Suspension set up for mk2 running 1.8 20V

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Rmilne1990, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Rmilne1990 Forum Member

Hi all just wondering what options there are for a good suspension set up ie front shocks and springs and the rear as well.. approx running 250Bhp whats everybody using? Thanks

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Running '250bhp' does not have a lot to do with it to be fair.

Good morning.

Suspension is chosen based on how and where you drive the car, i.e fast road car, track car, race car.

So if "everybody" was to respond to your question, the answers will consist of many different brands for a wide range of reasons or no reason at all lol

3. Rmilne1990 Forum Member

Thanks toyotec for the reply. It would be fast road car its not going to be a daily driver mainly weeekend use, there are hundreds of different types of coil overs I was just looking for some recommendations and positive comments on the set ups you guys were using.

4. Stew1803 New Member

ive gone for kw v2 on mine, yet to test them am still building the car. but the build quality is fantastic.

5. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Toyotec uses BC racing on his. And from seeing it on track it is a very capable car in the corners, although a lot of thought, time and effort has gone into that car!

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

As per Facebook.
    The choice of suspension set ups used on Club GTI cars will have some engineering justification behind it, as some of us do push on on track with our road cars and need maximum control of tire patch to asphalt.

From experience, for a fast road car, you want a bit less roll into corners. So either an up rated spring kit with dampers to match.

Koni struts with Eibach is a pretty decent set up for a road car and as Alex said on Facebook H & R set up with maybe an ungraded ARB.

That is just a guideline if I were in your shoes.

Hope that helps.

7. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

My mk2 golf 16v has Koni shocks and springs approx inch lower than standard with uprated anti roll bars, and its not to stiff and handles well on the B roads, yet to try it on the track once ive fitted the ABF on itbs but I dont want to compromise the road handling tbh

8. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I've a fixed platform, 30mm approx drop on Bilstein B4s and Eibachs, I wish I'd gone for better dampers tbh. It still handles very well, but loses its way on bumps somewhat.
    I rebuilt a mk2 for a mate on Koni coilovers, was very good but a little on the firm side, but would be very nice on decent roads.
    A friend had HnR coilovers in his ABF mk2, on 15in wheels, he was very very impressed......... Until he changed them for Bilstein Coilovers. B12 iirc. More comfortable, yet better roadholding and handling.

I've driven a VR6 Corrado on the same Bilsteins, in the streaming rain, rubbish tyres and it was sublime.

9. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I've got Koni's with Eibach springs. Whilst it's nice, it is a tad bumpy and I'll be buying some expensive coilovers. Certainly worth the 70 I paid for them.