2002 8v gti wiper ecu problem

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Night trucker, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Night trucker Paid Member Paid Member

Evening all
    The old girl is giving me grief at the mo,wipers won't turn off on any setting,took it to a local garage before christmas they said they have cleaned the corrosion off the ECU (48).
    They said if it happens again might be a new ECU,question is how much of a silly priced bill is it to get a new one fitted please?.
    Not got much room to work on the car but is it something I can do myself or is it a garage job please.
    Thanks

Jeff.

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Have you had a look at the relays etc?

Get a second hand ECU off selling sites etc and just pay 30 or whatever to get it deimmo'd..

Night trucker likes this.
  3. Night trucker Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Sam.
    Will try a relay,will look for a second hand ECU and ask the garage about fitting.

Thank you

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

relay/ecu is the same thing on these, its just a double relay plugged into the relay carrier under the steering wheel. not hard to get, just note the unit for automatic rain-sensing wiper system is different to the basic one.

I assume an auto wiper relay will work on a non-auto car but not the other way round (well, it would probably work but obv no more auto wipers)

5. Night trucker Paid Member Paid Member

Jonny thank you for the reply,if the relay/ecu is the same thing what did the garage do for 48 for cleaning the corrosion off it? Sorry if it sounds a silly question (red face).

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I would assume they pulled the ecu/relay out of the relay board and cleaned up the contacts, if there was corrosion this would suggest you had/have a water leak and the inside of the ecu/relay could be damaged as well. MK4 its a mission just to get to the relay carrier, shed loads of screws to undo and a load of trim etc so I guess the bulk of the charge was down the amount of time it took to actually get to the ecu/relay :lol:

not like a mk2 where you just pop a cover off and there they are!