Clacking when pulling away - worse when turning

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by topnotch, Jan 9, 2018.

1. topnotch Forum Member

Hi,

My car - mk2 8v golf gti as developed an annoying clacking when applying power to pull away - seems to be worse on turning.

I `ve had it all in the air and i`m struggling to see the problem!

Nothing is loose - the noise appears to come from the left side and it sounds like a sort of clack clack clack. Wheel bearings seem fine - one on the left had a bit of play there, so replaced it with a good one. Also fitted a new driveshaft to the same left side.

Has not made any difference! All CV bolts are tight, hub nuts are tight,etc. Car seems to drive ok otherwise and handling hasn`t particularly changed that i can tell.

I`m at a bit of a loss really!

Any help or suggestions appreciated!

Cheers, MIke

2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Sounds like your CV joint is on its way out especially as its worse when turning .
    You ever had busted cv boots that would have left dirt in ?

3. topnotch Forum Member

it could be - i`ve only swapped one driveshaft out on the left side which is where i thought the noise was coming from.

Cars been off the road for about 3 years before i had it. i`ve got it going and been using it for about 2-3 months now. The only thing i can think of is that a couple of weeks ago i drove through a 'minor' flood - was a bit deeper than i anticiapted! Boots aren`t torn, but maybe soem water got in them. Boots do look fine though.

I think i``m going to have to get the drivers side cv joint/driveshaft and swap that out aswell to rule it out unfortunately....

4. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

Try popping the cv boots off first and having a look, when my Focup decided to eat a cv joint recently it was very obvious where the problem lay, will only cost a new clip to investigate.
    Can be worth jacking up one side of the car (leaving the other front wheel on the ground) on full lock and in neutral, then spinning the raised wheel by hand. Any difference in roughness compared to the other side tells you where to start looking.
    Good luck :)

5. topnotch Forum Member

Well, hopefully is resolved! Swapped the pther driveshaft out and the outer cv joint on this side (even though the noise was from the passenger) was very loose and clonky.

All back together and now i have the ability to accelerate around corners instead of coasting! Also, my bang on changing gear and pulling away has gone which ithough was an engine mount on its way out :-)

Sirguydo likes this.
  6. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Must of been close to the CV cage disintegrating. Good save.

7. mike.s New Member

Yes - I was surprised at how quickly it came on - only a started about a week ago.
    I took the old boot off and there was no water or dirt in there - just grease and a very loose coupling!

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Thanks for taking time to give feedback on the fix :thumbup: