Mk2 Golf Fog Lights not working - fuse / relay location?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by mike.s, Mar 20, 2018.

1. mike.s New Member

Hi,

My car just failed its mot on the fog lights not working unfortunately. I`m struggling a little to fix it - can someone help out with the location of the fuses / relay?

Its a late 91 Mk2 GTi -

The light on the switch lights up when you move it to the first click and stays lit when you move it to the second click - with the main lights on there are no fog lights on at all front or back.

Here is a pic of the fuse box - can someone help out with the locations?

Thanks, Mike

fuses.jpg

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Do you have front fogs? Or just rear?

I'm assuming you've checked the bulbs? The cover for fusebox has the locations of the fuse, or Google.

3. mike.s New Member

Hi,

Yes - i have front fog lights low down in the bumper. If i`m honest, i have`t had time to check the bulbs yet, but i`d be suprised if all of them front and back were not working.

It was more the relay i was interested in and which was it was - the haynes diagram doesn`t seem to match mine and neither do the ones i`ve googled. Most seem to show some additional fuses/relays above the ones i have which don`t seem to be there in mine. I was wondering if i had some early mk3 fuse box or something weird with mine being a very late mk2?

4. Savagesam

Give me a minute, I'll pop out and check the back of the cover. Mine has things that my car didn't have, ECU for example, it was a carb engine from the factory, so I had to add a fuse for the ECU.

You want relay 53 (the left one in your picture) and fuse 10. They are for the fogs :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    mike.s likes this.
  5. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Beaten to it. Check fuse 10 (15 Amp) first.

I don't think the front fogs matter in terms of MOT by the way.

mike.s likes this.
  6. mike.s New Member

Ah - cool thanks - i`ll check both of them and them the bulbs aswell. Knowing my car, it probably has a combination of all three not working!

Cheers

7. Savagesam

If you car was equipped with them from factory, it needs to have them doesn't it? I'm probably wrong.

8. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

9. Savagesam

Oh well that's good then.

Worst case OP can just wire a 12v supply to a switch, to get it through an MOT, that's what I done on my old car.

10. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I seem to remember the Driver I owned (without front fogs) had a little metal strap that linked two pins of the relay holder, presumably to work the rear fog in the absence of a relay. :thumbup:

Edit: false memory, see below...

11. Savagesam

Mine doesn't have anything in place of the relay, I only have a rear fog.

12. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

[strikethrough] What year's the car? [/strikethrough]

Scratch that, just remembered (via ebay pics of mk2 fuseboxes) that the strap I was thinking of is for the horn in posn 11 nextdoor, when there's a single-tone horn minus a relay; not the fogs at all.

13. Savagesam

1990 GL. Must have been on of the earlier ce2 as it's a G reg.

14. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Sorry, wasted your time. See big edits to my previous.

15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

for poverty spec mk2 with only rear fog what you had from the factory is a odd black plug with grey/white wire pushed into the fog relay socket, providing power from the headlight switch direct to the fog light switch. the relay is only fitted if the car is factory fitted with front fogs (but its no problem to use a relay on a car with only rear fog though)

Slot 5 should be empty, this is only for use on early CE2 Jetta MK2 and digifiz equipped cars, and would be a 42 or 43 relay. The 53 tyou have in there could be swapped with the fog relay just to rule that out. Slot 9 is for lights on/seatbelt warning, not something you would see on a UK spec mk2 so you can probably remove that as well. Finally your fuel pump relay in slot 12 is not right either, #18 is for x-live type and will mean your fuel pump is always on with ignition which is not safe if you crash. for a digi or 16v mk2 you need a 67, 80 or 167 relay.

anyway.... back to the actual issue :lol: for starters the light in the switch should only come on with the 2nd click when rear fogs are illuminated, so that makes me think the switch itself may be faulty. if oyu pop the switch out you should see 12v at the grey/yellow wire when the headlight switch is on the 1st or 2nd click. white/yellow should have 12v on 1st or 2nd click of fog switch, and grey/white should have 12v on 2nd click.

16. rubjonny

MK3 golf sometimes have a metal jumper in the fog relay socket, it depends on age of the car. for the poverty mk2/3 there is a jumper in the horn socket too, on cars with just the weedy single tone horn. for higher spec with dual tone they need a 53 relay to work properly

17. topnotch Forum Member

Cool - thanks for all the help here :-)

I had a quick look at lunch - the light on the switch does only come on with the second click and i`ve managed to get the single rear one working - bulb was loose in the holder :-)

No luck with the fronts though - tried swapping the 53 relay with another into slot 10 but no luck and fuse 10 is ok. I`ll check the connections at the lamps at the weekend - i wouldn`t be suprised if they weren`t plugged in to be honest!

18. rubjonny

ok cool, if the rear fog works now then the relay is all good, next step is check the 2 pin plug near header tank with white/yellow and brown wires, thats where the front fogs should be plugged into

topnotch likes this.
  19. topnotch Forum Member

Finally got round to having a look this weekend - someone had been at the front wiring with some electrical tape, bullet connectors, snips and weirdly a plastic bag. Wiring wasn`t even connected!

Will have a proper look when i get time as mot fail cert onyl says rear fog light - taking it back in 30 mins - hopefully for a pass this time!

20. Savagesam

Well at least you found the issue. Hope it passes :)