Various mk2 1.6 to 1.8KR questions

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Shugged, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Shugged New Member

Question one:
    Do I need to run a 2nd fuse box? My car is ce1 and the engine is ce2 Ive had a look at RJs fuse box guide but cant see anything to answer my question, I know that I need to take the wiper loom off my current loom and patch it in to the kr ce2 loom but will the ce2 plug fit in the ce1 fuse box?

Question two:
    Can I use the clutch, flywheel and gearbox from my 1.6 on the 1.8 kr? I know its not the best combination but I dont want the car sitting in the garage for 10 years till I get it the way I want, as a temporary solution to get it out the garage and on the road is it ok?

Question three:
    Relates to question two, will the 90mm CVs be up to the increased power of the kr?

Question four:
    Do I need 256mm brakes? It currently has 239mm solid disks on the front and drums on the back, I already have all the equipment from a polo to put disks on the back but do I need to upgrade the fronts or can I just buy gti disks and pads and this will suffice? Also will hubs/bearing carriers from a 4x100 mk3 golf fit straight on the mk2?

I know its a lot of questions that have probably been answered many times, but I cant find answers to my specific questions, I apologise if they are on here.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Rubjonny is the man to answer your questions.
    239mm fronts where standard for early 16gtis so theyll be fine especially with the improvements in pad material .

Shugged likes this.
  3. Shugged New Member

ok great, thanks!

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. the easiest way is get a ce1 16v loom, its not worth the hassle of converting a ce2 16v loom unless it is in mint condition. Theres not much to the fusebox though for a ce1 16v, its your call. you would base it all on your old engine loom though yes, keep the starter, reverse, wiper and a couple other bits. this thread is for abf -> ce1 but soem of it still applies, mainly ignore the ECU relay part as it hasnt got one and no need to convert coil/tci as its the same stuff from 1.6 to 16v.

the isv loom pretty much separate from the fusebox anyway, theres a black ignition live which you cut and put to D/2, D/7, or G spade 2 or 5. the brown/white from G1/5 chop and put a female spade on it, the spade is then only used if you fit a GTI clock loom for the MFA. The outside temp and oil temp red/white and black/green again need spades on, which go to the clock loom. the brown/white on outside temp crimp into the same female spade as you put on the old G1/5. Any more questions fire away!

2. box will fit, but get a 210mm 1.8 flywheel and new 8v sachs clutch to match it. For the flywheel easiest is a GTI/16v one but carb is also ok, just make a new timign mark for the 16v ignition ecu setup, EV measurement:
    [​IMG]

3. be fine

4. if you put decent GTI discs and pads on then with the rear discs what you will have is same as what a pre-88 MK2 16v has. Thing is while the hydraulic system is open its a good time to put a new 22mm master on it and some 256/280mm brakes...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Sirguydo and Shugged like this.
  5. Shugged New Member

as always, thank you for being so helpful RJ. The engine i have is from a corrado, does this have the same loom as the golf ?

I forgot to mention that i have a servo and master cylinder from a corrado.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

corrado is very similar to 90spec golf, couple differences though. one is the black/white ignition live for the ecu isnt piggy backed off the coil, rather it goes to a plug in the scuttle with the red/yellow and black/yellow then goes back to fusebox G2/4. you can either find this wire and put it to the coil live like a mk2, or at the fusebox end run it to D/2, D/7 or G spade 2 or 5 same as the isv live. other main one is rather than having plugs near the fusebox to separate the isv loom inside the car from the bay side its just joined direct, makes no real odds to you all the above still applies :)

if its a later loom theres a 4th pin on the scuttle plug which is a low amp rev counter feed for the late corrado clocks to G1/12, you can ignore that and keep the original CE1 rev counter red/black coil wire same as it was before.