getting my 20vt mk2 through its mot

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Farmerchris, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Farmerchris

Farmerchris Paid Member Paid Member

I bought my mk2 20vt conversion last year with 12 months MOT. I'm pretty sure the previous owner must have had a friend in the trade to get it a mot certificate. I have fixed everything I have found dodgey so far but am unsure how I'll get on with two things.
    First the exhaust has no catalytic converter. I'm not sure if a 1991 GTi 8v came with one any ways? I assume the more modern engine will give cleaner emmisions than the original engine?

Second the jacking point has collapsed on the nearside front. It isn't rotten under there I think it's been more like a little bottle jack not been used properly. I do intend on having it replaced/ repaired but the MOT is looking like itll be due before I'm ready to sort it. I assume it's down to the severity of the damage but any thoughts on this would be great.

Cheers Chris.

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The MOT will be based on the original car, no cat out of the factory. Mine flew through emissions!

Rust, i'm not sure on the specs of what you can and can't have, you can google it :)

Although, mine had two drain holes rusted through on the rear foot wells, and it failed on them.

Farmerchris likes this.
  3. Farmerchris

Thanks savage Sam. I haven't found any terrible rust yet thankfully just mechanicals which i don't mind tackling.

4. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

If its the actual jacking point maybe remove it as if its not there it cant fail ;)

Where are you located

5. Farmerchris

I'm in a town called millom (west Cumbria).

A colleague of mine suggest just taking it to the MOT garage and showing them the jacking point beforehand. Then I'll have a sure answer arleast.

Thanks for the help

6. LA9V Paid Member Paid Member

Ask your garage to do a pre mot then you will know what's required ,saves you having a fail on your history

7. Desertstorm

Desertstorm Paid Member Paid Member

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...lasses-3-4-5-and-7-from-20-may-2018-draft.pdf

I can't see anything in section 6 it would fail on.
    They usually get you on 5.3.6 which is related to rust on the body within 30cm of a suspension mounting point . If it's more than 30cm from any mounting point I don't think you will have an issue. If you take it to some kind of quick fit place they will probably tell you it needs new discs and pads though.

8. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Could you post a pic of the issue