Golf mk1 cabriolet

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Mario_Marques, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Mario_Marques New Member

Hi, my name is Mrio i am portuguese, im 34, living in north ireland, enniskillen.
    I own a mk1 cabriolet, 1.8 2h, digi 2, i am looking for help to my g60 conversion since i cant get my mk1 wiring info and i am getting a corrado engine and loom, i want to know what i have to change or not.
    Thanks

2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Welcome theres plenty of vw Nutters in lreland
    Hope you got the help you need our wiring expert will appear Monday morning after 9

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

morning :lol:

start here, at the fusebox end G60 is pretty much same as ABF:
    http://clubgti.com/showthread.php?249714

not a great deal to it really, since you have a 2H digifant MK1 cab the ecu -> fusebox wiring is all there for you so you dont even have to split the engine loom at all. just remove the old ecu loom, drop the G60 loom in then tap the G60 fusebox feeds to the plug/wires in the MK1 scuttle job done.

Sometimes they have the 2 ECU feeds G1/7 and G1/10 that the ABF has, if so you can ignore it if you like the earlier G60 ecu doesnt even have this wire.

2h -> fusebox plug in scuttle:
    black/yellow - ecu relay
    red/yellow - fuel relay trigger
    green/red - starter cranking live
    red/white - lambda heater power

then there might be a red/black wire which is the injector power, or sometimes the injector power is tapped to the ecu relay black/yellow. you can wire it either way. If in doubt find the 2h -> fusebox plug in the scuttle and take a picture then we can help you with it :)

4. Mario_Marques New Member

Thanks, today i Will be removing the corrado g60 wiring loom.
    My setup Will be turbo not g lader(Maybe k24) and air to water ic, i dont want lot of power, i Will also use 0,75 fifth gear in my original gearbox

5. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Hi and welcome mario

Get some pics up :thumbup:

6. Mario_Marques New Member

Not Lucky, after removing the corrado g60 loom i find out its not 25pin ecu, But the Siemens one, i have to keep looking for other loom

7. rubjonny

TBH its not too hard to convert a digifant loom to G60 spec if you're desperate, since its a 2H cabby it has a lambda probe right?

8. Mario_Marques New Member

38 pin Siemens ecu donor car
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. rubjonny

is there any reason you dont want to use that ecu and loom?

10. Mario_Marques New Member

Yes, 25pin model is easy to install and i have schematics, 38pin i have no schematics and seems quite different, i want to change as little as possible in the car.
    I am now looking for another one if i cant get one i Will go for a stand alone like emerald or kms.
    I did get a nice power from my 1.8 n/a engine But i want to go turbo.

11. Mario_Marques New Member

Forget to answer this, yes, it has, sensors are the same, its like the mk2 gti 8v, it is ce1

12. rubjonny

I have a 38pin diagram its US spec DF1 but its probably the same?

but yeah you could convert your 2H loom with a bit of effort, the G60 has mostly the same setup except it has the CO pot/inlet temp instead of the AFM, 2 separate switches for idle and WOT rather than both on the same pins plus there is no ignition amp instead the ecu triggers the coil direct. Only thing you need is a double throttle switch setup for your throttle body, you will probably have a TPS on the setup you have currently

2H -> G60
    Remove ECU pin 5 for knock sensor and splice to ECU pin 7
    ECU pin 5 -> CO pot pin 1
    ECU pin 25 -> coil negative
    AFM pin 1 -> CO pot pin 2
    AFM pin 4 - CO pot pin 3
    Remove ECU pin 23 for ISV and splice to ECU pin 14

Depin/cut throttle switch plug off:
    ECU pin 11 red/blue wire to G60 throttle switch pin 1
    brown/white wire on old throttle switch to G60 throttle switch pin 2
    Add wire from ECU pin 15 to G60 throttle switch pin 3

Then all you need is a G60 ECU :)

13. Mario_Marques New Member

I give the 38pin loom back, now i Will look for the old 25pin loom and ecu, i have to start looking, money is not really a problem, i Just want to modify the car in a a way ithat its easy to put it back stock when i need to sell it back, want to change as little as possible.
    Its very hard to find info about g60 around here

14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I have all the EU G60 diagrams if you get stuck.

15. Mario_Marques New Member

Well, I just got back here to tell the end of this story, I have fitted and tuned the G60 engine, management and a turbocharger system with air to Water intercooler.
    The engine and tuning Alone Turned out really impressive, the car + the engine was a complete disaster, too much Over powered, Impossible to handle, I did not even try to make the engine smooth, maybe with the 100% original G60 would be good, but with my setup was way too much power, I end up selling the engine and the rest to a customer's MK2 golf.

Now i do understand why most tuning companies from the era never went to very high output values, it becomes a very bad driving experience.

Now going for a way more modest 2.0 8v with a little work on it.

This was my experience and I wanted to Share with you, driving experience is crap without a good compromisse, this is nothing new, but sometimes, people just forget about it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021