Track Mk2 spring rates

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by iguana, May 10, 2005.

1. iguana Forum Member

So had a thread on Mk2 racer spring rates, how about Mk2 track car rates.

Currently got Eibachs linked to Eibach pro dampers, great on road, but really is a bit too soft on track- esp on slicks.

Got Eibach ARBs & all round poly bushes (think Eibachs are 22F 25R)

I had wondered if just a set of koni adjustables would siffen it up nicely but when running slicks, really it feels like I need quite a bit harder spring rates as well as firmer dampers.

I know this will pretty much destroy its fun on roads tho if i got very hard. Tho perhaps if i could get harder springs but also progressively wound that would perhaps be better.

So suggetions on rates greatfully accepted & also if anyone knows the rates of the Eibachs (or H&Rs which Ive got a spare unused set of) as a comparison would be dead handy.

Also at what sort of poundage will I then have to go for solid top mounts?

Cheers

2. barny Forum Member

Stiffer springs do help the slicks to work better, although depending on who's advise you seek opinions are often different.

Progresive springs didnt work for me, if you want a fast track car build a track car, a fast road car is too much of a compromise for track use imho.

its fairly common knowledge what i run - 500frt and 600rr

Cheers[/QUOTE]

If you read keiths dads threads on the mk1 there are different theores (sp?) on what rate to runs, if softer springs with harder dampning is poss a better route etc. Depends on many things as ever ! Changing my rates made a much beter car for me, although now the avos cant cope with the springs anymore so its worth thinking long term as to what route you go. I hate to think how much i've blown on suspension over the years, there been at least three diff makes on it and numerous 2.25" springs in the shed, if i had thought about it a bit more i'd of just bought leda's from the off.

i like my suspension "guru" so i'll keep him in my pocket !

3. vrbanana Forum Junkie

WOW... some rear springs [:s]
    I knew you ran some siff rear springs but I didnt realise they were that stiff :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Who'd that be?

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Hmm, must have a 6ft odd deep pocket :lol:

6. barny Forum Member

i have a range rover remember :lol:

7. iguana Forum Member

I know what you mean B but several cars like RS porkers or Nobles etc do manage a reasonable compramise.

Im not sure just yet that im ready for a real hard road ride, but a brief drive in IanVs Mk1 made me realise just how soft mine is on track & got the old grey cells wondering....

Anyway hurry up get lumpy sorted coz I wanna take her for a run on the roads to see if its really totally undrivable on road or not.

Anyway come on fellas- thought id geta bit more feedback on this one...

8. Joe_G Forum Member

Well, if it's any help, standard Mk2 spring rates are:

8v - Front 117Lb, Rear 82Lb
    16v - Front 128Lb, Rear 98Lb

Eibach quote the Pro-Kit springs to be about 25% stiffer than stock so I imagine they'll be up around 150-160Lb fronts.

Standard coilovers tend to go for about 180-200Lb on the front springs.

The sports cars you've mentioned can do good handling on road and track by having better suspension design which keeps the tyre contact patch high over a wide range of leaning amounts so they can get away with softer springs.

When a golf starts to roll, the geometries go to pot fairly quickly I imagine so you have to keep it stiff.

That's how I see it anyway.

We'll see when I get my R1 engined kit car on track ..... :lol:

EDIT: I know the Eibachs are progressive rate so figures are only rough.

Joe
    Edited by: Joe_G

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Not seen you around here for a while Joe.

R1 engined kit-car.. tell me more!!

10. Joe_G Forum Member

Hehe, it'll be good ..... when it gets built [:$]

Probably going to go for a Fisher Fury with an R1 engine. They're starting a similar build in PPC's latest issue. 1300cc Hayabusa would be ideal but the engines are 3k for a second hand one. You can buy a brand new R1 engine for under 2k or a used one for 1k.

That's if I make it a road car ....

Otherwise I really like the look of this R1OT :thumbup:

Had enough of this front wheel drive malarkey [|)] :lol:

Joe

11. barny Forum Member

i doubt lumpy nor the mk1 racer will get done this year [:^(] , infact wouldn't surprise me if one or even both got sold/stripped [:^(] , you really dont wanna know whats in the pipe line [:^(] [:^(] [:^(]

12. steve r

steve r Forum Member

i currently have 300lb fronts and 200lb rear springs on my track car on avo coilovers, avo recommended these rates as a good starting point and they adjusted the internal bump to suit track use.

speaking to the bloke on the KW stand at inters about the variant 3 coilovers, if he did his sums right they come with springs in the region of 800-900lbs fitted which seemed a bit high to me.

i've been for a ride in barnys car, whiles its obviously a firm ride it's certainly not unbearable/undrivable on the road.

hope theres nothing too serious happening that will make you sell the cars barny [:s]

13. NormanCoal Forum Member

[:^(] [:^(] [:^(]

14. Sexy16v Forum Member

Well hello all!!!!
    Been a while but busy little lady atm!! i have just swapped from a fixed spring and helper spring to a prgressive rate spring setup - and would definitely NOT recommend progressive for track use hun, i can't feel what the cars is doing half the time - it certainly doesn't seem to drive into corners or round them particularly well and it certainly wallows and 'boings' out the otherside a little disconcertingly too - i can barely put up with it on road, and i know i drive hard but not like you nutters!!!!!LOL!

15. Sexy16v Forum Member

is that with or with out his wasp killng shoe?

16. iguana Forum Member

Joe- cheers for those spring rates. yes R1 kit car is a great choice, a buddy is building one at the mo, defo given me the bug too, I love Caterhams & have driven many, but simply can't afford the performance im after in a Caterham, so BEKC perhaps is the way forward.

Barny- thats sad news old bean, surely you would regret it in a big way tho?

17. barny Forum Member

....not much choice mr [8(]

18. iguana Forum Member

Steve, I know you now run 350/250, so was this a typo when you put 300/200 in this (old) thread or did you actually run 300/200 & then later uprate to 350/250.

cheers

19. steve r

steve r Forum Member

I think that is a typo as i'm sure they are 350/250, i'll try to find the receipt from avo to confirm as i'm now starting to doubt myself [:s]

Edit: Found the receipt, I'm not loosing my mind just yet:

350fr (9" long) and 250r (10").

Part numbers are E9350 and E10250 22 each in march 2004.

both 2.25" and i fitted 4" helper springs to the rear as when the car was jacked up the rear springs were loose.

Edited by: steve r

20. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

Steve, were you not fitting passat spring or was that a mistake ?