'88 Golf GTI 8v Build - here we go again!

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Spacecowboy, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

Hi

Welcome to my build thread. This is a bit different for me as I'd long walked away from Mk2 GTI ownership but happened on this car recently and, well, just have to have it.

A bit of history first. The Mk2 GTI was the second car I'd ever owned. Straight after my 1275GT. I bought it for 500 from my brothers boss. It was an 8v Digifant 1987 Black small bumpered, quaterlighted front windowed car (the kind I don't see very often anymore) which I sold 5 years later for around 900. The syncro on 2nd gear was shot but that car drove so well and was so strong engine wise it did break my heart selling it but I'd found an Audi S3 so something had to give.

Anyway, fast forward 10 years or so and it's around September 2017 at 00:00 hrs and an ebay auction catches my eye. Long story short, I'm watching a car that doesn't make it's reserve so I wait until the following day to make that call.

After around an hour of chatting I review my position and call the chap back up with a one number offer. Somewhat reluctantly he accepts and I take a day off to travel up to Liverpool (on cheapass Megabus) and get an Uber to his house.

Now I knew the car had been messed with but when I arrived it was clear much more 'bolt-on 'upgrading' had been done...

Anyway with this in mind I negotiated further on price and settled a shade over a 1000.

The car is solid but had a running problem, idling like 2500 rpm was standard and cutting out to boot. Well I thought I'd roll the dice and drive it home. It had a years MOT afterall. So, as most of us have done before, I set off for the 2.5hr trip back to the West Mids.

30 mins into my journey it cuts out. I wiggle a few wires and disconnect and reconnect the ISV as the previous owner had mentioned and eventually she fires back up and I complete my journey. Just.

You will see from the photos that this thing had a Cherry Bomb exhaust. Mental. So I was deaf at this point but I put her safely on the drive to start work that weekend. Pics and more story to follow...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Toyotec likes this.
  2. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

Anyone know how to post pics? Or edit text^

3. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi. Sounds like this could be a fun journey for you - but be prepared to find some dodgy workmanship lol

If using a mobile device then at the bottom of this page switch to full site then you can edit posts and add photos.
    In full version you have some icons at the top, click photo icon (3rd box from the right), insert from computer and select which photo :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  4. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

Hi

I've found a bunch of 'improvements' that need to be made right but I suspect it won't stop there...

I'm viewing as full desktop site but cannot see anywhere to edit or add photos. The only add photo icon there is is in Quick Reply and that's a URL only? Do I need to be a full member to use this site normally or am I doing something else wrong? Thanks for your help

5. DN5

Ahh yes i believe that you need to be a paid member to add photos. Set up a free account with an image hosting website and go that route is always an option.
    As for editing I'm not sure if you have to be a member or not. I have a little pencil at the bottom of the box.
    Cheers

6. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

OK thanks for you reply. Looks like the bad grammar will have to stay for now...

Whilst I figure out the picture posting part, I've been reading up on the RJ Digifant tuning guide - some good info. Can someone confirm though the right order I should tune my car? Should I:

Set the dizzy right first against all timing marks;
    Then set the advance;
    Then set the CO etc?

Or should I follow a different permutation?

My concern is where do I start on the car given just how much its been messed with? I'm not convinced the Knock Sensor is all that clever; the sheathing to the cabling has all but disintegrated. I haven't tested the Blue temp sensor yet either. I'm just tempted to throw new ones of those on anyway - should I put this to the top of the list before I get into tuning?

For background, the major initial symptoms and problems since buying the car back end of last year:

Wild idling to ~2250;
    Cutting out and not restarting for a while;
    Engine cutting out and not restarting at all (dizzy replaced i.e. hall sensor now all good).
    The coil and TCI look to be new and the car is driveable (though engine gets rather warm in traffic...).

Work performed to date:

New Plugs
    New Leads
    New Earths
    New Battery Clamp
    New Complete Dizzy (01/03/2018)
    De-Pimped lights all round(!)

She runs and drives but has no guts. I'm sure the replacement dizzy is off its timing marks.

Appreciate the help :-)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  7. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

This looks to be quite a quiet forum. Is it worth paying 10 for full membership?

8. Cat88 Forum Member

Im not a paid member but I get along fine. I add pics and edit my build thread a lot. Suppose it depends what features your interested in using. Looking forward to your thread mate.
    I upload my pics to imgur then copy and paste the image address into the url image function

9. DN5

Another added bonus of paid membership is the classic car insurance discount :thumbup:

In respects of getting your machine running right again I'd personally start with setting the timing to try and steady the idling down a touch, then as per Rubjonnys guide that is available.

I followed his guide and it worked a treat.
    Definitely swap the blue temp sensor for genuine and definitely swap ALL the vacuum hoses and double check the routing in case someone has had them off previously and gotten them the wrong way around.

Rich.

10. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Cat88 for the tips.

Thanks DN5 also. She's idling ok now just a bit high. I'll set to on the timing and vacuum this weekend then move onto the CO settings etc.

11. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

12. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

I've just become a paid member and nothing has changed. Grateful if the Mods could look into this.

13. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Hi there.
    Is it pictures you need to up load?

Digifant tuning.

There is a difference between tuning an engine and maintaining it.
    The 'guide' on here is reword from the Haynes manual. which really seeks to cover running maintenance.

Digifant cars either work or do not. They are very very reliable. Both of my cars from the "How to ABF your MK2" were 8v digifants and I remember them foundly to always start in any weather or condition. And it did not matter if they had new oil, spark plugs of air filter. Always started on the button.

Tuning engines like that, can be anything from modifying the airbox, to swinging the dizzy around until there is some knock at load, to re-tuning the ECU, to fitting an exhaust system, cam SEM or even fitting a larger 8v engine.

14. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

Hi

Yes it is pics I'm trying to upload and to be able to edit messages I've already posted. Annoyingly I've paid up to full membership to be able to do this and messaged a Mod but I appear to have nothing in return for my money. Sorry about the rant but its getting rather annoying now.

With regards to tuning I'm just trying to get my engine running right. I want to keep it stock - my last GTi Digifant car was spot on the whole time just as you describe and I just want to get this one that way. I'll set about doing this the weekend and hopefully update.

15. Toyotec

Send me an email with evidence of payment number and I can attempt to upgrade your status on here.
    I will forward your annoyance to those who send out the packs etc.

16. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

Hi unfortunately you inbox has exceeded its quota so I'm unable to send you a PM [:s]

17. DN5

Do you not have this screen?
    Screenshot_20180317-085506.jpg

Tap here for uploading photos...
    20180317_085624.jpg

Choose to insert image From Computer and upload file.
    Screenshot_20180317-085522.jpg

Sometimes I find that the picture quality is too high for the uploader to deal with. Maybe it's too large a file or something I'm not sure. I just use this to resize and then save to my phone/computer and upload from there...
    http://picresize.com

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  18. Toyotec

toyotec(at)hotmail.om

19. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

Hi DN5 no I don't have that screen. I only have access to what seems to be a quick reply. That picture icon is present but only allows URL links not upload of images which I believe you get access to once you become a full member...

20. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

I stand corrected Ive found that screen now. Just can't edit above messages and still showing no membership details so I guess a switch needs to be flipped somewhere. I the meantime I'm going to time up my car!