davkav's Mk2 Oak Green 8v

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by davkav, Feb 6, 2018.

1. davkav

davkav Paid Member Paid Member

Jeepers don't say that. With the new sound deadening I'm probably adding even more depth to it all. I'll play aorund with the kit and see what works best.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  2. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Nice write up and good to see some fresh cars, look forward to more :thumbup:

3. davkav

So got the passenger side membrane stuck on and cards fitted. Its all starting to come together now, the end is in sight for the interior!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the state of the carpet before I got stuck into cleaning it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rented a carpet cleaner on Friday and got to scrubbing
    [​IMG]

Cleaned the rear bench too whilst I was at it
    [​IMG]

And then got it all back together, don't mind the wood shavings, that was me walking it back into the carpet from the garage :roll:
    [​IMG]

Newton Commercial still haven't started into my carpet underlay kit so I cut some of the foam underlay I had to size and placed it underneath for now. Its easy enough to take the carpet back out so no loss really.

I've to fill the heater matrix with water now and re-plumb it, swap out the Scorpo exhaust for the Milltek and then get a small piece made up to join it to the 4 branch. A few smaller items to tidy up and then we are rockin' and rollin'.

Oh and front seats, I've to pick them up, they'll probably come in handy!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
    Vinnie and erreesse like this.
  4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Cracking build!

Enjoyed your post so far!

5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Dave, I'll bring the front seats where I'm collecting the stuff from Stefan,. Have you any front seats now?

6. davkav

Thanks man!

No rush I have this to keep me going sure :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

Ah it won't be this week or next week before its ready to drive, by the time I get the piece made up for the exhaust etc.

erreesse likes this.
  7. Tristan

How long does it need to be? If you get me dimensions I could sort it out.

davkav likes this.
  8. davkav

That would be mighty, I'm fitting the exhaust tonight so will measure and see :thumbup:

9. davkav

Myself and a friend got stuck into fitting the Milltek the other day. I have to say it looks WAY better than the abomination that was fitted to it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On Monday the carpet under felt kit arrived so I got stuck into fitting that that evening and Tuesday.
    At first I was worried that there were too many pieces to the kit and it wouldn't all fit snuggly but once I got stuck into it and laid it all out it all came together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The centre console took a bit of persuading to get in under the dash with the extra thickness of underlay but it went in.
    [​IMG]

Got some new clips from ebay too to secure the plastic sill protectors in place but they are a smaller diameter so Ill have to get some second hand ones from RetroSpares next week.
    [​IMG]

I've to tighten the carpet in some sections still but for now it looks good, I'm pretty happy with it.

Also picked up some new BBS centre caps as well for the RA's, I just need to get the tyres fitted and they are good to go.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully Ill pick up the seats soon and get a piece made up for the exhaust to join the milltek to the manifold and ill finally be able to go for a spin.

erreesse, Coakers and Savagesam like this.
  10. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nice :)

Underlay is a job I've been meaning to do on mine for a long time. Prices seem to vary so much though.

11. davkav

I've been pushing hard for the past few weeks to try and get the mk2 roadworthy so that I can bring it to the Connemara trip. I'm happy to report that there is light at the end of the tunnel, I've to get a small patch welded up in the spare wheel well and change the two outer CV boots and it should be good to go. NCT is on Sunday so fingers crossed it passes.

I picked up front seats a few weeks back from Tristan but hadn't had a chance to fit them until last Friday.
    [​IMG]

Fitting required a bit of persuasion as the Newton Commercial kit was a bit too thick around the seat runners but I got them in and I am super happy with them. I always loved the rainbow interior and had always said that if I ever got a mk2 that would be the interior of choice.
    [​IMG]

Got my BBS RA's fitted on Friday and prepped the car for towing to Souhans in trim so that they could make up a small half metre piece of exhaust to join my front box to the manifold.
    [​IMG]

This is the small section Souhans had to make up. They did a great job.
    [​IMG]

And sneaky pic of the Milltek exhaust tips.
    [​IMG]

Apologies for the rough photos, ill get some better ones up soon and a clip of the exhaust note.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    erreesse likes this.
  12. davkav

Getting to drive it feels great after having it off the road for so long and putting so much work into it.
    [​IMG]

One of the CV boots was torn so I decided to strip it down and replace the grease and boots on both side of the passenger shaft.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The outer CV joint was a bit worse for wear so I ordered new joints and rebuilt the shaft. The driver side boots are intact but I think after seeing this one ill rebuild it too.
    [​IMG]

I brought it back to Souhans again to get the small rust patch/hole in the spare wheel well welded up. I've primed it for now but ill come back to it in the summer and clean it up properly.
    [​IMG]

So soon after getting the spare wheel well welded up, I discovered that the stainless manifold had cracked at one of the welds. So had to get that welded.
    [​IMG]

I reckon the manifold cracking was down to excess play in the engine and gearbox mounts. So not wanting it to crack on an up coming trip last weekend I got stuck into changing the 3 mounts. Space is tight and there is a bit of disassembly of other parts to get at the mounts but it is doable.
    The front mount has had some silicone injected into it at some point, in an effort to stiffen it up but sure the rubber mount inside is all cracked and worn so it was a lost cause.
    [​IMG]

All three mounts were factory items so although not torn I would say they were pretty tired.
    [​IMG]

As I left her at 1am that night.
    [​IMG]

Steffen, 1990 and erreesse like this.
  13. Tristan

The guys working on it before you, really were Good and Kind.

