Sticky tyres

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Stew1803, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

My local friendly tyre retailer has given me a good price on Michelin PS3s. He said Federal used to be good but "legislation regarding use of particular chemicals in tyres was enacted in Europe and after that they became extremely hard. Theyre like forklift tyres now"

I'm tempted by the Michelin.

2. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Probably a little unfair to compare them directly but for sure.

The Rainsports were great and lasted ages but my mk2 isn't a daily anymore so craved something a little more performance orientated.

Stiffer sidewalls were certainly noticeable (50 profile as opposed to the 45 of the Rainsports may have helped), but it's the compound of them that is incredible once they have a little heat in them.

I got used to the limit where the Rainsports would let go in the dry, predictable and progressive, but pushing as hard as within the limits of the road with the Yoko's - just kept gripping and gripping.

Weren't shockingly bad in the wet either to be fair.

Hands down one of the best upgrades on the car. We'll see how they fair durability and performance wise this year after a few trackdays and indeed what they are like on the proper limit...

195/50/15 profile:

[​IMG]

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Rainsports 3 I use are 195/50/15. They are not suitable for dry track driving when you are pushing on. As you said the side walls turn to jello in such a condition and the blocks start to melt.

4. bigeyd Forum Member

Did the NS2Rs before they became fashionable and you always got the ditch finders blurb, last ones I did was the Federals and they were good but the Nankangs for me were better (on my Edition 30)

On a sidetone on my 8L S3 I used Parada Spec 2's which were sticky in the dry but LMFAO and call me Mary when in the wet