davkav's Mk2 Oak Green 8v

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by davkav, Feb 6, 2018.

1. davkav

davkav Paid Member Paid Member

I keep meaning to start a thread on here to track progress and for others to give me pointers on do's and don'ts, although there is already a wealth of information on the site.

How it sits now as of 7th September 2020:
    [​IMG]

I'm just going to copy and paste from the Irish forum that I am on, so the text might not make complete sense timewise but going forward I'll make sure I post on both sites.

I got married to my partner of 10 years in June 2017. She had always said that she would love to buy me a mk2 Golf Gti as a wedding present and some how she managed (with the help of a good friend of mine) to source an 8v Oak Green 3 door.

These were taken the day after the wedding, the engine bay needs a good clean up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It needs work mechanically and will need a bit of rust repair here and there but nothing that cannot be fixed.

The previous owner had the seats re-trimmed in cream leather and fitted these horrible wheels so they will have to go.

At the moment two things are top of my list to sort; the gear linkage left a lot to be desired as most gears were hard to find and the engine is running poorly.

I purchased a 020 gear linkage repair kit from this seller on ebay and got stuck into fitting it last night.
    [​IMG]

This is what was removed, you can see tired bushes everywhere and the relay bush completely missing from the relay shaft (the yellow ball in the next photo)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didnt get any pictures of the new parts fitted but I've to grease it all up this evening so will take a picture then. I am picking up new HT leads, blue top temp sensor, dizzy cap and rotor this evening so will fit them too and hopefully the engine will run better. Ill then get to checking the CO etc and make sure it is running right.

After that Ill focus on replacing parts and tidying up general stuff. I've a list sent off to a Retro Spares in Longford who is going to check through his stockpile for me.
    Namely a replacement interior, BBS wheels, and 8v airbox and other bits.

My to do list as it stands:
    Get engine running
    Fix power steering rack leak
    Replace Interior with rainbow cloth type
    Fit quad headlights and Gti grill
    Replace wheels
    Fit standard exhaust (Scorpion CAT back fitted at the moment)
    Fix Speedometer
    Tidy engine bay (loom and pipework)
    Fit electric window regulators as there are manual fitted at the moment for some reason
    Fix sunroof mechanism
    Replace Springs and shocks and top mounts
    Replace all bushings.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  2. davkav

Went at a few other things yesterday (21st July). The previous owner had a sound system fitted at some stage. Took it upon himself to remove the speaker wires from the doors and fit a higher gauge wire.

I also removed an alarm that was fitted as it wasn't working and was poorly installed.

[​IMG]

This was the pile of junk that I removed from the engine bay, behind the radio and the boot
    [​IMG]

Temporary window regulator fitted
    [​IMG]

Anyone for a scorpion dtm exhaust?
    [​IMG]

3. davkav

My wife (sounds strange still..) and the kids are away this week and next so I've been hard at the car since they left.

First thing up was to figure out why my speedometer wasn't working. It was a quick fix, the previous owner hadn't got the cable plugged in :?
    [​IMG]

I took a trip up to retro spares as well during the week and picked up a few bits and bobs.

Replaced the straps on the petrol tank as they were badly corroded
    Old:
    [​IMG]
    Newish
    [​IMG]

Removed the k&n cone filter and fit a standard airbox and new filter. If anyone wants this kit let me know. Comes with bracket to hold AFM in place too.
    [​IMG]

Fixed the level sensor on the pump. As you can see it looks like the car was sitting up for a while as the pump is very badly corroded.
    [​IMG]

Got rid of the single wiper conversion. The wiper arms Retro Spares gave me had a bit of surface rust, so I cleaned them up, primed and painted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tidied up some of the engine loom, although I'm picking a replacement one during the week. The one currently fitted has been out of the car at some stage and domestic insulating tape is all over it....
    [​IMG]

Fit new bulbs in the cluster and fixed the dimmer switch
    [​IMG]

Fit a replacement splitter as mine was all broken up
    [​IMG]

A did a few other bits as well, fit handbrake handle and gaitor.
    Fit a new ash tray.
    Got new hard brake lines fitted from the rear pressure regulator in the rear.
    Fixed the driver's door interior handle.
    Realigned sunroof
    Realigned bonnet and removed gas struts
    For replacement PCV and grommet
    Fit replacement wing mirror control boots and knobs
    Fixed power steering high pressure line (thanks Tristan)
    Fixed rear exhaust leak
    Rewired central looking controller in driver's door. The wires had been modified when the alarm was fitted.
    Fixed interior light door switch drivers side
    Retumbled passenger door and boot lock barrels to key
    Fit battery clamp
    Picked up two front door green tint glass from Retro Spares as mine are clear and the rear windows are tinted. I'll fit them when I pick up two electric regulators

That's it for now. There's probably more information there than needed but sure it's a good way for me to document progress.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Vinnie and 1990 like this.
  4. davkav

Indicating right in the golf was intermittent in that you would have to wiggle the stalk around a bit to get it to work. So I stripped it down this evening to see what's what.

