mk4 stubs + polo hubs

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by joels, Nov 21, 2017.

1. joels New Member

hi wanted to fit mk4 golf stubaxels to my mk2 golf as feel better design but need an 4x100 hub as some polo have this would it fit the mk4 stub
    i ask as cant seem to find the polo gti stubaxels with the bracket for calipers.
    i know mk4 golf dont have the bracket on them i was going to cut the stub of the mk2 ones so i would be left with a plate that had the bracket on then bolt
    mk4 and mk2 to the rear beam then space the calipers to suit.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

lupo have a flat carrier bracket you can bolt on under the stubs, or people have just lopped the end off a mk4 beam and ground it flat. pretty sure the mk4 stubs have a bigger bearing in them?

you can get the stubs you need from seat ibiza as well, keep shopping around :)

3. TomAKL

TomAKL Paid Member Paid Member

Polo 6N stub axles bolt straight onto Mk2 and Mk3 rear beams i believe, and then use Polo 6N hubs for 4x100 or 9N hubs for 5x100. Both of these polo hubs use the Mk4-style bearings, rather than the needle-taper bearings you're keen to move away from. Nige wrote extensively about his conversion to using these bearings, on page 21 or 22 of his mammoth build thread in Member's Rides. I beleive there is a stub axle spacer to be had from one of the polo or ibiza setups which can give you the advantage of a wider rear track.

When using the polo stub axles i'm sure the Mk2/3 caliper carriers bolt straight on and need no spacing to work with 232mm solid Polo discs.

Nige likes this.
  4. joels New Member

is the 6n im after just cant get them. i go for the lupo or ibiza ones without brackets as seem to be more about . and maybe cut the mk4 beam caliper brackets
    thanks

5. joels New Member

thanks just cant get them . i go for the lupo/ibiza ones

6. rubjonny

yep finding them is the hard part, but its not like the originals are terrible really so could swap over a mk2/3 set and pick the caliper you want to end up with. once you do find the right setup you dont have to detach the caliper just hang it out the way while you swap over the rest of the parts. can go 5x100 easily as well, just use mk3 discs.

If you need ABS the 9n stubs are a bit tricky as the abs sensor/ring system they use is incompatible with earlier stuff, but with a little machine work it can be adapted

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  7. SimonG Forum Member

Sporty Lupo's also had the Mk4 style of hub including some TDI models. The Lupo's give you the spacers for the wider track these incorporate the mountings for caliper carriers. However you cannot use the carriers from the Mk2. Mk4 Golf carriers are fine for use with the 232mm Polo/Lupo rear discs.

I picked up a whole rear axle from a Polo 9N and cut off the mounting plates and have the stub axles plus some 4 stud hubs. The mounting plates will need some milling. I only wanted the 5 stud hubs. And really I need to move these on. Where are you located Joels?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  8. joels New Member

i pm you

9. joels New Member

found these polo stubs part number 6q0501117 might use these with the 6n hubs you think that would fit

10. joels New Member

ok got some polo 6n2 gti hubs stubs ect but didnt come with hub nut any one got a link or know what ones i need

11. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Looks like it's the same as mk4 Golf etc - N 90654501. Hopefully someone else can confirm.

12. rubjonny

yep thats correct, superseded by N 90654502 at 11.26+VAT

13. joels New Member

great thanks

14. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

11 for a nut. If you are fitting new bearings they will come with the nut anyway.

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk