Sticky tyres

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Stew1803, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Stew1803 New Member

I'm looking for advice on tyres that will be super grippy 195/45/15

The mk2 will run an abf. And be used mainly for back roads.

Road noise isn't a problem, neither is how long they last either really as it'll be a weekend toy.

I usually use Toyo proxes t1r but want others options before I go with them again.

2. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Why the low profile? back roads tend to have bumps/dips holes etc why not go up a size as you may find it less Harsh

3. Stew1803 New Member

That was the size in the proxes I found suited best to my driving style at the time.
    Granted the new setup will have better suspension etc so I could probably get away with bigger profiles, I'm open to any suggestions really.

4. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

A few I have used are federal 595s which are good but they are quite wide, a 195 is more like a 205. Also rainsport 1s but there is a rainsport 2 now which everyone raves about.
    Without going down the road legal track tyre route (R888) it depends on how far you want to go and spend!

bazoldskoolmk2 likes this.
  5. Desertstorm

Desertstorm Paid Member Paid Member

bazoldskoolmk2 likes this.
  6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Have Nankang "come good"? Once upon a time they were regarded as Ditch finders, around here. I'm also looking for a sticky, back road usable 195 50 15 for my mk2 that will work wet or dry.

7. Tristan

I think there's actually a Rainsport 3 now.

8. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yep. I've got RS3's on my mk2. This is my second set now. They're fantastic.

9. Tristan

Good on hot dry days, Sam?

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Mk2 road tyres IMO, I use Rainsport 3.

On track, where it is safe this is what I observed.

On a dry track were corner speeds are higher and braking can be later, depending on your cars suspension set up and bravery, you need tyres with increased grip and stiffer side walls. So R888 G, A048, Dirreza DZ03G and so on. Those result in a horrible ride as a road tyre!
    On a wet track, the flexible character of the Rainsport 3 side walls and the tyre blocks provide excellent confidence in standing water while on track.

On a road, you could never drive the same on a track, so optimum performance for tyres on a track is never exercised.

11. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

The Nankangs you are thinking of are the Ns2's which are very cheap standard road tyres and from my own experience found them okay on the road.

The Nankangs that have been mentioned above are NS-2R which are a semi slick. I use them on my mk2 in a 195/50 profile and they are fantastic!! super grippy in the dry and have a B rating in the wet. I've now done 4 track days, 3 trips to the 'Ring and road miles and they still have 2mm left.

Picture below is after 1 lap of the Ring

[​IMG]

Nankang have also brought out an AR-1 which I'll try next, these wont be as good in the wet but they are their equivalent of an R888.

All in all I cant rate the NS-2R enough! for 60 corner I dont think they can be beaten.

12. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

I found RS3 progressively turn to jelly with increasing under steer/soft shoulder from warm+sunny conditions, but on the other hand they are ridiculously good in the wet and don't suffer badly like summer tyres (15" limitations) when it's damp and cold.

I haven't run a full set, only fronts which perhaps makes it more noticeable. At Curby I swapped them to the back bringing old rear summer tyres (Eagle F1) to the front as the track temperature rose significantly.

I guess wide track helps to a degree, but I don't know how Sam set such good times on them really on the same day.

13. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Christ, a rainsport 3! As i say, a lot of people with high power MK5 GTI's run them.

I'm running Pilot Sport 3's on my MK6 GTI and they are amazing, grip in all weather but they don't go down to 15" sadly.

14. Toyotec

On a dry track day, I never run Uniroyal RS3s. They just melt and try to bend under the car...LOL

15. Toyotec

Those are a some leap above cheapo RS3s I should add. Very good rubber for the road and track.

16. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

195/50/15 Rainsports get my vote, I did a few days at Mallory on them never had any issue with them either on the road or with my road weight daily mk2 on the track.

my only comment is would be, I did one track day on my OE steels and they seemed to roll a lot more than when on my 7j wider alloys, but I guess that's more to do with the wheel than the tyre.

17. Tristan

I always reckon tyres are cheaper than accidents. If you had to pick a single type of tyre to put on your mk2, to drive to the Ring, and lap it, drive home and go to work on, and not sure if it was going to be wet or dry, what would you choose?

18. Toyotec

Federal 595 tyres.

19. Tristan

Oh yeah? Why so, Ed?

20. Toyotec

Ok all round tyre.

Not very noisy into the cabin so pleasant over long distance.
    Enough grip and sidewall stiffness for a few enthusiastic laps of the ring.
    Okay in the damp/wet.

Sort of midway tyre between full road and full track. Had them on my old MK3 VR6.