[​IMG]

On inspection the contacts were gummed up and there was a bit of dust in there.
    [​IMG]

Cleaned and ready for reassembly.
    [​IMG]

All cleaned up, greased and reassembled
    [​IMG]

Tested working on the car.

5. davkav

More updates, this will settle down next week when herself and the kids are back, I swear. :)

The shock assembly was pretty easy to take out. Stripped down and fit new MK3 top mounts, MK3 spring perches, new bearing and top cap.

Seized bolts are no match for the aul ingersoll rand
    [​IMG]

I also fit new S3 bushes to the wishbones and new droplinks.
    Pretty tired looking
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

New bush being pulled in.
    [​IMG]

I went for a quick spin there, the top mount on the driver side was completely torn so as you can imagine the difference is night and day. These aul mk2's are pretty well balanced on the corners. I'd say they are amazing with proper shock and spring setup.

6. davkav

A few more bits tidied up over the weekend.

Got the standard Gti grill fitted. I much prefer this look to the single light type. If anyone is interested in the single light grill and these clear headlights PM me.
    I have one Hella headlight waiting to be fitted, I just need one more.
    [​IMG]

New electric window regs fitted along with factory green tint glass. I don't know why clear was fitted by the previous owner.
    Again I have clear driver and passenger windows for sale along with a driver side manual window regulator. PM if interested.
    [​IMG]

You know the family is away when there is a tub of swarfega beside the kitchen sink and a load of parts lying around the house :lol:
    [​IMG]

I also started fitting the replacement engine loom that Retro Spares gave me. Here it is all stripped out. The biggest PITA was the grommets where the loom enters the cabin for the fuse and relay box. I had to unbolt the master cylinder and brake booster to make room for my hands. You can see it pulled out in the picture...
    [​IMG]

Most of the loom was intact, the headlight harness had been butchered, presumably for aftermarket lights or for relay wiring on the previous car and the connector plug for the ICV was missing. Easy fixes.
    [​IMG]

Anyway I got the ole soldering Iron out and swapped my good headlight harness over to the replacement loom.
    [​IMG]

Double checked all wiring and surprisingly I got it all right first time, it fired on the first try and all lights working as they should. Dead happy with it now.

Other bits that got sorted were:
    New accelerator cable fitted
    New Clutch cable fitted
    Replacement Lower Driver side dash
    Replacement Fuel Supply Line
    Fitted Intake manifold support bracket
    Fitted rubber shoes and straps to airbox

I've to change the water pump this evening, flush the system and fill with G40 coolant. There is blue in there at the moment...

That will be it for now I think, unless a set of BBS RA's come up cheap and an excellent condition Rainbow Interior.

Vinnie, 1990, Coakers and 1 other person like this.
  7. davkav

So waterpump removed last night
    [​IMG]

And pipe work and pulley being swapped over
    [​IMG]

Bled the system and got the engine up to temperature but the temperature gauge was still reading at 3/4. I refitted the old sender and it reads at 1/4. So I checked the resistance of the blue temp sensor for the ECU and that was reading 80-90*C, so I reckon the old sensor is toast and the new sensor is faulty to begin with. Serves me right picking up an Intermotor one.....

I took a quick snap of the new loom fitted, it still needs a bit of tidying; cable ties need to be replaced as they had all been cut even though they are the reusable type. I'd love to pull the engine and subframe tidy it all up properly, maybe thats a job for the winter or next year.
    [​IMG]

I also had a look at the timing, luckily a friend was on hand to help me keep the engine above 2000 rpm to test. For the life of us we could not find the timing mark on the flywheel when checking for timing. We killed the engine and turned the engine over by hand from the crank pulley but when we found the mark it was way out of alignment with the cam and crank marks?? I thought the flywheel could only be fitted one way?

Anyway,we used the timing marks on the crank pulley and casing to set the timing then. Although I had nothing to compare how the engine was pulling too, Tristan went for a spin recently and although he said it sounded healthy and pulled well, it was still flat in spots. The timing was set at 4* BTDC, which I was happy about. It meant it was an easy fix for a bit more power. Adjusted the timing to 6* BTDC and took her for a spin. Wow! It pulls like a train now.
    I just need to sort the exhaust leak at the manifold and it will sound as good as it moves.

Vinnie likes this.
  8. davkav

So I took a spin down to Halfords to pick up some H4 bulbs. These Bosch ones are advertised as 18 but 7.50 with the trade card.

