Mk2 Golf 1.3 - Do I actually have MFA or not?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by tapehead_01, Dec 11, 2017.

1. tapehead_01 New Member

So I have a slightly unusual instrument cluster in my '89 Mk2 1.3 (see below image) and along with a rev counter it also seems to have all the symbols for the MFA. I'm pretty certain this is the original cluster and not a later addition (the mileage is correct to the car) but I don't have the MFA stalk, nor have I ever been able to use any of the MFA functions. The two buttons on either side of the display don't do anything either and I can't set the time. So what's going on here? Do I actually have an MFA and just the wrong stalk and if I replace the stalk with the correct type will I be able to use the MFA functions? If it helps the car has a CE1 style fuse box and cluster.

Kq8A7UN.jpg

Funnily enough I've also always had a problem with the rear wiper in that it won't switch off unless I physically disconnect it from power. I checked connections and it seems fine but could this possibly be caused by not having the correct wiper stalk?

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

No, you shouldn't have. A 1.3 wouldn't have come with MFA from factory. You need an MFA stalk and wiring put in for it all to work. Definitely an addition to the car.

Dodgy stalk i'd say.

You shouldn't even have a rev counter :p

3. tapehead_01 New Member

Ha yeah I thought it was a bit weird, I've never seen another 1.3 with a rev counter before, maybe I've been had with the mileage too! I guess that pretty much explains why none of it works then. Would it be complicated to retro-fit the wiring for the MFA or is it a relatively simple process?

4. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Well it's super easy to clock them back to the original mileage.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure. I think you need Digifant for most of it to work, but Rubjonny will come along and answer all your electrical questions i'm sure.

5. tapehead_01 New Member

Oh yeah makes sense, come to think of it I doubt I have any of the sensors on my non-ecu car for things like exterior temperature and average speed and the like...

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

those are definitely a retrofit, and they haven't put the right speedometer in there either the 1540 code speedo is for big block 1.6-1.8. the 1.0-1.3 should have code 1505 so the speed/mileage will be slightly off, though you probably wouldn't notice as its pretty slight. It refers to the number of cable rotations the speedometer expects per mile, so they'll be seeing 35 less rotations than they should.

You can get all the functions except the big MPG needle/upshift light to work by adding 5 wires and a vacuum pipe, the mpg wont be 100% right mind as it'll be calibrated for a 1.8 GTI engine rather than a 1.3 carb.

For the mpg/shift light to work you need a different type reverse switch setup which you cant get for the 085 type box plus a vacuum switch for the shift light. The reverse switch on the GTI box tells the cluster when the car is in 5th gear which serves 2 functions. first is to switch on the mpg needle, and 2nd is to disable the shift light. You could fool the clocks into thinking the car is always in 5th then the needle will always work. or without a 5th gear switch the mpg needle will never work but the shift light will, but it'll also come on when you're in 5th gear. could always add a micro switch to the shift lever :)

7. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

On a related note, how would one add a rev counter to a 1.3 so? If you had a spare Gti clockset to raid.

8. rubjonny

just swap the cluster over job done, the 1.3 still need the rev counter feed for the oil pressure warning system :)

some early ones may not have the rev counter feed, but if it has 2 oil pressure switches on it then it will. worst case its just a case of add a wire from the coil to D/26 on the fusebox if its missing

9. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Could you retrofit a ce1 rev counter to a ce2 cluster, to keep the mileage "untampered" with?

10. tapehead_01 New Member

Thanks for the information, yes I have noticed the speedo is a few mph out compared with those road signs that display your speed as you pass them. Would it be possible to swap in just the speedo dial from a set of 1.3 clocks?

Hmm this is sounding like a pretty fun (though not very useful) project... Is there a guide anywhere I can follow to add these 5 wires? Probably won't get the shift light working properly though as I have an 084 gearbox, not an 085.

11. rubjonny

Tristan the ce1 and ce2 clusters are incompatible internally, so you cant swap bits between. But if you get the right type of clocks to fit your car/fusebox you can swap your old speedo over though :)

tapehead: MK2 speedo are always slightly out anyway, so its not like it would be perfect with a smallblock speedo fitted! usually under-read by around 5mph dependign on road speed,. tyre size, overall wear n tear etc. 084 is the 4 speed version of the 085, pretty similar. I should have just said smallblock gearbox as its the same deal either way, only 2 pin reverse switches are available. That being said, I think you can get 'formel E' models with the smallblock engines in, and they have the MPG gauge that only works in 5th. I wonder if the other unused holes round the front are for other gear position switches.... Not that it helps you since you dont have a 5th gear anyway :lol: