RCD510 Bluetooth Upgrade

Discussion in 'ICE' started by vacant, Nov 27, 2017.

1. vacant Paid Member Paid Member

My Mk5 GTI has the RCD510 unit in, but it doesn't have Bluetooth.
    I've seen a variety of kits ranging from 25 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-...rd_wg=s8lqQ&psc=1&refRID=BWXVAQNH4H18F83FD0AT) to over 100 and wanted to know if there's anything I need to consider before adding this.

I've heard the RCD510 can drain the battery of the Mk5 if the CANBUS gateway isn't upgraded. My car's had no battery problems so I'm assuming it's had the job done, but is it the Bluetooth function rather than the stereo itself that would increase the drain?

I don't want to spend 50-100 adding Bluetooth only to find out I need to shell out another 100+ to upgrade the CANBUS module...

Thanks in advance.

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

The amazon link you put up looks just like the wiring harness to me, No actual bluetooth module!

It's the radio that drains the battery, not the bluetooth module but i thought that only happened on the RNS510. I didn't know if happened on the RCD510 also.

3. vacant Paid Member Paid Member

Yep, realised that after I posted.
    I've read that the RCD510 drains the battery too, but I'm not sure if my cars had the CANBUS upgraded. Any way to visually tell?