Mk4 25J Winter Wheels - Compomotive TH2 1775 now fitted!

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Dave, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Good for you Rob!:thumbup:

2. Desertstorm

Desertstorm Paid Member Paid Member

3. Dave

Thanks Desertstorm.

This looks like a possible deal.

Red car because when you try to change the colour to Silver it shows Black.
    Don't like Black unless it's a SAAB 99 Turbo. Rally colour.
    Don't like Silver cars but the 25J was only available in Red, Black and Silver. WHY!? White should have been available.
    Chose Silver because it was the rally colour.
    Don't really like red unless it's a SAAB Sport. Rally colour. Owned one and wish I had it still. Best engineered car in the 1960s!

Looks like the same configuration software as Speedline which does the same!

TYRELEADER S + 830P.png

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  4. Dave

I sort of took a leaf out of Rob's book and looked for test reports.
    I looked for German ones assuming that they would be using German made tyres.

This for the MAXX RTs sums up my own feelings.
    There were others very similar and the RT always came out 1st or 2nd, but in each case the comments were similar.
    I am sure that some clever sod will search and find tests where it did not feature well!

rt rtest.png

The CONTI 830P also has good results.
    Not too happy with the 'Negative Comments' though.
    Might have to think again!?

830p test.png

5. jamesa Forum Junkie

What are you buying then ? ;)

I`d wager that in the `real world` they`d all ^ perform much the same.

Today saw us out in up to 6" snow, slush and ice ... all comfortably managed by the S4 on Vredestein`s :)

6. Dave

Can't decide! You should know me well enough by now to know I don't usually rush into things, and I have only been researching this for a couple of months now.lol

I have just ordered some new Dunlop RTs so the car will pass the NCT in January. That assumes there will be no snow then and I can get the car off drive.

Up to now, the snow soon cleared. The worst problem was getting up the quite steep drive, which is two 4" deep 'mud' ruts with a grass centre and grass edges. I'll have to sort the drive soon as the front spoiler cuts the grass! Any deeper and the spoiler will be cutting into the clay. (Not soil in Eire)
    Mind you the 5km or so of single track 'L' (Local) roads to the N17 aren't much better. The grass situation is the same, but the mud is replaced by pot holed tarmac.

Lainey has retired now so we don't really need to be fully mobile all of the time. Even here Tesco do home deliveries of 'HobGoblin', so I'll be OK!lol

The only concern is when, and if, Lainey returns from Bahrain on 19th January. If I can't pick her up from the N4 she'll have a good 9km hike pulling 2 pieces of wheeled luggage in flip-flops.lol
    It's going to be a long and lonely festive season for me without my lovely lass. I have only seen her for 5 days since mid October!:cry:

Thinking again:

I could do what VWMS did on the Mk4 Kit Car. They used 310mm AP discs and calipers which would appear to clear 15" wheels. There are many more 15" rally wheels available.
    This way for just 2300, to AP Racing, I could kill two birds with one stone.
    #1 - Have a larger choice of proper wheels. Perhaps I can find some of the VWMS OZ Magnesium wheels on ebay?lol
    #2 - Get rid of the massive heavy solid discs and the massive heavy 'bling' red calipers.:thumbup:

4 KC FR BR 1.png 4 KC FR BR 2.png

G4 Kit Car Wheels.png G4 Kit Car Wheels 2.png

vw-golf-4-kit-car-4.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  7. jamesa Forum Junkie

Morning Dave,

Sounds like you need to change the car for that HiLux I mentioned earlier :o ;) lol or get your hands on / make a Kitcar sump guard ?

I too have looked into / spoken with AP ... about `stuff` ... one day perhaps :)

We have a similar drive, last year I `dug out - topped` the central grass section by hand (pick / mattock / shovel) ... two weeks work !

Take care.

8. Dave

9. jamesa Forum Junkie

Aye ... copied that and thought OUCH !!!

10. Dave

Just spend two days swapping lots of e-mails with Continental Tyre's Technical Manager.
    Great guy but don't think much to his Mustang 'Muscle' Car!lol

Compared with Dunlop's guy, who told me nothing, he was a font of wisdom.

It turns out that the TS 850 P is a replacement for the TS 830 P and is improved from 2% to 5%. 'Spider's Web' chart attached.

Why 16" AO tyres are 60 aspect ratio is a mystery to both of us! Checking modern AUDIs on 16" wheels showed no 60 tyres, only 205/55 x 16.

But what does make sense are 17" fitments. There are two AO TS 850 P tyres in 225/50 x 17!

