Clarification front engine mount bracket for abf in mk2 golf

Discussion in 'Engines' started by BennyC, Nov 19, 2017.

1. BennyC Paid Member Paid Member

Have been looking through old posts and it seems my issue of a leaning abf engine in the golf has been covered before. However can someone clarify how they got it to sit more level?? Different bracket? Any advice appreciated :thumbup:

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

is it actually leaning, or is it an illusion? the inlet manifold can make it seem worse than it is. check the level across the caps, measure down to the rocker cover rather than the inlet :)

the brackets you need depends on:
    1. gearbox
    2. subframe
    3. front engine carrier

3. BennyC Paid Member Paid Member

I have only fitted the bare engine and gearbox at the minute. What concerns me is just how close the bottom pulley is to the chassis leg. Its definitely higher on that side I just wondered whether a different front bracket might make it less obvious? Its on a mk2 subframe with kr gbox standard mounts etc. Thanks for your help :thumbup:

4. rubjonny

right then you should be fine with all the mk2 brackets then, any pics of how close it is? maybe you need to loosen off all the bracket bolts and shift it over a touch. Certainly no clearance issues on mine with mk2 brackets

5. BennyC Paid Member Paid Member

Sorry for late reply but here are a couple pictures. You cant even get ur little finger between the pulley and chassis leg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2017
  6. rubjonny

tricky to see from the angle but that looks about right for abf -> mk2 swap, theres no issues there except fitting the ribbed belt is a little tight but it will go thru :)

I'll try to get a moment to piccy mine up if I can. The various rear brackets only move the engine forward or back, probably wouldn't help. to lower it the corrado vr6 subframe could be used if you can find one, the rear mount cup sits a little lower than a mk3 golf one. alternatively you can modify the rear lower mount bracket if you have an 8v setup, flip it and drill a new hole thru the side slightly lower.

BennyC likes this.
  7. BennyC Paid Member Paid Member

Ill look into it. I was more worried about it hitting the chassis leg under acceleration etc. . . I prob go back and do away with the abf pulley system and go back to the kr stuff might be slimmer. I have an 8v bracket somewhere so Ill check that out. Thanks for your help

8. rubjonny

engine will rotate backwards under acceleration so no danger there, you'll be fine :)

9. trackdaygtimk2 Forum Member

ABF in my mk2 looks similar , have a solid rear gearbox mount shaved 15mm (thanks Hotgolf) and a homemade poly rear mount lowered 15mm , this meant the standard 4 branch cleared the bulk head with ease , standard front mount means the engine tilts back even further but has done hours and hours round brands hatch without any issues

10. trackdaygtimk2 Forum Member

Forgot to add in previous post I am running KR pulley and alternator

11. rubjonny

I'll post a pic up soonish, as I'm working in that area atm ;)

12. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

For an ABF engine swap, using the original 2Y gearbox, gearbox mounts and KR engine mounts, no further action or ajustment is required.

What front mount are you using?

13. BennyC Paid Member Paid Member

I am using a new hydraulic type mount. I have since had a play and changed back to the kr bottom pulley and fitted a thick washer I had laying around between the gearbox mount and the arm and she now sits level. The gearbox mount is of the solid rubber type. I havent fitted exhaust yet however its just a mk3 downpipe with decat pipe. Another issue I have found is there doesnt seem to be a tdc mark on flywheel there is 6 degree mark. Whilst not a problem as such it did throw me a bit when lining up tdc

14. rubjonny

Thats pretty much exactly where mine is sitting, its not a problem :thumbup:

what flywheel have you got? if its the ABF one I'd be surprised if it has a BTDC rather than a TDC marker since there is no timing setup procedure required? if its an 020 type there should be a TDC one but it'll be smaller than the big diamond

15. BennyC Paid Member Paid Member

Its the standard kr flywheel 2y gearbox etc I just cant see a mark everything else lines up and I have the diamond cut out visible. I will look again the weekend. Thanks