02J into mk2 GTI, definitive list or thread?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Tristan, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

So the time is rapidly coming for my O2j swap.
    I have a 1.8t box that was in a mk1,
    a Polo 6n shifter and cables (thanks Rubjonny
    HotGolf G60 flywheel and clutch
    Seat clutch cable adapter
    , so is there anything else not so obvious I need?
    1.3 clutch cable is it?
    Speedo cable?
    Will any mk4 starter do or does it have to be a GTI?
    I presume I need an 02a front mount, what about rear?

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

1.3 Speedo cable,
    Any starter from a 1.8t up, although they'd pretty much all fit.

Any 02a gearbox bracket, so G60, mk3 abf, tdi or vr6, all manual gearbox corrado and passat b3 and b4. the front bracket depends on the front engine carrier. if its a mk2 one then its a G60 or corrado/passat 4 cylinder one you need. if its a corrado vr6 type front carrier then you use the mk3 abf or tdi type bracket <-- sent to me by John :)

3. Tristan

Front carrier as in front crossmember? Mine is stock 1.8 PB mk2, in fact the whole car is pretty much. Just doing a 2.0 8v and 02J swap, box and engine at the same time.

Actually I suppose new crossmember bushes wouldn't be a bad idea...

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep by front cross member i mean the one the front engine mount is sat on/in. Corrado VR6 and bigger engine passat/toledo take a mk3 golf engine mount, so you would use a mk3 front bracket.

Since you have the MK2 carrier you need the G60, corrado and passat 4 cylinder manual type bracket part number 357199273. Rear bracket same again, 4 cylinder 02a type one. several part numbers for suitable brackets, 357199354, 357199354H, 535199354 and 535199354C will all work the same.

for the clutch cable the best one to get is the SEAT Toledo TDI one, its OEM fit for MK2 chassis + seat clutch adaptor (since a toledo is basically a MK2 jetta). still available from the SEAT dealer, part number in here:
    http://clubgti.com/showthread.php?107068

have you got the clutch cable retaining bracket? with the 02J shifter this will get in the way of the reverse switch so you either remove that or mod the cable holder

starter wise as above, or MK3 ABF/TDI type will also work fine plus corrado and passat 4 cylinder. main thing is what plug do you have on your loom, mk2 and earlier corrado/passat have a spade on them and mk3 onwards use a nice waterproof plug housing. You can use the mk2 spade on a later starter if you remove the plastic spade housing, pinch the spade tighter and push it on the terminal. If you get a later type starter ideally you want to crimp a new terminal on it so you can use the plug housing

5. Tristan

Thanks for that.
    So mk3 o2a starters work on an O2j? Good to hear.

6. rubjonny

4 cylinder ones will aye, vr6 starter is actually same fit as 020 box!

7. Tristan

Shame all the PBucket pics are gone.

8. rubjonny

which ones? the main post pictures all work fine for me. I've just fixed a couple further in but nothing you need to see really

9. Tristan

Oh rightyoh. I should be able to make a cable guide brackets I think. No SEAT dealers anywhere near me, local motor factors show an auto adjustable cable on that SEAT part number..

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I can answer this as I have converted mine from 020 to 02S in 4 hours down at VW Enterprises.
    Literally drive in and drive out. To step to 02S from an 020 is the same procedure as 020 to 02J.

It took some pre planning to accumulate the parts before hand mind but I do have them all listed down to bolts.

Then with the two of us working on the car is was a pretty rapid process.
    JENVEE is still cable clutch also.
    Shifter is MK4 Golf TDI as it came with the 6 sp knob.
    Cable bracket is MK4 5 speed.

I will get Darren who does stuff like this for a living to come and give more insight as what is involved.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  11. Toyotec

Not all 02J gearboxes use 02A starters.

12. Tristan

Excellent, I was hoping you and/or Darren would chip in.

13. rubjonny

the only problem with the 1.3 cables is they can be a bit tight, if so you chop down the inner cable sleeve a bit. but if you're making up your own cable retaining bracket then it should go straight on I guess?

I've not found any aftermarket supplier who will sell the right Toledo cable, they are always wrong no matter what the part numbers come back with. The cable is specific to the Toledo which is probably why no-one does it, pretty uncommon car!

I had both a genuine SEAT Toledo and gemo make 1.3 cable side by side and you can see the Toledo one is around 10-20mm shorter in the overall length of the outer cable (wish I'd measured it at the time). Plus the OEM SEAT cable is just that little bit better quality. The inner cable on the gemo is bare metal but the SEAT cable is coated and comes lubricated as well so should last a fair bit longer I recon

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  14. Toyotec

Quite frankly I do not find that is the case. 1.3 clutch cable fitted no problem no mods.

15. vwenterprise New Member

Ok, if you must use cable operated clutch, 1.3 cable is perfect fit without any mods to it. End retainer for inner cable is easily made from a right angle bit of steel. Front engine mount can be reused by modding with a drill and a welder, nothing big or complicated, just ensure all 3 bolts are secured to gearbox. Use a starter from corrado or MK3 16v....MK4 starters get noisy! On a MK2, corrado, Passat and MK3 shifters fit easier imo, reverse lights easier to connect, but porridge feel to them. MK4 /polo shifter fits with some cutting but need correct cable bracket and shifter tower to suit. Reverse switch becomes a problem, but get a tighter feel gearstick and shorter throw! Rest is standard swap over, ie flywheel and clutch etc!

16. vwenterprise New Member

And I type this after doing many over last 20 years! So not to discredit anyone else's information posted here, this is just my experiences!

17. rubjonny

aye like I say, some people have found the 1.3 cables are too short, but not all. I've driven a couple mk2 + seat actuator + unmodified 1.3 cable, standard bracket. no problem with clutch feel, but some complain its heavy and/or cable snaps. one solution to that was shortening the inner if its too tight. I suspect its down to slight variances with aftermarket cables? maybe they are doing something silly fitting the cables?

my preference is (was!) genuine SEAT toledo tdi cable, as it is (was!) cheap at only 22. Since the Toledo is a MK2 Jetta its designed specifically for this application and the quality is the best you can get. I've built several MK2 using this cable including my own so it definitely does (did!) work. however all this is now irrelevant as I've just this minute had a look on ETKA and the cables are now obsolete :lol:

18. Tristan

Best look for a 1.8t starter so?

19. Toyotec

Look in the gearbox casing.
    If there is a bronze bushing, you can use an 02A style starter motor.
    If not, you have to use a 1.8T Golf starter motor.

20. Tristan

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, it indeed has a bronze bushing.