So. Here's the result:

TS 850 P web.png Conti TS 850 P TEST.png

TH2 + 850.png

TH* TS850.png

Plus another 200 for: Spigot Rings + Bolts + Valves + Fitting

SO. Compared with steels, which don't appear to be available in 17", the extra cost means:

12 week's pension blown!:thumbd:
    Finding Lainey's Credit Union savings book, forging her signature and blowing the equivalent of 12 month's savings!:o
    Starting a 'Dave's Winter Wheel Fund' on CGTI!:thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  11. Desertstorm

The Wifes Polo has TS850P winter tyres on all around 185/60/15 very impressed with them, they are just about the best winter tyres available.
    I used Nokian WR A3 on my 3.0TDI A4 quattro . These are 225/50/17 and they cope very well with the nearly 400bhp and 750Nm .

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nokian/wr-a3/225-50-r17-98v-755583 I thought the MK4 golf used 225/45/17 tyres.

I wouldn't go more that 7.5 inch on wheel rims for a 225 winter tyre as an 8 inch rim will give no protection if you happen to get anywhere near a kerb, quite possible in snowy conditions as sometimes it's hard to work out where the side of the road is.
    Plus winter wheels always tend to be narrower, they work better. Have you ever seen a WRC on studded tyres, they are about 5 inches wide.

How about a set of Audi TT comps. 7.5 x17 lightweight and cheap enough second hand.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-TT-...632267?hash=item4b2a25430b:g:h3EAAOSwIj5Z410h

12. Dave

Don't know what 17" tyres are standard on Mk4s. Lainey's 25J has 225/40 x 18 as standard.
    But you are correct that 225/45 x 17 would be better but there are no AO in that size, only 225/50 x 17.
    I shall e-mail the Technical Manager at Conti to see if he is willing to tell me which, if any, of the 225/45 x 17 will give AO, or better, levels grip and response.

Those Nokian are Directional. I don't like directional tyres as they tend to 'tramline'!
    Some time in the early 1990s I tried Nokian summer tyres on my AUDI Coupe. They were awful. Almost zero wet grip.
    Like Michelin I am not going there again!

Bit stuck on wheel width. TH2 1781 is only available in 8".
    TH2 1775, which I prefer, is 7.5". But can't find any in the correct fitment.
    I have contacted Compomotive directly for a price but they have not responded as yet.

compomotive-th2-1775.jpg

Those TT wheels are typical of 90% of VAG wheels since they stopped using Ronal R8s.
    Ugly and heavy!

The BBS RC wheels on the 25J are very heavy. But not too bad looking.
    My forged mag alloy BBS RG wheels, standard AUDI V8, are uber light.
    They actually list 17" RGs on ETKA. I have been searching for some for about 17 years now!

Tried the AUDI 15" steel winter wheels today. They would not clear either the outer edge or side of the massive, uber heavy, caliper.

Why don't VAG, instead of fitting crappy aircon, electric windows and disc changer hi-fi systems, fit some decent AP Racing Brakes, and forged mag alloy wheels?
    Those massive solid discs and calipers on the 25J must destroy the unsprung weight!

Just look at the naff stuff fitted to the Mk7 Golf R! That thing also has the added demerit of stupidly expensive, and heavy none grip, leather seat covers together with the naff and heavy 4 x tail pipes.

For the price of all that crap they could have fitted:
    Recaro Competition seats.
    AP Racing brakes front and rear.
    Sachs Race Engineering Group N coil-overs.
    Lightweight competition wheels.
    Alloy panels.

It might warrant an 'R' badge then.
    Mind you one would still have to put up with the awful front and rear lights!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  13. Dave

Continental really have not got their act together!

There are no 225/45 x 17 TS 850 P tyres!

14. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Those Compomotives are absolutely gorgeous! :o

15. jamesa Forum Junkie

16. Dave

Slight problem Andrew me luverly laddo!

They have a somewhat directional tread pattern!:o

'Wet Braking' - My worst nightmare.
    Mind you driving yesterday on brand new un-scrubbed MAXX RTs was fun. The ESP light was on most of the time![:D]
    Talk about axle tramp. I thought that the front end would fall off!lol
    850 P AS test.png

17. jamesa Forum Junkie

... coat firmly attached, I`m off [:$] lol

:idea: ... maybe I should read more, rather than buying / using ;) :)

What car did they use for the tests, maybe I`m spoilt with the S4 or I`m a better driver [:D] lol

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  18. Desertstorm

The TS860 has replaced the TS850. Seems to be an incrementally better tyre with small improvements all around.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Continental-WinterContact-TS860-Preview.htm

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/continental/winter-contact-ts-860/225-45-r17-91h-747794

The P suffix on the TS830P and TS850P tyres means the car is designed for performance cars . Looks like on the new TS860 there is no TS860P it's a TS860S which is for sports cars and is only available 18 inch and up.
    I would go for the TS860

19. Dave

I have said it before and I'll say it again:

"I don't like directional tyres as they tend to 'Tramline'."

The TS860 is DIRECTIONAL!

20. Dave

Found these used MVS with almost new Toyo Proxies.

They are 18 x 8.

MVS1885.jpg

Compo Cork.png