ABF LHD tubular manifold

Discussion in '16-valve' started by curg21, Jan 15, 2018.

1. curg21 Paid Member Paid Member

Hello everyone, I need to fit a new exhaust manifold on my ABF fitted in my Golf MK3 once it comes out for summer - surprise surprise its cracked

I spent the best part of my evening trawling the forums and wider web to find a definitive answer to no avail. Does anyone know if the European LHD tubular manifold (pn 037253031BK) fits onto the standard MK3 downpipe or will it foul the bulkhead and need modification? Im talking about this specifically https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/abgaskruemmer-e75595.html

I know there are two different types of the tubular, I assume Id be looking for the shorter of the two which is a closer match to original?

None of this is for performance, I like it standard but finding an original part is proving difficult and costly as people are cashing in on non-cracked ones now... I can't find a decent 4-2-1 for RHD cars so i'm at the point of either having one custom made or just getting the cast welded both of which Id rather avoid from cost and reliability perspectives.

Any help appreciated.

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

No it does not.

I have encouraged the use of tubular manifolds on 16v engines for performance purposes.

For UK Mk3 16v use, the manifold must be matched to it's downpipe, else it cannot work.

3. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Morning, have you tried mk3 selling pages on Facebook?

I picked one up for 20 posted to my front door :)

4. Toyotec

You can also use cast manifolds from any ADL, KR or 9A engine. I can assure you it does not have to be from an ABF engine.

5. curg21 Paid Member Paid Member

So if I import the LHD tubular with downpipe from the continent it should be a straight swap? I have no problem doing this just would rather avoid modifying anything to make it fit.

I have been scouring them for months but had had no luck sadly. Will keep checking.

6. Toyotec

^^Yes.
    In my post I also gave you other options for which engines, cast manifolds can be sourced.

ADL- Seat Ibiza, Toledo
    KR - Golf 2 16v, Corrado
    9A - Passat, Corrado.

7. curg21 Paid Member Paid Member

Yes I did see those but rather avoid the cast all together if I can. Plus the tubular can be had for relatively sensible money and if its an improvement and OEM (in keeping with the car) happy days. Cheers mate

8. Toyotec

The cast is stronger and the crack is usually on the surface.

Tubular pretty suited to the modifications I tend to do with ABF engines. I do not use the d/p in such cases.

9. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

I've got two (uncracked!) standard cast and one tubular manifold - as well as a new standard downpipe - here in Surrey.

10. curg21 Paid Member Paid Member

Sent you a message mate!