado143.jpg

I've also been a little bit busy in the back of the car.
    I made a strut brace with the mountings welded to the strut towers.
    corrado141.jpg

And boarded the rear bench seat area out around my battery after reloacting it to the back of the car. I need to source some carpet now and carpet over it all. I'm trying to make the back of the car look something like the Audi TT Sport Quattro.
    corrado140.jpg