New race car: Mk3 Audi TTS

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by RobT, Feb 25, 2018.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

After parting with Radical SR8 after three eventful years, wanted to return to the VAG stable and get something that was a bit easier to run and not needing a trailer.

Numerous cars considered along with Leon Sub8 after excellent performance by Luke at Curby. Clearly the newer platforms have lots of potential.

Finally settled on a Mk3 Audi TTS as it is a wonderful place to sit and has loads of potential, with plenty bits available being that its almost a MK7 Golf R (also MQB platform).

Found one right spec and price. Deal done. Glacier white with rear tints and tech pack for the awesome sat nav and audi connect system.

image.jpg

Car has the 310hp EA888 2L turbo lump and have gone for the 6 speed DSG gearbox. Also has mag ride suspension, full ali wishbones, hubs and subframe (same as TTRS), monoblock 4pot front calipers (ATE) with 338x30 disks, and 19x9" wheels as stock. 4wd.

Its a cracking piece of kit.

So are going to develop this for Road Modified Class over 2L in sprinting.

Not much to report so far other than weighing the thing and checking geometry. 1416kg with half a tank of fuel, 60.2% front, 50.2% wedge so very even left-to-right. Front camber -1.3, straight ahead toe. Rear camber -1.6 and 1.5mm toe in per side. All stock settings.

Can run MSA List 1a or 1b tyres so choice probably boils down to Toyo R888, R888r, Yoko AD08r, Mich PSS or PS Cup2, or the new Extreme VR2 tyre that has just come onto the list and is reckoned to be quite good. Have bought some to investigate.

Not allowed spherical bearings in suspension so that limits things a bit there. Brakes are free. Engine mods are free. Lots to be optimized further.

So will post details up here as things develop. :thumbup:

Cheers

Rob

GVK, notenoughtime, Jon Olds and 6 others like this.
  2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Maybe bring it down to Curby on the 28th to set a "baseline" ;)

Welcome back to the VW/Audi stable once again Rob!

3. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Looking forward to your developments and reports Rob we hope all goes well and you have a great time racing :thumbup:

All the best on a new chapter of sprinting

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Good luck dude, hope it's competitive. :thumbup:

5. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Very nice it's a good colour for the shape too.

6. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Job 1. Wheels. Car came with some very nice looking 9x19 ET52 '5-parallel spoke star design' wheels fitted with Bridgestone Potenza S001 245/35-19 tyres. Tyres were fairly new so good tread depth but look a bit stretched on a 9" rim.

Most decent race tyres come in 18" so started looking for some 18s. Issue with TTS is the rather wide front ATE 4-pots (pic) and the rather high ET52 offset.

image.jpg

Looked around for a while and was drawing a blank apart from some very expensive but nice ATS wheels. Then by chance came across a photo of a German TTS with factory 18s. Turns out 8.5x18 ET50 is an optional wheel in Germany, and definately fit. 245/40-18 is std tyre.

image.jpg

image.jpg

That one is 8S0601025G 10-Y-spoke.

I also have photo evidence that 8S0601025E fits (below, same specs) but so far dont know if all of the other 18s fit, suspect they do...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Then just need some tyres. Two types under investigation so more on that soon.

Sirguydo and Toyotec like this.
  7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Wrong wheels delivered, what arrived was 8S0601025D. But they fit....and I like em so we'll keep them :)

11.9kg.

image.jpg

8. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Love it. I got to thrash a ttrs round the Nurburgring GP circuit and it was very impressive.

Much scope to pull weight out of it Rob?

9. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Hard to tell so far - all the suspension seems to be ali, all the bodywork is plastic or ali, the interior has to stay in for class regs, there's probably 10kg to be saved in a set of lightweight wheels if I can find anything suitable, maybe 10kg by using a lightweight battery and junking the tyre inflator / foam thingy instead of having a spare wheel. Probably another 10-20 from some lightweight front seats (maybe Tillett) but I'm quite liking the seat heaters this morning :) There's a carbon bonnet available from Audi Sport but . I'm not especially going to be thinking weight reduction on this project - more power (of which there is a lot of potential for over 500 horses), geometry, suspension, and diffs. There's a bunch of stuff that could be done with the adjustable magnetorhetorological (sp?) dampers so that's going to be an investigation.