Ie, good for nothing, and kind of useless.

14. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Nice thoughtful rolling resto. Good to see a former neglected mk2 getting the attention it deserves.

15. davkav

It's been a while since I've updated this but much has happened.

I felt the car didn't feel very tight so I decided to order up new mounts for the engine and gearbox, new track rod ends and wishbone ball joints. I had 16v hub carriers and G60 calipers sitting there waiting to be fitted so ordered new discs, pads, hubs and wheel bearings whilst I was at it.
    [​IMG]

I set aside a weekend to fit the above but before I could fit the G60 calipers I wanted to rebuild them with new seals and pistons. Ordered a rebuild kit from Biggred and set about stripping and rebuilding the calipers.

[​IMG]

Gave em a lick of paint and mocked the whole lot up to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

New hubs and wheel bearings pressed in
    [​IMG]

And got to fitting them last weekend, I always stripped down the power steering/waterpump belt tensioner as it was seized and not maintaining tension (another issue identified on TBC, thanks Ted for sorting it out on the fly)
    [​IMG]

Calipers fitted and all buttoned up
    [​IMG]

I forgot to take photos of the rear but I also fitted mk4 calipers that I had sitting in the shed waiting to be fitted.

And in other news, WAY more important then fitting shiny new brakes; I finally got a parcel shelf for it. [:D]
    [​IMG]

So after fitting all of the above, the stainless 4 branch manifold decided to crack again. So Niall Clarke is sending down a standard manifold and down pipe that I am going to fit in place of it. The stainless manifold doesn't have a flexi piece in it and although it would be easy enough to weld one in, I want to try a standard manifold in an attempt to quieten down the cabin drone from the exhaust.

Thats it for now, well apart from the new suspension kit I have ready to fit. It was an early birthday present (July) so I am holding off as long as possible before I give in and fit it. :lol:

erreesse likes this.
  16. davkav

Fixed a few more things on the car fuel tank lift pump, regulator on the alternator, diesel gear on the speedo drive so the speed was being reported correctly. Fitted a NOS steering wheel as mine was all swollen and twisting on the top half.
    [​IMG]

I had to remove my headliner as it was starting to sag badly, when I was dropping it down from the roof it collapsed completely. It's probably salvageable but I think I better long term solution will be to retrim a non Gti headliner and fit that. So I'm on the hunt for one, must be sunroof type too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  17. davkav

Booked into the trackdays.ie rolling Road as I wanted to get a read on the engine before I do anything to it over the winter. I was pleasantly surprised by the result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  18. davkav

So plenty has happened over the past few months, I had bought this 020 gearbox early last year from Tristan but never got around to fitting it.

[​IMG]

So March gone I decided to get stuck into it.

Front end off and gearbox out. I know the gearbox can be taken out without the front end taken off but it was straight forward enough and I had a few other jobs that needed taken care of also. Besides, I didn't fancy wrestling the gearbox on my back if I didn't have to. Gearbox was flushed and new oil added before fitting also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tristan also had a lightened flywheel from Martin at Gas 'n' Gears going so I bought that from him as well. Alot of metal has been taken off this flywheel.
    [​IMG]

020 gearbox and flywheel fitted
    [​IMG]

I have no plans to change out the gearbox for a cableshift type, I'd like to keep the car as standard as possible with only a few select mods. So with that in mind I upgraded the shift linkage with a full stainless set from Martin at Gas 'n' Gears. Shifting is super crisp now and makes the car even more fun to drive, no more slop! The only thing the change now is the ball at the base of the gear stick. There isn't much play in so it's not top of my list right now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next on the list was to change out the leaky water pump and replace the supply and return water flanges on the block.
    Water pump removed and the mating face cleaned up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the front plastic flange was removed, and mating face cleaned up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the flange at the side of the head
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Leaky water pump was swapped out for a new one
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A new timing belt kit was then fitted and the front end was put back on
    [​IMG]

The nuts on the bumper support brackets were badly corroded. When I was removing the front bumper I had to cut one of the bars off so that I could get access to the retaining nut. So new bumper support brackets were fitted and new plastic guides for the side supports fitted also.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And all back together. Brought it outside, ran it up to temp, checked the timing belt tension, adjusted the timing and it's flying again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vinnie, 1990 and erreesse like this.
  19. Tristan

Do you want me to drive it for you again, show how it's supposed to be driven? Lol.

Looking good for our trip to the Ring Dave.

20. davkav

Eh no thanks, took my long enough to clean the passenger seat after...