Converting a 9A to 20v Turbo

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by zx10rdazza, Nov 12, 2017.

1. zx10rdazza Forum Member

So I have finaly taken the plunge and bought a Corrado 2.0 16v in lovely Blackberry pearl. I am already having thoughts of going 20v turbo, but which engine code? I had a Lotus Elise that I converted using an AGU engine running on Emerald K6 management. I don't want to go to the expense of standalone management, so I'm kind of steering away from the AGU as the ecu isn't rearded as being easy to remamp, but I'm not too sure about the added hassle of going DBW. Has anyone done this conversion? How easy/difficult would it be to go DBW? I was looking a buying a complete donor car but I'm struggling for space to keep one, so I may have to buy the parts required as and when I can get them.
    What would my old 9A engine be worth with full service history?

2. jamesa Forum Junkie

What is your reason for changing the engine please ?

zx10rdazza likes this.
  3. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I've got DBW in mine. I was super easy to put in, I just modified the pedal box/bulkhead to accommodate the sensor.

zx10rdazza likes this.
  4. zx10rdazza Forum Member

Just to give the car a slightly more modern feel and to get a reliable 200-ish bhp. I bought the car at the weekend and drove it all the way home from Southampton to Rotherham. The car did'nt miss a beat but I could plainly see how much slower the acceleration was at the side of my mate's Octavia tdi (140) when pulling out of junctions. My daily driver is a brand new Golf mk7.5 with a stg1 remap and Forge tip on it, so I've kind of been spoilt regarding the power and modern creature comforts. lol

jamesa likes this.
  5. zx10rdazza Forum Member

Modify the pedal box /bulkhead? what does this involve? Do you have any pictures or a thread of your build? I might have just bought an AUM engine complete with 'box, driveshafts, loom, ecu and a few other bits. I don't think there's a pedal though, so I might be trwling ebay in the coming weeks.
    Did you use your original radiator? I only ask as the car has just had a new rad fitted so would be a shame if I could'nt use it.

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

Thanks ... a slippery slope then ;)

I may be interested in the 9A when you are ready to part with it.

7. zx10rdazza Forum Member

I'll keep you posted on that mate.

jamesa likes this.
  8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

pedal is no bother, they're the same unit for all the later petrol engine mk4. just make sure its a petrol one and not diesel! if in doubt post up the part numbers and we can confirm :)

9. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I do have a build thread up, it'll be in there somewhere. It depends how you wish to go about it as there are many different ways, for the time being I have kept the MK2 020 box because I had it rebuilt before deciding to go 20v so no hydraulic clutch etc so just welded the TPS onto my bulkhead and then used the original pedal and changed the arm to fit the new sensor, all in the thread.

Yes, you can use the original rad, I have done so. I just had to move it back so it sat straight because the FMIC wouldn't fit.

10. zx10rdazza Forum Member

11. rubjonny

yep sure will :)

12. zx10rdazza Forum Member

Sound, thanks John. I just need to try and find a Polo/Ibiza shifter now, shame this Mk4 Golf one is no good as it looks like bloody new!
    The pile of parts is growing so I'll soon be removing the 9A and listing it for sale, anyone any idea's what it's worth? I'll be selling it with the 020 'box and anything else that's not required in the 20v conversion.

13. rubjonny

you can still use the mk4 shifter, just more cutting required to get it in is all :)

14. zx10rdazza Forum Member

Made a fair bit of progress on the car this week, got the 9A out and removed the engine bay loom. As things were going so well I went and test fitted the 20V, all good, even the power steering hoses line up to the 20v steering pump. ;)
    So next step ist to tackle the loom conversion, so does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 9A engine? I did go and buy a workshop manual off ebay but this does'nt cover the 9A engine.
    I'll post pictures of the build when i can get them uploaded.
    Thanks.
    corrado4.jpg
    corrado13.jpg
    corrado26.jpg
    corrado27.jpg
    corrado28.jpg
    corrado29.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Toyotec likes this.
  15. zx10rdazza Forum Member

Looks like I have dropped a bit of a B#####K! the loom that I bought for the conversion is from an APX TT engine, so the knock sensor plugs are 3 pin not the AUM 2 pin. [:x] Question is are there any more differences with this loom or will it all still work as per the guide on here? Hopefully Rubjonny will be along shortly to tell me that everything is fine. lol I'm now of to search for the 3 pin knock sensors.[:|]

16. rubjonny

have a look in my signature link, golf91.pdf. it covers the 9a install into the mk2 which is pretty close. not that it really matters too much to you, the 9a wires will all be chopped and spliced to the 20v ones anyway same way as my guide describes.

apx is narrowband pre-cat, and has no VVT. not sure which way the inlet pokes on those so double check how the throttle body plug fits etc. you'll have to swap whats different sensor wise, then you will be good to go. just a case of is it easier/cheaper for you to get another loom, or some few sensors. Or talk to your loom builder, they may be able to convert the APX -> AUM/AUQ ;)

17. zx10rdazza Forum Member

hmm, maybe safer to ebay this loom and get another unless someone is going K04? I'll post it in the classifieds along with my old 9A. Cheers John. :thumbup:

18. zx10rdazza Forum Member

Peddal box modded to fit mk4 golf pedal, it's a tight fit up against the fusebox in the 'Raddo.
    corrado80.jpg
    corrado81.jpg
    corrado82.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  19. zx10rdazza Forum Member

Fitted the Golf shifter, to do this I removed the original brackets from the Corrado's tunnel. This allowed me to get the shifter into the correct position
    corrado33.jpg
    Corrado83.jpg
    Sorry I didn't get any more pictures of this.

20. zx10rdazza Forum Member

Got off to a good start with the loom with lots of help from my mate Steve, cheers mate. I didn't get any photo's of the wiring due to going back and forth to my pc to read the guide on here. Which brings me on to say a big thanks to Rubjonny for his superb fountain of knowledge and a fantastic how to guide. :thumbup:
    corrado46.jpg

As you can see I have mounted the ecu in the scuttle panel, unfortunately my rain cover has all but gone so I am going to look into making something to replace this myself.