Golf MKII 1,8t swap fuel relay issue

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by sammio15, Mar 11, 2018.

1. sammio15 New Member

Hi,

Im having a small issue with my swap, and dont know what to do next.
    My project is in that state that i tried to start the engine, but for some reason engine only runs for couple of seconds and then shuts down.
    I have used from a golf mkIV (AGU) its own wireharness and dash, so all the electrics is from MKIV.

I think that it is a fuel relay issue, because when i start the engine relay closes, but is opens almost immetiadely when car starts.
    Does the relay need crash signal?
    Electrics are no my strong side and i was afraid that i will bump in to this type of problems.

Has someone struggled with similar issue?
    Im so close to the finish line.

BR
    -Sami

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Have you had the ECU Deimmobilised? I had exactly the same thing. The ECU hadn't been De-immo'd properly.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

check the fault codes and measuring blocks next with vagcom. if it is the immobiliser it will say so, and if so you would then scan the dash clocks and it will tell you why its cutting in. if you have no comms to the ecu but can scan the clocks then check the diagnostics wiring between the ecu and cluster.

this symptom can also occur with a faulty crank sensor, to check that you would look at the engine rpm measuring block while cranking and while it starts breifly, if it doesnt change the sensor is bad.

4. sammio15 New Member

Hi,

Fault was in wire harness, i had wrong one in use, now engine works with correct one.
    Other question popped in my mind as i now own VCDS, how can i take out the yellow abs and red blinking light from dashboard.
    As i dont have abs or airbag in my car.

BR
    -Sami

5. rubjonny

6. sammio15 New Member

Ok, i will look this tomorrow.
    Can those have also effect on engine running?
    Because i talked too soon that engine is running ok, it starts normally but barely stays running, with heavy smoke coming out from exhaust pipe.
    First i thought that it is oil on top of the piston, because i have overhauled the whole engine, but now i think it is something else.
    I took spark plugs out and they were wet with gasoline.
    I read fault codes but nothing popped up from the engine side.
    Any ideas what i can check tomorrow.

One thing came in my mind, im not sure if i imagine it, but with the wrong harness connected engine run perfectly for those couple of seconds it stayed running.

7. sammio15 New Member

Washer fluid light is off turned now in the dashboard, but for some reason can gateway controller is not responding.
    Any ideas how to proceed and what to check?

8. rubjonny

those wont affect the running, just make the dash do annoying lights and noises.

is the agu engine all standard, or have you fitted a load of upgrade parts? because unless the ecu is mapped to suit everything thats on there it wont run well. check the injector part numbers, maf, fuel pressure regulator etc

9. rubjonny

can gateway is a strange one, as its built into the clocks! has it got an aftermarket stereo? they can mess up the k-line, though usually that would mean you cant scan clocks or ecu either so unlikely...

10. sammio15 New Member

Hi

Million tanks to you rubjonny for your support, and patience with me.:thumbup:

Lets start with the gateway, i disconnected the radio as i read that something like this can happen.
    Is there anything else what i can do or check.
    I may live with the lights blinking, but when i turn ignition key, hazard lights will blink XX seconds, and that is bit annoying.

But for the other issue, i pulled MAF connector out when engine was barely running, after that it started to run much better for few seconds.
    I have 2,5" pipe, bigger cooler and modified original turbo in the car.
    I have new injectors waiting, because plan was to run in the engine first (or how you say it in English), and then map the ecu+ install new bigger injectors.

11. rubjonny

the indicator flash sounds like alarm issue, if you dont want the alarm or central locking, windows etc then you can remove the CCM module under the dash near the relay carrier

if the ECU isnt mapped for all the modifications that wont be helping, is the MAF the standard AGU item? with VCDS you can scan thru all the ECU measuring blocks to check all the sensor inputs in real time, this is worth a look just to be sure everythign is happy

12. sammio15 New Member

Finally i have time to take a look at my car.
    What specific blocks should i check, and what should i find there.
    I´m amateur with VCDS, just want to make sure that i do right things when i´m testing/reading results.

13. rubjonny

just scan thru them all for starters, look for anythign off. say coolant temp block, is it way off what clocks read? inlet temp, is it close to ambient temp? things like that. if that all checks out ok then as I would say you might find the ecu map off vs all the modifications you've put on there

14. sammio15 New Member

coolant temp was showing accurate temp, also inlet temp was ok.
    The short period engine was in idle, i noticed that inj. period is way more than shown value in blue below the reading, also air mass in was also out of the range.
    Should i check that timing is correct, can it cause something like this?

15. sammio15 New Member

Hmmm this is strange, i got new spark plugs and coils today, so i installed them and started the car.
    First it run like before, but slowly idle was getting better and better, at the end i let car run 30min without any problems.
    I looked measuring blocks and every value was in the correct zone.
    So next thing is to put car ready for road test.

16. rubjonny

yay for the easy fixes :)