8v KJet idle issues

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Dellboy, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Dellboy Paid Member Paid Member

Hello Everyone,

I am having some difficulty getting Mk2 Golf GTI 8V (1985 EV engine) to idle properly. It will start from cold with no trouble and then run / idle until it begins to get warm and then dies. I have been through a lot of the posts already and picked up loads of good advice. So far I have done the following:
    Replaced tank lift pump
    Replaced external fuel pump and filter
    Swapped out fuel distributer
    replaced injectors and plugs
    I noticed that the throttle valve switch wires have been previously joined ( repair I guess) and are now not connected to anything. Does anyone know if this could cause the idle issue and where the wires should run to.
    Thanks

2. David Hills New Member

Hi, I think you need to look into that valve, I recently bought a Rivage with the DX engine & it was running like a dog. So far I've done the following and they all made a difference :
    1) Checked all the vacuum pipes and virtually all of them were split or damaged, made a big difference.
    2 Cleaned the idle control valve out using electrical contact cleaner, loads of crap came out, made a difference.
    3)Changed the cambelt, was a tooth out, made a difference.
    4) Cleaned the inside of the rocker cover where the breather enters. There is a gauze there which was completely blocked. Must have made a difference.
    5) Checked the ignition timing with a light, will make a difference.
    6) Full service
    All of these made a progressive difference to the way the car ran, check the vacuum pipes are all going to the right places & the idle control valve must be working so you need to connect it properly. If it's a fuelling problem, check the fuel filler neck before anything to see if it has any holes. Water in the fuel is a problem with this injection system. Filler neck was an issue with the mk1, not sure about the mk2. Have you checked the mixture ? Good luck Dave

3. David Hills New Member

After reading it again, it's not overheating is it ?

4. David Hills New Member

Also, check the fuel distributor pipes are connected in the right order, perhaps the cold start injector is compensating, just a thought.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the throttle switch wires are only for the cold throttle enrichment system, it shouldn't affect idle. what it does is when you floor the throttle on a cold engine the 5th injector is triggered to give a bit of extra fuel.

if the wires are joined this means the system thinks the throttle is always open, but the vacuum valve will only close on a hard throttle application. that plus the 5th injector is only earthed when the engine is cold. I suppose if every part of the system was messed up...

have a look at the red/white and brown wires to the plugs on the warm up regulator and aux air valve, these should have 12v while the fuel pump is running

with all the things you have replaced its going to want the idle and co adjusted, on that note another thing to look at is the seal on the idle screw

6. Dellboy Paid Member Paid Member

Thank you both for your advice, I will give all that a try and see if it improves matters ????

7. David Hills New Member

Hi, let us know how you get on, Dave

8. Dellboy Paid Member Paid Member

Finally got to the bottom of it ????. Its taken a while!
    It was the CO2 adjustment, the screw inside the air meter had the head rounded off and wasnt gripping, had to find another air meter

9. David Hills New Member

Well done, when I altered my mixture it seemed like the hex tool wasn't gripping properly so need to keep an eye on that. Perhaps people are adjusting them with a screwdriver instead of the proper tool eh.