mk3 AGu 1.8t 20v Conversion

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by dalgs971, Feb 12, 2018.

1. dalgs971 New Member

Hello Everyone

I am sure this has been asked before but I cant find a thread that matches my needs [:s]

I have purchased a mk4 GTI with a AGU engine in and I am wanting to put it in my mk3 cabrio 1.8 SPI.

I know the loom will need modifying but apart from that do I need anything else or will the mk4 bits bolt pretty much straight on IE hubs, Gearbox etc?

IF there is a thread that is identical please point me in the direction :thumbup:

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

If its got a 5 speed gearbox then use that, if 6 speed its easier to sell that on and buy a 5 speed box as otherwise you need to move the box mount bracket on subframe and get custom shafts sorted. The speed sensor will at least work on your clocks though so 1 less hassle than the mk1/2 boys have to deal with.

you can keep all the mk3 running gear, just have to switch to 100mm flanges on the 5 speed MK4 02J box as most of them are 108mm

so you'll need:
    1. MK3 ABF/TDI front & rear engine mount brackets
    2. Any 02a gearbox bracket so as above, plus G60, corrado, passat 4 and 6 cylinder engines
    3. MK3 hydro clutch master + slave cylinder and pipe (fits straight on your pedal box, mk4 is clippy plug on slave usually so mk3 pipe no fit but double check)
    4. Check if you have a nipple on your brake fluid reservoir for clutch, if not change that too or fit a separate pot for it
    5. Exhaust system, style dynamics/trackslag/william skelton
    6. MK3 GTI/16v/VR6 fuel pump at least, depending on desired power levels. may as well put a new fuel filter on too
    7. As above probably need 100mm bolt in flanges for your 20v gearbox. can be found on late 02a box, plus poverty spec mk4 with 02j such as low end diesel

thats it off the top of my head. easy-ish job on a mk3, all the ecu feeds are there pretty much, rev counter signal will work mk3 clocks, hydro clutch piece of wee to fit etc

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

oh and see how it fits up to your brake master, if its too close then look at the SEAT Ibiza 20v or ford focus stubby type for more room. Needs a mod to fit either like this:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?274109

or you can drill down the master cylinder hole, or fit a spacer (william does those too) just watch it with the drilling as I know of someone who got a pre-modded one off ebay which leaked fluid into his servo as the guy had gone a bit too far :lol:

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

By the way dalgs471. Welcome to Club GTI.