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/damper_magnetorheological.html

Brakes are good enough for sprinting but need a more racey front pad with a touch more bite - the pads are a bit of a weird shape but I have finally tracked some down outside UK as there are very few (one ?) available at the moment - more details on that when they arrive. Most of standard manufacturers don't list anything presently.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  10. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Set of Toyo R888r GG arrived, 245/40-18. Weight 11.77 - 11.84kg.

image.jpg

11. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Amazing, will really look forward to the transformation!

12. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

New wheels with track tryz...:)

image.jpg

And a timing beam breaker made with ex-Radical carbon fibre rear wing endplate :)

image.jpg

And Racingline Oil Breather / Catch Tank. Once I got it to fit :( Dont expect to have to make my own bits and pieces at the price of these things....

image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  13. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I was reading elsewhere of a guy fitting a Racingline intake to his Edition 30, had to modify it some what to fit, ridiculous at 440

14. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Not only that, there were no instructions (the vendor actually pointed me towards a youtube video which was misleading and incorrect) and when I pointed out to RL that it didnt fit, I was told they would send me the right bits and some 'goodies' for the inconvenience and the photos and feedback I sent them. Still waiting. Not holding my breath. Not impressed one bit. Shame, some of the parts are nice.

15. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I bought a 600 info screen for our family Mk2 Kuga recently, no fitting instructions and all wiring labled in Chinese!. Seller was useless for any support, I had to trawl the internet to find out one of their connectors was miss-pinned.

Seem the old adage "you get what you pay for" doesn't ring true any more..

Lovely looking TT!, bet it goes well.

16. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Good project following with interest, but 1400kg!!!!!!
    Scary how much we need 'flab' Just how lazy have we got?
    Jon

17. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Lighter than the Mk2 TT....but yep, heavy. So much is ali as well so not entirely sure where all that weight comes from. Will be interesting to see how times compare with Ibiza, lots less power but 500kg less weight too. Gotta say it feels rapid :) and launch control is just unreal. Had a go in Revo's development Mk7 Golf R with big turbo conversion and about 500hp, and it did 0-100 from standstill on a damp road with old tyres in 7 seconds. Mindblowing.

18. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Started looking at setting up geometry and discovered that the whole front subframe can move from side to side! the bolt holes in the ali subframe are larger than the bolt shanks. Seems that the Mk7/MQB chassis is better than the Mk5/6 chassis in this regard, with fewer components that can move about, and there are already solutions to center or lock the front subframe in place.

034 Motorsport
    https://store.034motorsport.com/mqb...llar-upgrade-kit-8v-8s-audi-a3-s3-tt-tts.html

034-601-0028.jpg

Tyrolsport
    http://www.tyrolsport.com/suspensio...deadset-rigid-subframe-kit-for-mk7/mqb/a3/s3/

tsdskvw7.jpg

CTS Turbo

http://www.ctsturbo.com/cart/products/CTS_MQB_Front_Subframe_Bushing_Kit-4981-160.html

image.jpg

The subframe needs to be central and immobilized before going any further. Tyrolsport looks top notch but and maybe a bit overkill. Have gone for an 034 kit to try. OEM bolts and stainless inserts.

You can see the 4 larger subframe-to-chassis mount holes on this pic, two high up and two at the back. Mk7 subframe has integrated front and rear wishbone mounts.

image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  19. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Factory geometry settings for TT with sports suspension and magnetic ride, and in this case 19" wheels

Front toe: 0.7mm +/- 0.7mm toe in per wheel
    Front camber: -0.88 +/- 0.5 degrees each side, max difference L/R 0.5 degrees
    Front caster: 7.38 +/- 0.5 degrees

Rear toe: 1.8mm +/- 0.7mm toe in per wheel
    Rear camber: -1.33 +/- 0.5 degrees each side, max difference L/R 0.5 degrees

Thoughts from me are lots of front caster, and remarkably large tolerances seemingly allowable and ok for factory specs. Can do miles better with string devices at home!

notenoughtime likes this.
  20. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Mate of mine worked locally at Nissan in QA donkeys years ago and the ex factory tolerances for a robot built car would make you LOL.
    I used 8 bricks and string and chalk for years setting up my race mini.
    Still can't see a problem with this method
    Jon