[​IMG]

When I was changing the bulb though I noticed the front cross member was all wet.....
    At first I thought it was the water pump but on closer inspection it turns out the radiator is weeping from where the plastic end tanks mate to the aluminium core. A crappy picture but you can see where it has been weeping for a while. Looks like I need a new rad and that the new temperature sensor is in fact working correctly. The car must be climbing in temperature due to the loss in system pressure. Anyway on the hunt for a rad I go. :(
    [​IMG]

Supplied and fitted in 1991 I reckon....
    [​IMG]

Definitely seen its day
    [​IMG]

Cross member could do with a clean up too, I'll do that when fitting new bushes ;)
    [​IMG]

New NRF radiator
    [​IMG]

Somebody... also pointed out that my fan was orientated incorrectly, so rotated so the
    plug is at 12 o'clock.
    [​IMG]

All fitted rocking and rolling
    [​IMG]

Temperature gauge is still dicky though :mad:

Vinnie likes this.
  9. davkav

Nothing mad to report, well except that I discovered there is a 1.6 diesel gearbox fitted to the car.....
    So another item to add to the list of things that need to be replaced for standard items.
    [​IMG]

A friend was nice enough to lend me a set of 14" rims so that I could sell on the 17" ones that were on the car. It looks so much better with the smaller wheels on it. I have 15" RA's bought, I just need to collect them and give them a quick DIY refurb.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately I havent had a chance to test out the comfort of the smaller wheels and bigger tyres as my fuel pump seized after I ran out of fuel last week. I finally got to removing the supply pump and reservoir last night. It sounded like a box of smarties when removed, there was so much debris inside the reservoir.
    [​IMG]
    When I removed the pump from it this is what I found :shock:
    [​IMG]

I managed to clean out the pump and give it -12v and it came free, so a nice quick fix. Ill strip the rusty bracket off the reservoir tonight, clean it up and give it a fresh lick of paint before refitting.

10. davkav

So a lot has happened since my last post, I just haven't had time to post updates here on the forum.

I got the pump and reservoir cleaned out and it has been good ever since.

I then start focusing on the exhaust leak I had.
    [​IMG]

Intake manifold out
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a full system to fit so out came the standard manifold and a stainless one was installed with heat wrap for good measure. The manifold is from a different brand than the rest of the system I have so I will have to get a small piece made up to join the manifold to the front silencer.

Old hardware removed, studs came out with the nuts as usual
    [​IMG]

New nuts and gaskets
    [​IMG]

Replacement injector harness with cover, mine was cracked and broken in places so Tristan came to the rescue here
    [​IMG]

Getting wrapped
    [​IMG]

And fitted
    [​IMG]

All back together
    [​IMG]

I've still to fit the rest of the system and still have to remove the scorpion exhaust system that is currently fitted.

The cream leather interior sold soon after this so I took the oportunity to remove the carpets to give them a good clean and tidy up the wiring behind the dash. Things escalated from there and the whole dash came out to allow me to tidy the wiring as best I can and to replace the heater core.

Start of carpet removal
    [​IMG]

Crude that fell down from behind the dash
    [​IMG]

Most of the underlay was broken and falling apart so out it came
    [​IMG]

Carpet removed
    [​IMG]

The dash was removed then and this is the mess that the PO has left behind
    [​IMG]

Out with the interior looms and tidied them up
    [​IMG]

Removed the blower motor and heater matrix
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its all cleaned up now. I just have to pick up some sticky fabric pads to place on the flaps and then put it all back together.

So in the middle of all of this and with it getting darker earlier I wanted somewhere to store the aul mk2 and be able to work on it in the dry. What started out as simply sticking up a lean to with some clear PVC sheets soon became a project all on its own....

This was where I was working on the car before the 'lean to' started
    [​IMG]

Wall plates up and test rafter
    [​IMG]

Rafters and Purlins half way done
    [​IMG]

Made up new doors and took down the old rotten side gates
    [​IMG]

You can see in this photo also, I am one sheet short. Additional sheet got delivered yesterday so I should have it all buttoned up tight by the end of this week
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peeka Boo
    [​IMG]

Space is still a bit tight but at least its dry and I can stick a blower heater in there.
    [​IMG]

Vinnie, 1990, Coakers and 1 other person like this.
  11. davkav

Progress has been slow and steady on this. I am still working away at removing the tar from the floor pan inside the car.

I found most of it came up by just scraping away with a steel ruler or kitchen knife.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other bits needed a bit of persuasion with the blow torch.
    [​IMG]

TarX was also very handy for cleaning up the bits of tar left over.

This is how I left it last night, might try and do the passenger side tonight.
    [​IMG]

Alot of the rust in the above pictures was just surface rust and came off easily with a rub of sand paper. I did however find two issues that I need a bit of help with. This is all new to me so if anyone has any pointers on what better way to do things or how to fix the two issues below, please let me know.

