Hot start slow crank

Discussion in '16-valve' started by j16v, Feb 24, 2018.

1. j16v New Member

When starting when hot it often feels like the battery is going flat, with a very slow crank but not always.
    I replaced the starter about 3 years ago and have only done a few hundred miles since, I replaced and cleaned the earth cable from a mk3 golf with extra earth cable to the starter motor bolt, fitted a heavy duty battery, replaced the starter spigot, and have retarded the timing, nothing seems to solve the problem.
    I have had the car for about 15 years and it alway had a slow starter like it had high compression but would always start, but is worst with new starter.
    When engine is cold it starts very easy.
    I'm thinking that it is the starter.
    Has any one had a similar problem.

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

As a 'leccy' type person first thing I would do is measure volts round the loop. The battery terminal volts during crank should give you one key measurement, a comparison between a crank with a jump lead providing an extra earth etc etc
    To measure is to take fault finding to the next level..
    Jon

3. j16v New Member

I did do a volt test a while back but can not remember results, I think all was good but battery would drain quite quick even though fully charged.

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Quick and dirty test. Wait till it gets dark. Get your 10/13mm spanner. Remove either the +ve or -ve battery connection. touch it back onto the post. Anything more than 0.020A will
    give you a spark. Doors shut. That's a draw on the battery you need to find. First check the courtesy lights, then that all singing/dancing stereo.
    Jon
    Not a conclusive test, as modern cars tend to have their ECU's powered after 'shutdown' for a minute or three, but its a 'starter for ten'.

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Is the engine a 2.0 litre?

Cured my hot start issues back in the day with a diesel starter.

MUSHY 16V likes this.
  6. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aye a lot of people do that though the 16v one should be up to the job
    Probably just weak with age or a bad earth had that with my first 8v mk2 when hot starting it would be slow for a second as if the battery was flat then suddenly kick in

7. j16v New Member

Its a 1800, and I was thinking a better starter, I was wondering if I had the right starter in it, the code on the starter is 1112038.
    And MUSHY that exactly what mine has always done, but has been worst with new starter. All the earths are really good an have put an extra one strait to the starter bolt.
    It is like the starter gets jammed some times .