On both sides of the car, this section of the floor pan seems to have been pushed up. I reckon it was an incorrectly placed arm for a two post lift that did it. The two section are not were the mounting bosses are from the assembly line. Do I try and reshape it myself, get a pro to do it or does the piece need to be cut out?
    You can see the first 45* line from the top has a raised piece. This is more or less the same on the passenger side also.
    [​IMG]

The second issue I have found is a small hole in the beam that runs from front to back. Will I just weld it up and sand down?
    [​IMG]

In other news I sent off my BBS RA's to be refurbished in Wheel Wizards over Christmas.
    [​IMG]

There was a good bit of work involved as they were all more or less badly chipped.
    I couldn't be happier with the finish.
    [​IMG]

12. davkav

Got a bit more done on the green machine. Sanded and cleaned the passenger side floor pan, so its ready for sealing now.
    [​IMG]

I just have to seal up this hole on the driver side.
    [​IMG]

I drilled it out to 8mm. This evening I'm going to make up a small metal patch and ill glue it in place with panel sealer.
    [​IMG]

I cleared out the rest of the car so that I could check for rust and have it ready for cleaning this evening. Thankfully there is no more rust to be found bar a small bit on the surface under the passenger side tail light.
    [​IMG]

13. davkav

Got the first coat of POR15 applied last night. It is awesome stuff, I brushed it on but you would never know. It must have some self levelling compound mixed in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I forgot to remove the handbrake assembly and wipe down but ill do it tonight now that the rest has dried.
    [​IMG]

This was the floor this morning. Pretty happy with it. For a small tin it has some serious coverage! Ill paint on the second coat this evening, let it dry and cure for a few days and then I can start sticking down some new sound deadening. I also went ahead and ordered the Newton Commercial Carpet underlay kit. To go to this much effort and not do it right would be wrong. I can still use the foam underlay I bought to pad out behind the dash and under the rear bench.
    [​IMG]

During my cleanup before painting, I discovered this in the spare wheel well :( Ill have to get a cut from another car and have it welded in. Its not the end of the world as at least I can still get the car back together and drive somewhere to be fixed.
    [​IMG]

Got a bit more done in the last couple of evenings, painted on the second coat of POR15 on Saturday night and let dry/cure until mid week.

Stuck down some new sound deadening, maybe I went a bit overboard with it but every little helps sure.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I added some sound deadening to the firewall as well before sticking some of the domestic carpet underlay to it.
    [​IMG]

Heater box back in with new heater matrix and all flaps relined. I had to replace the heater control cables as well as the previous owner had stretched one of the cables by pulling the flap against all of the crude that had gathered at the base of them. You can see the build up in a previous post. RetroSpares came to the rescue again with some spare parts for me.
    [​IMG]

And then got the dash back fitted last night. The majority of time taken was making sure there were no snags in wires and then trying to keep the looms as tidy as possible behind the fuse box, its still a bloody mess!
    [​IMG]

Next on the list is to steam clean the inside of the doors and rear quarters. Stick some new sound deadening in and then wax oil the lot. Once that is done and the Newton underlay kit arrives I can finally start putting the carpet and seats in.

1990, Coakers and Toyotec like this.
  14. davkav

Started into wax oiling the doors and quarters last night. I ran out of waxoil so decided to get the driver door all buttoned up. It was a nice milestone to hit as these door cards are replacing the re-trimmed leather ones that were there.

Wax oil applied
    [​IMG]

New membrane fitted with new reusable adhesive, I picked up two rolls from Amazon here
    [​IMG]

And the door card fitted with all the bits and bobs. I need to give it a wipe down and hoover but ill leave that until I have the rest of the interior fitted.
    [​IMG]

I picked up 3 more cans of wax oil this morning so I should get the other door card back on the passenger side and the cards of the quarters.

Steffen and Coakers like this.
  15. rainbird New Member

Great write up, and a cracking little project too. That car is clearly in for some love if this is anything to go by :)

16. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Looking great so far..

All plans to make it absolutely standard? No OEM+ features?

17. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Dave, be mindful of the thickness of the underlay, it might make the carpet sit a bit out of kilter. If you can't get the boot sorted, I'll weld in a repair for you.

Did you ever set the camber and toe, after?

18. Neil_Ireland Forum Member

I found that the newton kit leaves the underlay much thicker, so much so that my drivers seat doesn't slide easily anymore.
    It's on my list to fix when I'm fitting the new interior.

Car is coming on nicely by the way, you'll have to get it out for a spin during the summer.

19. davkav

Plan is to stick with the 8v. I'll upgrade the brakes and suspension but I won't to keep it as close to factory as possible.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  20. davkav

Nah sure I'm waiting for you to offer ;) I reckon I've put maybe 100 miles on the car since I replaced the front suspension parts. I'll get it sorted as soon as it's on the road.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018